Cop Tasers Guy for Walking Away From Him

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Dallas;1806592 said:
When in this video does the officer tell the suspect you are under arrest?

While the driver's still sitting in the car, he tells him that if he refuses to sign the ticket, the cop will have to arrest him... the cop then orders him to get out of the car; clearly, he did so in order to put him under arrest...

That guy knew that when he got out of the car, and I suspect you knew that when you asked the question...

This trooper has been put on desk patrol for the time being.

Which his department was more or less forced to do because of all the publicity this incident has gotten...

He has had serious death threats since tasering this individual 2x in the back.

Ohhh, so some whack jobs have threatened him, that CLEARLY prove he was wrong...

ROTFLMAO...

silverbear

Reaction score
theogt;1806603 said:
Uhh....the guy wasn't resisting arrest. He was never told he was being placed under arrest. Immediately after telling him to put his hands behind his back, the cop pulls the taser. The cop did not give the guy a chance to comply.

Again, that's a lie... I don't know why you keep on repeating that lie, but it does not help to reinforce your bogus stance...

The guy never resisted anything. He freaked out when he had a weapon pointed at him and started backing up in fear. He never resisted.

I'm quite sure the lawyers in here will tell you that refusing to place your hands behind your back when you're ordered to by a police officer, then backing away from the officer when he draws a taser, fits into the legal definition of "resisting arrest"...

When a cop tells you to put your hands behind your back, there's only one reason for doing so, and even YOU know it-- you're about to be handcuffed, put under arrest... and if you refuse to do so, you're resisting arrest (you're not resisting arrest with VIOLENCE, but physically fighting the cop is not the standard for resisting arrest)...

Have you even watched the video?

About 10 times now... and with each viewing, I become more convinced the cop did exactly what he should have, with the exception of drawing that taser too early... I think if I had been in the cop's shoes, the only things I would have done differently were:

1) At the time the driver refused to sign the citation, I would have explained to him that signing the citation was not an admission of guilt, and his refusal to do so would force me to place him under arrest... a little better communication at that point might have helped avoid what happened...

2) Before drawing the taser, I would have told the guy to put his hands behind his back, or I'd have to use the taser on him... THEN I'd draw it...

But neither of those failures on the part of the cop justifies the driver resisting arrest... he chose to do that all on his own, and when he did, he got lit up for his stupidity...

silverbear

Reaction score
theogt;1806622 said:
He didn't give him a chance to comply before pulling the taser. And when he pulled the taser the guy freaked out and backed up like anyone would.

Maybe YOU would have, but I sure as hell wouldn't... somebody pulls a weapon on me, especially a police officer, I'm gonna stand quite still, and do whatever the cop tells me to do... in fact, I HAVE done exactly that, in that story I told earlier about a cop hassling my nephew because of a case of road rage (on the cop's part)...

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile;1806634 said:
The guy begged the cop to "read him his rights." Not once, but several times. The officer never did.

The police are only required to read an offender his or her rights before questioning them... there is no legal requirement that it be done promptly at the time of arrest... my hunch is that SOP for most police departments in this kind of offense is to read the offender his rights when they get him back to the police station...

The speed limit sign the officer is enforcing is right in front of his car as he pulls over and then pulls back out to pull the guy over. It seems reasonable to me that it could not be seen. I don't normally read signs through other vehicles.

But the cop said there was a second sign some distance earlier up the highway (I think he said a half mile)... that's what the driver was arguing, he wanted the cop to take him back and show him the other speed limit sign...

I would have signed the ticket and fought it.

And you wouldn't be famous on YouTube today... you wouldn't have gotten arrested, and you wouldn't have gotten tasered...

If I were the tasered man, I would fight this. I don't think that was necessary at all, but you never push your luck, and he did.

Oh, there will be a lawsuit, count on it... and in all likelihood, the police department that cop works for will settle the suit out of court...

Even though I'd bet good money that that cop did nothing that was out of policy for his department...

silverbear

Reaction score
locked&loaded;1806782 said:
Dude atleast admit the cop was an ***, the way he yelled at the guys wife for checking if he was ok.

Cops have been killed by wives and girlfriends coming up behind them as the cop is trying to arrest the significant other of the lady... without backup on the scene (the backup arrived a short time later), what he did is what ANY cop would have done in that situation... as for "yelling" at the wife, to me he spoke in what the cops call an "authoritative voice", so as to make sure the woman knew he was serious...

I saw absolutely nothing wrong in the way he interacted with the wife... you'll notice that she at least had sense enough to obey his orders...

he brought him out of the car for what? he was going to take him to prison for not signing the ticket?.

Nope, just down to his station, hold him for a coupla hours, then release him... this is to hassle the driver, plain and simple, to drive home to him that he can't disobey a lawful police order... but ultimately, he would have been given a citation for his additional offenses, and sent on his way...

silverbear

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1806825 said:
But at that point, it's too late. When the cop asks you to get out of the car, you have to do exactly as he says. He is not asking you to get out so you can freelance. There is a protocol to be observed and police officers can't be flexible when the driver is walking outside his vehicle. It's for the officer's own protection. The guy had plenty of time to comply and the police officer warned him. The guy was just being argumentative and didn't want to be arrested. Granted, I wouldn't want to be arrested either for such a petty issue but I'm intelligent enough to know the officer means business and if he is giving me a set of instructions, I'm going to comply. I can always contest this or report the officer later.

What's so hard to understand about that??

silverbear

Reaction score
heavyg;1806831 said:
Actually no. He was arresting the dude and he resisted. You resist the officer goes hands on. Just to be sure I had my Sergeant watch the video and asked him if everything was within our policy. He said yes. He only questioned how quick the tazer was pulled. But said once he was told to put his hands behind his back and refused it was time for hands on (pharaphrased of couse)

I'm not a cop, but that's how I figured it worked... and as I've said repeatedly, I share your sergeant's reservations about how quickly the cop pulled the taser...

The only thing I can figure out is that cop was one of those rare, comparatively cowardly cops whose biggest nightmare is getting into a physical confrontation... generaly speaking, people that timid (if that's the word I'm looking for) don't wind up in law enforcement, but I guess it could happen... and a guy like that might be quick to go to the taser if he saw the potential for a situation getting physical...

That would, of course, indicate that this cop ought to consider a career change...

silverbear

Reaction score
theogt;1806842 said:
He pulled the taser before the guy resisted. The guy backed up because the cop pulled the taser for no reason.

For all the guy knows this cop is crazy and going to kill and rob his family. The cop acted unreasonably and freaked the guy out.

No, the guy got stupid... there's nothing more to it than that... the cop was not abusive, he wasn't hostile, indeed he walked away when the driver first tried to argue about the existence of another speed limit sign a bit further down the highway...

So there was nothing at all to make that guy think "this cop is crazy and going to kill and rob his family"... that's just a load of crapola you're shovelling, trying to justify your ridiculous argument... instead, what we had was a stubborn ******* who thought he could argue with a cop giving him a ticket...

silverbear

Reaction score
theogt;1806865 said:
Yeah, he's just a young punk that was asking for it.

With his pregnant wife and kids in the car.

Don't know if "punk" was the word I'd use, I think "fool" would be more accurate...

But no matter who he had in the car, it didn't keep him from acting the fool...

I swear to God, I can't believe that you think the driver did nothing at all wrong here... HE was the one who escalated the situation to the point it got to, ALL he had to do was obey the cop's orders...

You seem to think that when a cop gives you an order, it's optional whether you obey it or not... I surely hope you never try to put that theory to the test in real life... even if the cop is completely wrong, you still obey his orders, or you face the consequences... that's precisely what happened to me in the situation I related earlier... I did the RIGHT thing, I did everything the cop told me to do (even as I was seething with anger), then I filed a complaint with the police department that cop worked at...

And my nephew got his tickets torn up, and the cop got a reprimand... so I WON in that situation, and I didn't argue with the cop, I didn't get shot...

silverbear

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1806907 said:
At that point, the driver still didn't listen to the officer and backed up. You would think the guy would turn around at that point but instead he replies "What's your problem" Resisting arrest can also be defined as the man not listening to the officer which he wasn't in this case.

Actually, I think it's likely that the guy was not arrested for resisting arrest, but rather for disobeying a lawful police order...

And the oficer did nothing wrong to the guys' wife. He raised his voice and told her to remain in the car. That's the right thing to do. The officer has to protect himself. Just because the woman is pregnant, you can't assume she is harmless. The officer has to follow a protocol and the second person in the vehicle could theoretically assist the person being arrested so the officer has to order that person to remain in the car.

I thought he handled the wife perfectly... once he had the husband under control, he came back up and tired to talk to her, even inquired if she could drive... when she repeatedly asked him why her husband was under arrest, he didn't get snotty with her, in fact he sounded almost regretful as he explained to her why he arrested the guy...

silverbear

Reaction score
Rack;1807322 said:
No I think a cop slept with his gf or something. Or maybe a cop pissed in his cornflakes.

The cop did his job. Period.

Of all the things to try and make something out of nothing, trying it with a cop doing his job is ********.

Some guys just hate cops, and ANYTHING the cops might do is wrong in their book...

Generally speaking, these are people who have had unpleasant experiences with the police... I suspect those problems were of their own creation...

silverbear

Reaction score
theogt;1807482 said:
You're sitting here saying that simply giving a cop attitude means he should get tased.

No, disobeying a lawful police order means you should get tased...

And you wonder why people have little respect for cops.

Those who don't respect cops tend to be those who have problems with them... me, I not only respect cops, I have several of 'em I call friends...

A big reason people have little respect for cops is because there are a lot of jack***es that become cops that abuse their power. This cop was clearly one of them. Just listen to how he was talking toward the end. He got a sense of joy out of inflicting pain on the guy.

I didn't detect any sense of "joy", I thought he was pretty matter of fact when he relayed to the other cop what went on... and the other cop reacted to what he said in a "well, that's what happens when you get stupid" kind of response...

It seems that when you watch that video clip, you filter it through some long-held prejudices against law enforcement... you went into it WANTING the cop to be an abusive ******...

silverbear

Reaction score
theogt;1807546 said:
You are acting like getting caught speeding is sufficient reason to get tasered.

No, he's not, and it's completely outrageous of you to distort what he's said that way...

Give me a break.

Stop lying first...

silverbear

Reaction score
CowboyPrincess;1807626 said:
But at the same time, we don't know what kind of experiences this individual has had with this officer or other officers in the past.

CP, would YOU do what that driver did if a cop hauled you over??

Like I said earlier.. .because of my previous experience with a punk cop and because of all the law breaking officials locally, I don't trust or respect ANY cop now.

I hope you know it's quite unreasonable to disrespect ALL cops for the actions of a few... the one that hassled me was a detective for the Winchester Police Department, but I'm not gonna run around believing that all Winchester police officers are jagoffs... to the contrary, I have met more than a few of them as they responded to incidents over at the hotel, and fine them to be good guys... and when I had my accident, the sergeant who investigated it saved me the cost of a tow by helping me pull and cut out the damaged metal that was rubbing up against my tire, so I could drive it... he didn't have to do that, he was just a nice guy...

He also told the judge when I went before him for the failure to yield ticket that I was a "complete gentleman", told the judge that all I was worried about was if the other guy had gotten hurt... the judge went easy on me, and I strongly suspect it was because of that cop's input...

Maybe some cops don't DESERVE respect, but when they're hassling you, it's in your best interest to give it to 'em anyway... so I PRETEND respect, even when I'm not feeling particularly respectful; I'm quite sure that Winchester detective was shocked to learn I'd filed a complaint against him, with the way I followed his every instruction to the letter...

But then again, unlike that putz in the video, I'm not fool enough to stand there and argue with a drawn weapon...

silverbear

Reaction score
theogt;1807769 said:
There's a pretty big difference between being belligerent and acting how this guy was acting.

Trying to order the cop around sounds pretty belligerent to me... "first, we're gonna do this; second, we're gonna do that"... yeah, cops are gonna be REAL quick to jump to it when some traffic offender tries to tell a cop what he (the cop) is going to do...

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
silverbear;1807939 said:
CP, would YOU do what that driver did if a cop hauled you over??

No I wouldn't have done the same thing. As a woman I would have asked him to ask another officer to respond so there was a safer situation for both the cop and myself. I've never been confrontational with a cop. I've always did as they requested, but it didn't stop my cop from walking up to my car with one hand on a taser and the other on handcuffs and his first words being "I stopped you for a turn signal violation. Have you been to jail before?" And he was tapping the taser the whole time. And all because I put my turn signal on 60 feet before a turn and not 100 ft before a turn.

silverbear;1807939 said:
I hope you know it's quite unreasonable to disrespect ALL cops for the actions of a few... the one that hassled me was a detective for the Winchester Police Department, but I'm not gonna run around believing that all Winchester police officers are jagoffs... to the contrary, I have met more than a few of them as they responded to incidents over at the hotel, and fine them to be good guys... and when I had my accident, the sergeant who investigated it saved me the cost of a tow by helping me pull and cut out the damaged metal that was rubbing up against my tire, so I could drive it... he didn't have to do that, he was just a nice guy...

He also told the judge when I went before him for the failure to yield ticket that I was a "complete gentleman", told the judge that all I was worried about was if the other guy had gotten hurt... the judge went easy on me, and I strongly suspect it was because of that cop's input...

Maybe some cops don't DESERVE respect, but when they're hassling you, it's in your best interest to give it to 'em anyway... so I PRETEND respect, even when I'm not feeling particularly respectful; I'm quite sure that Winchester detective was shocked to learn I'd filed a complaint against him, with the way I followed his every instruction to the letter...

But then again, unlike that putz in the video, I'm not fool enough to stand there and argue with a drawn weapon...

It's not unreasonable to not respect police when all you have seen is what I've seen or what others have seen. In the past few years we've had a half dozen arrests by state and federal cops on local cops for anything from bribery, falsifying police reports, to multiple child molestations. Our former DA even committed suicide after getting caught in a child molestation sting. The officer in charge of the Juvenile detention center was molesting the kids there. The commander of the Police Explorers is currently on trial for child molestation/ rape of 2 or 3 girls.

And thats not just here. Other instances...

The DA in a previous place I lived was a known drug dealer and his wife was a kleptomaniac that was getting caught weekly and was never arrested. Several officers were in on it.

In that same place my husband had been walking down the street to the store to get cat food. A cop stopped, walked up, threw him to the ground and put a shotgun to his head. It was mistaken identity. Witnesses told the police that the cop was brutal to my husband, who had a neck brace on from a neck reconstruction, and had flung my husband to the ground for no apparent reason. Nothing was done about that cop.

When a boyfriend beat me up several years back, I known wife abusing cop was the cop that responded. I wanted him arrested for kicking me in the head, throwning me downstairs over the rail and trashing my home. That cop told that boyfriend (with a chuckle) "let the ol lady cool off and y'all can kiss and make up in the morning". The boyfriend eventually went to jail a few weeks later after I was able to get the cop on the case changed. Nothing was done about that cop either.

When I first got my Mustang, I was followed home every day from work by a rookie cop that was trying to get a ticket on me. Mind you, I had never gotten a ticket or had an accident in the 23 + yrs I had been driving. This went on for a few weeks. It took several short video's of him following me up to the house and sitting outside my house to get that stopped. And I was told by a supervisor about one officer... "He's young, he's a rookie, what can you do? Maybe he thought you were cute."

*** Now.. will I listen to them at a stop - Yes, but I won't get out of my car without their being witnesses. I won't pull over in a dark area. I will pull over in a populated area.

Will I respect them? NO. Not until they give me a reason to like them following the same laws they are enforcing on others.

Having a badge, gun, taser and cuffs doesn't give a license to a cop to be a jerk or abusive.

In this case... I think it's a wash. They were both wrong

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
silverbear;1807922 said:
While the driver's still sitting in the car, he tells him that if he refuses to sign the ticket, the cop will have to arrest him... the cop then orders him to get out of the car; clearly, he did so in order to put him under arrest...

That guy knew that when he got out of the car, and I suspect you knew that when you asked the question...

Which his department was more or less forced to do because of all the publicity this incident has gotten...

Ohhh, so some whack jobs have threatened him, that CLEARLY prove he was wrong...

ROTFLMAO...

But Silverbear, in Utah you don't have to sign the ticket. That's what I am saying. What is your argument now?

You should stick to just running the front desk at the hotel. ROFLMAO !!!

Yeah that last part was 4 yrs old.