Cooper Rush not willing to give up QB2 spot without a fight

Motorola

Reaction score
True but I would take Cooper over at least half a dozen (maybe more) backs around the league. In other words, if the Cowboys made him available, I def think they could find a trade partner. Maybe no more than a 6th or 7th rounder but still

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-backup-qb-rankings/
And as I mentioned before, trading for Rush would mean paying for his $2.5 mill salary for a one-season rental plus the draft pick (which at least you considered would be very low).
Teams IMO would just wait it out until just before the regular season begins to see if Dallas releases him.
Also - from your initial comment on this thread (#10) you're assuming Lance will be QB2 'by default' when no one knows if he CAN beat out Rush for the backup position.
Everyone knows Lance's physical ability and arm talent are superior to Rush - but can he actually play the position better?
We'll see starting in a month from now.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
And as I mentioned before, trading for Rush would mean paying for his $2.5 mill salary for a one-season rental plus the draft pick (which at least you considered would be very low).
Teams IMO would just wait it out until just before the regular season begins to see if Dallas releases him.
Also - from your initial comment on this thread (#10) you're assuming Lance will be QB2 'by default' when no one knows if he CAN beat out Rush for the backup position.
Everyone knows Lance's physical ability and arm talent are superior to Rush - but can he actually play the position better?
We'll see starting in a month from now.
That's the question.........but here are the two issues Jerry could face
  • Lance doesn't do enough to EARN the backup job ahead of Rush......will he cut him or keep him as 3rd stringer
  • You can't lie to players in the locker room, they will KNOW who is the better player.
As for a trade, I guess we have to wait and I see no reason to keep Lance if he can't win the backup job.

Chasing6

Reaction score
His production during PS will determine his tradability and is more important than freeing up any cap space.
I don't think he will have any trade ability once camp is over. He could not learn here last year after camp. He will have the same problem going to a new team after camp.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The bottom line is the Cowboys know what they have in Rush already. It doesn't matter how he looks at this point.

The only thing that is going to change their minds about QB 2 is what Trey Lance does in camp and the preseason. If I were the Cowboys I would let Lance play every snap in all three preseason games, because that's what he needs. Reps, reps, and more reps.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If Lance doesn’t look good in preseason he won’t be the backup.
Do you think Jerry cut him w/o him ever playing in a regular season game.....admitting he blew a 4th round pick? I'm not sure but I can him trying to save face by trading Coop.

JayFord

Reaction score
Good...man is 5-1 as our backup I would hope he isn't going to let it go easily

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was 42-16 at the beginning of the 4th quarter.... starting slow is maybe the first couple drives, not 3 full quarters. Green Bay had already pulled their starters by then, so if you want to call it 'fighting back', more power to you. People who don't have their heads up Daks rear end call it garbage time stats.
41-16. No need in giving Green Bay an additional point after three quarters. Dallas had already surrendered a ton of them by then anyway.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's funny how they throw out all these huge Prescot stats, but the never give you the real dirt before Prescot goes on his run. Prescot always finds a way to look more important than he really is to the Cowboy's organization. The GB game was one of those games where if you looked at Prescot's box score first, you would have thought that the Cowboys blew GB away OR gave GB a run for their money, but once again the great TOAD HUNTER was MIA when his mates really needed him to shine. Let's face it, the dude is over hyped and overpaid and is more on the mediocre side than the BIG GAME player we all hoped he would be.
It is obviously you don't know how to read a box score.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Do you think Jerry cut him w/o him ever playing in a regular season game.....admitting he blew a 4th round pick? I'm not sure but I can him trying to save face by trading Coop.
They certainly aren’t going to play Lance during the regular season if he doesn’t look good in preseason. He won’t be the backup if he doesn’t look good in preseason. He cut Drew Henson who he gave up a third round pick for after only playing a half. Henson was only on the team one season and we were searching for a starting QB at the time.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We know what we have in Rush. A very good back up. We should see a lot of Lance in preseason. The better he looks the better the offer for him. Usually a qb gets injured and another possible starter is needed.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
41-16. No need in giving Green Bay an additional point after three quarters. Dallas had already surrendered a ton of them by then anyway.
My mistake.... I was close. I'm sure that 1 point was a huge difference maker.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My mistake.... I was close. I'm sure that 1 point was a huge difference maker.
Is one more point atop that complete debacle and embarrassment to the Dallas Cowboys franchise and the National Football League necessary?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The abnormal lengths that some go to defend Dak and lay the blame on everything but Dak? That could be part of it. Dak could throw 10 int's and 5 pick 6's in a single game and there's at least one diehard at CZ, maybe more, who would blame the loss on the defense. Or the lack of a run game. Or bad coaching. See where I'm going with this?
You take those same lengths and extremes to oppose Dak so what’s the difference? For instance you just accused me of defending Dak and blaming everyone but Dak. You have no basis for this it’s just how you help justify your hyperbolic takes.

I don’t see where you’re going with this.

There is a way to blame Dak and others. For the crowd that can’t understand that they are the issue.