Cooper Rush not willing to give up QB2 spot without a fight

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Save for the 2020 season - Rush has been the Cowboys backup quarterback since 2017.
Dallas has much respect for Cooper.

He’s the ultimate relief pitcher.

Lance is here to push Dak.

at some point, Lance is going to be taking QB1 snaps.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Lance is here to push Dak.

at some point, Lance is going to be taking QB1 snaps
:lmao: Man.......even Jerry admits Lance is competing with Rush as Dak's backup and early indications are he is struggling. As it stands right now, he may not make the team.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:lmao: Man.......even Jerry admits Lance is competing with Rush as Dak's backup and early indications are he is struggling. As it stands right now, he may not make the team.
Not according to MM, Trey has looked good.
Broaddus is the only one that has said, that I know of, Trey has struggled. But he does not like him. So being the poor reporter he is. He is biased.
Then a few Trey haters who fear him, take that and run with it. Repeating themselves over and over hoping it will catch on.

Everyone knows, the back up is between Trey and Cooper. It is beyond 2024, they fear the change that may happen.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Not according to MM, Trey has looked good.
Broaddus is the only one that has said, that I know of, Trey has struggled. But he does not like him. So being the poor reporter he is. He is biased.
Then a few Trey haters who fear him, take that and run with it. Repeating themselves over and over hoping it will catch on.

Everyone knows, the back up is between Trey and Cooper. It is beyond 2024, they fear the change that may happen.
IDK Jazz......this doesn't give me a lot of confidence, especially for a player who has been in the league 4 years. I admit the 49ers and Shanahan didn't do him any favors but after 4 years we should see more than basic fundamental skills and it appears he struggling a little with that. I would love to see the kid catch fire and not only beat out Rush but challenge Dak a bit but he's just not ready.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...close-to-being-a-master-of-the-cowboys-system

The 49ers made Trey Lance the third ue pick in the draft after he had started just 17 games at North Dakota State. Then they traded him to the Cowboys after he had started just four games in San Francisco. Lance never played a down in his first year with the Cowboys, so there still isn’t much to evaluate him on. But coach Mike McCarthy likes what he sees this offseason.

McCarthy said Lance is “definitely” an improved quarterback compared to where he was when he arrived in Dallas last year, and that his work in learning the Cowboys’ offense has been outstanding.

“Young quarterback comes into a new system, so you got the learning curve, but now starting to get the timing with the routes,” McCarthy said. “He’s close to being a master of the system. He has a really high understanding. He’s communicating very well. He looks more and more comfortable. He just needs reps. I know I say that every time I talk about him. He just needs as many reps as he can.

Flamma

Reaction score
Some guys can't help it....Romo had one his whole career.
I always wondered why Rush didn't work on his arm strength. It wasn't just weak, it's noticeably weak. Romo, while not having the best arm, you didn't see arc throwing 10-15 yard out patterns. I don't get it with Rush. Every QB in the league can throw short to medium passes on a line. Some better than others. But no noticeable arc.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
There is no backup QB controversy, Jerry has already decided that.
I certainly hope not. Jones has a terrible record of evaluating talent. I hope he leaves it up to the players and coaches to make the decision based on performance. The rest of the team would not look favorably on the owner keeping the wrong guy just because....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I always wondered why Rush didn't work on his arm strength. It wasn't just weak, it's noticeably weak. Romo, while not having the best arm, you didn't see arc throwing 10-15 yard out patterns. I don't get it with Rush. Every QB in the league can throw short to medium passes on a line. Some better than others. But no noticeable arc.
I really thought Rush wouldn’t make it in the league with this passes. So much arc on those throws.

reddyuta

Reaction score
If Lance cant beat noodle arm Rush stright up with all the practice time he will get then we are better off cutting him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I’m not saying Rush didn’t do his part. I’m just disagreeing with the notion HE went 4-1 and we went 4-1 because of him. I never suggested he didn't do his part. He did.
I'm trying to learn to ignore those who blame or credit a team's record on the quarterback. It is such a poor way to judge a position in a team sport. And we don't do it with any other position. I mean, no one looks back on the 1989 season and blames Troy Aikman for us being 1-15. No one blames that record on starting RB Paul Palmer, either. But, of course, that's probably only because we have the benefit of hindsight and know that the problems had nothing to do with the QB, and had a lot to do with counting on too many Paul Palmers.

It seems that the only way for a QB to shake the blame that the record is his fault is if his team wins a Super Bowl, and even then that's when fans will bring up that it is a team sport, if they don't like the QB.

I don't want to take anything away from Rush for what the team accomplished, and I think there's a tendency to do that because of those who give him all the credit for it. But those who do that are either ignorant or purposely trying to push buttons. Neither of those are a good reason to discredit him IMO.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I really thought Rush wouldn’t make it in the league with this passes. So much arc on those throws.
Smarts can make up for a lot. I don't consider Dak to be a dumb QB like his critics, but Rush's strength is his football IQ. There have been other weak-armed QBs who have had similar careers simply because they can read the field and know where to go with the ball despite their limitations. Where they usually run into trouble is when there is a lot of pressure and they can't step into their throws (because they can't get them there on arm alone) or when their receivers can't get much separation. We saw that against Philly.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm trying to learn to ignore those who blame or credit a team's record on the quarterback. It is such a poor way to judge a position in a team sport. And we don't do it with any other position. I mean, no one looks back on the 1989 season and blames Troy Aikman for us being 1-15. No one blames that record on starting RB Paul Palmer, either. But, of course, that's probably only because we have the benefit of hindsight and know that the problems had nothing to do with the QB, and had a lot to do with counting on too many Paul Palmers.

It seems that the only way for a QB to shake the blame that the record is his fault is if his team wins a Super Bowl, and even then that's when fans will bring up that it is a team sport, if they don't like the QB.

I don't want to take anything away from Rush for what the team accomplished, and I think there's a tendency to do that because of those who give him all the credit for it. But those who do that are either ignorant or purposely trying to push buttons. Neither of those are a good reason to discredit him IMO.
The thing you have to look for and ignore...are people that set up different criteria for different players.

If you blame romo for a bad record then blame Dak too. But you'll rarely see THAT!

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys desperately want Lance to look good. I believe it is one of the reasons for the delay in Dak's new contract.

I think the #2 spot is already Lance's and it is his to lose. Cooper would have to clearly outplay Lance in order to be #2. I'm not rooting for any particular outcome, but it will be interesting.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smarts can make up for a lot. I don't consider Dak to be a dumb QB like his critics, but Rush's strength is his football IQ. There have been other weak-armed QBs who have had similar careers simply because they can read the field and know where to go with the ball despite their limitations. Where they usually run into trouble is when there is a lot of pressure and they can't step into their throws (because they can't get them there on arm alone) or when their receivers can't get much separation. We saw that against Philly.
Rush might have had arc...but somehow his receivers got a lot of their targets caught. And Rush rarely...if ever? harms his defense with mindless turnovers.

Not fancy, but he's an ideal backup.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys desperately want Lance to look good. I believe it is one of the reasons for the delay in Dak's new contract.

I think the #2 spot is already Lance's and it is his to lose. Cooper would have to clearly outplay Lance in order to be #2. I'm not rooting for any particular outcome, but it will be interesting.
I think we're looking for the best player to show himself and play. Whoever that is...I'm rooting for them all. For the best for the TEAM.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Rush might have had arc...but somehow his receivers got a lot of their targets caught. And Rush rarely...if ever? harms his defense with mindless turnovers.

Not fancy, but he's an ideal backup.
I wouldn't call him ideal. A player like Steve Beuerlein in the 1990s was my idea of ideal, but that's the type of player that someone is going to give a starting opportunity. Rush's arm strength will always make him less than ideal. He completed less than 60 percent of his passes while going 4-1. However, we can and have done much worse than him.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't call him ideal. A player like Steve Beuerlein in the 1990s was my idea of ideal, but that's the type of player that someone is going to give a starting opportunity. Rush's arm strength will always make him less than ideal. He completed less than 60 percent of his passes while going 4-1. However, we can and have done much worse than him.
So not sure what you are saying. You like him and hate him?

I mean...what> what is it you want from me!!!!
:laugh:

chagus

Reaction score
Trey is 4-4 as a starter.
Rush is 5-1 as a starter.
Advantage Rush.