Cop Tasers Guy for Walking Away From Him

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
heavyg;1807645 said:
From what I read of their policy the officer has the option to write refused to sign or arrest the subject. In this case the officer decided to arrest him. If it were me. I would have wrote refused to sign. But thats just me. I really am not that big of a hard ***. But I also see where the driver in this case was wrong for not doing what he was told.
In many states (maybe even all states), citation isn't even necessary. An officer can arrest the individual without even writing a ticket.

heavyg

Reaction score
theogt;1807687 said:
In many states (maybe even all states), citation isn't even necessary. An officer can arrest the individual without even writing a ticket.

Oh if you arrest someone depending on the charge there is going to be a minimum of an incident report and/or a citation

By the way what is a strawmen?

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Rack;1807399 said:
I'm the dense one?

You're the ****** that doesn't know how to follow simple instructions from a police officer.

And even if I did get out of the car, since the officer told me to get back in the car he has every right to YELL at me for not complying.

:laugh2: you are hilarious. I am the ****** that doesn't follow instructions from the officer? are you trying to say i was there, that i got pulled over? :laugh2:. Ha it would seem that you are the dense one. And you can't answer a simple question, if your wife was screaming outside the car and you looked back and saw a weapon you would just sit there?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
heavyg;1807690 said:
Oh if you arrest someone depending on the charge there is going to be a minimum of an incident report and/or a citation
Right, but the decision not to arrest is purely discretionary. In other words, he could have arrested the guy regardless of his refusal to sign the citation. Simply breaking a law gives the officer the ability to arrest him.

By the way what is a strawmen?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1807012 said:
The point is that, because the cop was not justified, the driver was shocked that he pulled the taser. Any person would be shocked in that situation. The driver was scared because the cop was acting irrational and began to back up. That's when the cop tased him.

this is the only thing I disagree w/ here, if someone is shocked by a cop pulling a taser on them, the wise thing to do would be to freeze and comply w/ the cop's orders

dude maybe was too quick to pull out the taser, but once he gave an order, and it was refused, w/ the suspect walking away, textbook standard is to get the suspect on the ground, which is what the cop did

even if the cop didn't pull out his taser, doesn't look like the driver was willing to cooperate

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1807068 said:
The guy was putting his wallet in his pocket as he got out of the car because the cop had just asked for his license and registration.

He never posed a threat to himself or the cop. And the cop never attempted to arrest the driver without the taser.

Not justified.

that is the stupidest thing you can do in front a cop who's just pulled you over, reach into your pockets, especially after being belligerent

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1807762 said:
that is the stupidest thing you can do in front a cop who's just pulled you over, reach into your pockets, especially after being belligerent
There's a pretty big difference between being belligerent and acting how this guy was acting.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Neither man in said video acted smartly nor is innocent of blame for the outcome. The cop could have handled the situation without it resorting to the taser or arresting the man, and the man could have avoided it by signing the ticket and fighting it in court. Whether he was in the right or not (regarding the speeding ticket), that is not the time or place for an argument.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1807780 said:
So was the cop. The difference is that the cop resorted to violence.

he actually took it a step below violence

but he gave an order, it wasn't like it was an immoral one

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
These 2 should settle it in Thunderdome.

rhombus.11729.jpg

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;1806529 said:
I think you need to watch the video again. He didn't argue with the cop when he pulled the gun, he backed away towards his vehicle (safety) because he was scared because it was obvious the cop had lost his mind and he didn't know what he was going to do.

1) Saying that cop "lost his mind" is asinine... the guy never really raised his voice or ANYTHING to justify your claiming that...

2) If you back away from a cop who's drawn a weapon on you, you're an IDIOT...

In some places signing the ticket = guilty, no court.

Bullbleep...

The cop asked him to get out of the car, didn't place him under arrest there,

OK, now you're just LYING, which suggests to me that you're just one of those mindless cop haters, who think that ALL of them are "pigs"... the cop told him while he was sitting in the car that if he didn't sign the citation, he'd have to place him under arrest... he then asked the guy to get out of the car...

The guy knew when he got out of the car what was gonna happen next...

The guy walks back to the cop car, and points at the sign to show the cop what he was trying to tell him before. Completely normal.

You think arguing with a cop over a traffic ticket, while standing beside a rather busy road, is "completely normal"?? That suggests to me that you're no stranger to wearing handcuffs...

That is until the cop doesn't like the guy casually talking to him and trying to explain the situation as he saw it and whips out the tazer.

You don't argue with cops... if you do, you're an idiot... if you think the ticket you're getting is unfair, you fight it in COURT...

The guy did absolutely NOTHING that was threatening to the officer. He gave no indication that he was going to resist at all.

He was ordered TWICE to put his hands behind his back, and refused both times... that's not only an indication that he's "going" to resist arrest, that's resisting arrest...

And he didn't resist, he backed away from a crazed lunatic.

I've watched the video a number of times now, and calling the cop a "crazed lunatic" is beyond ridiculous... the guy was calm throughout the whole scene...

He did not give the man a chance to be arrested peacefully. He didn't give him a chance to comply to his orders to put his hands on the car.

He gave the guy TWO chances to be arrested peacefully, and the guy refused both times...

My attitude towards police is just fine. They have a certain amount of authority, but they don't have unlimited power, and shouldn't be allowed to get away with trying to act like they do.

ROTFLMAO... you say your attitude towards police is "just fine", then you turn around and issue a blanket indictment of ALL police officers, saying they try to act like they have "unlimited power"...

I've argued tickets before, but unlike in this instance I wasn't forced to sign anything, and was able to go to court later. We aren't forced to sign tickets here. They give them to us and we mail them back signed with the fine, or go to court.

That's the way it works here in Virginia, too... but apparently, the law is a bit different in Utah...

And how STUPID is it anyway, to refuse to sign a ticket when the ticket clearly says that signing is not an admission of guilt??

And court isn't always an option for people, if you're hundreds of miles from home you can't exactly fight it, so you have to plead your case with the cop.

Has anybody in here ever had any success with "pleading your case with the cop"?? Try THINKING for a second, the guy has just written you a citation, which clearly means in his eyes, you've broken the law... and you think if you stand there and ARGUE with him, he's gonna change his mind??

Son, that's IDIOTIC... the ONLY thing you stand a chance of doing is pissin' the cop off, then you'll get to sit by the roadside and watch as he tosses your car, looks for mechanical defects that he could cite you for, looks for drugs... IOW, you're inviting those guys who you think are "acting like they have unlimited authority to HASSLE you...

You'd better wise up before your next traffic stop, or you're gonna wind up in jail, maybe even tased your own self...

In this case the cop didn't want to listen

It's not the cop's JOB to listen while you argue with him... just take your ticket, and be on your way...

That's what's comical in all of this, you're sticking up for a moron who basically caused his own problems... ALL he had to do was shut up, sign the citation, and he would have been on his way unharmed in a matter of minutes... but he apparently shared the same attitude you do, and he got his butt lit up for it...

He deserved everything he got, for being a card-carrying IDIOT...

and just felt like tazing.

Oh, now you're a mindreader, too...

It's not like the guy was arguing for a long time or being really belligerent or anything. He was simply trying to state his case, pretty calmly too.

Except he was stating his case to the wrong guy... and then, he went over the line, and resisted arrest...

ZZZZZZAAAAAPPPPPP... bet ya the next time an officer tells him to put his hands behind his back, he'll do it... and with that guy's stupidity, there will most assuredly be a next time...

And now, in addition to being shocked out of his shoes, the guy has bought himself some more serious charges to answer to...

silverbear

Reaction score
heavyg;1806538 said:
I saw the video. He did nothing wrong...With your way of thinking if he waited it could be his life. Moral of this story is don't act a fool and you wont get tazed. The tazer was not pulled to quickly. He pulled it....that should have been the dudes first clue he was serious about him putting his hands behind his back....had he complied at that point no tazer used

Well, I think the taser came out a little too quick, but everything else you say is dead on... if a cop draws his gun on you, are you gonna do what the cop says, or are you gonna stand there and argue with a loaded gun?? Once the driver saw that taser come out, if he'd had a lick of sense (which he clearly doesn't, any more than his defenders in here do) he would have done EXACTLY as he was told...

Even if he was outraged at the way he was being treated, he can file a complaint with the cop's superiors after the fact... but nooooo, he had to indulge his testosterone, and he paid for his ignorance...

silverbear

Reaction score
theogt;1806546 said:
The guy didn't act a fool. He was never given the chance to comply.

That's just a LIE...

He was told while he was sitting in the car that he would be arrested if he refused to sign the citation...

He was ordered to get out of the car at that point, the only order he obeyed...

He was told to place his hands behind his back, and did not do so...

He was told a second time to place his hands behind his back, and did not do so... instead, he starts backing toward his car, raising the possibility that he was going to try to flee the scene...

He got tased...

Clearly, he was given ample opportunities to comply... it's a measure of how wrong you defenders are that you have to distort what that video clip CLEARLY showed, in order to try to defend your ridiculous position...

I just hope you're never stupid enough to act that way toward a cop, but if you are, you probably shouldn't come in here looking for sympathy...

And a cops life is always in danger. Should he walk around with the taser pulled at all times because there's a possible threat of danger? No, of course not.

Well, I can agree that the cop pulled the taser too early in that situation... but he didn't USE it until a time where I consider it appropriate to have used it... at that point, his only alternatives were to let the guy walk away, and NO cop is gonna let a guy walk away from an arrest just to avoid a confrontation, or he could have tried to put the cuffs on the guy, IOW wrestled around with him...

Well, since the advent of the taser as a weapon for police forces across the country, cops have been taught to use the taser instead of gettin' in a wrestling match... there's less chance of serious harm to themselves, and there's less chance of serious harm to the offender too (you'll note the guy was NOT seriously injured, at the end of the clip he's sitting in the back of the patrol car, still arguing)...

Though he pulled that taser too quickly IMO, he USED it in precisely the way he was trained to...

silverbear

Reaction score
theogt;1806558 said:
It's funny that you know this yet the police department refused to confirm that he acted properly or that he acted according to standard operating procedure.

According to that department's policy, use of a taser is only appropriate where all other methods of controlling an individual are unreasonable.

Obviously that wasn't the case here.

OK, what other method of "controlling the individual" would YOU have used in that situation??

Seems to me the options were:

1) Stand there and argue with the guy for 20 minutes, which is what the driver seemed to want... well, no cop can do that...

2) Let the guy walk away from the citation... no cop can do that, either...

3) Attempt to put the cuffs on the guy without tasing him, which could well have resulted in a brawl right there on the side of the highway... a brawl where one or both men might have wound up in the path of oncoming traffic out on the highway... this would put both the cop's life and the driver's life in jeopardy...

4) Tase the driver, then cuff him...

Now, which if these options would you advocate?? Or do you have some other option to offer??

You're real quick to jump down the cop's throat, so tell us how YOU would have defused the situation...