Could Noah Brown start for the Cowboys?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Noah gives better blocking than Gallup. Now that he's functional as a WR, he's got a legitimate role on offense as a dual threat. Better to have someone else as the receiving 3rd, but he looks like a good option on run/pass downs.

In 2022, we could have 2 legitimate top ten WRs. Instead of crowding the passing lanes with another WR, I'd rather isolate them and pack the hashes with support for the run game on base downs. Noah could be a real nice piece for that.

He gives better blocking than all of our starting receivers. The problem is he doesn't give better receiving.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He played well in games last year too when he got the ball thrown his way.

I mistake him for Lamb all the time.

I could see how that happens. Same body type.

SSoup

Reaction score
If he got thrust into the top 3, and the other 2 guys in the top 3 were Cooper and Lamb, so he'd typically get to face the 3rd best corner and he'd be the last thing on defenders and defensive coaches' minds? I think he'd post decent stats. Not good stats. But not a black hole of nothingness either. Just okay.

If he got thrust into a #2 WR spot, I think he'd be a black hole of nothingness and he'd be in way over his head. Maybe if Jarwin blows up and becomes an elite weapon, maybe that offsets it enough to make it okay (not unlike how it worked during the early Romo era when our #2 WR position being pretty mediocre worked fine as long as the #1 WR and the TE were both Hall of Fame level elite weapons).

But I could be wrong.

Hardline

Reaction score
He scored four touchdowns against the Oklahoma Sooners in one game. He gets a lifetime job as far as I'm concerned .

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm seeing a possible tie between Noah Brown and Fehoko for what might be the last roster spot to be had. I think Wilson has likely already won a spot somewhere within the WR corps. I'm really unsure if there's enough room for both Noah and Fehoko to find a place on the team, to be totally honest. There's probably enough WR talent for some good talent to be waived this year. It'll be quite interesting to see who stays and who goes.

We could trade Gallup or Wilson. They are redundant.

Go with Zeke, Cooper, Lamb, Jarwin as our base 4.
Play Schultz/Brown/Wilson depending if you want to shade the personnel to run or pass.
Play Pollard when you want to get run/pass funky.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He gives better blocking than all of our starting receivers. The problem is he doesn't give better receiving.

Trade offs. All Brown has to be is better than the alternatives for run/pass packages. Mostly that will be Cedrick or Schultz, with Brown being in the middle of the two for receiving and blocking. The middle of the two may be the best choice sometimes.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We could trade Gallup or Wilson. They are redundant.

Go with Zeke, Cooper, Lamb, Jarwin as our base 4.
Play Schultz/Brown/Wilson depending if you want to shade the personnel to run or pass.
Play Pollard when you want to get run/pass funky.

I passed that on to Jerry and he just hung up the phone on me . . . :omg:

gimmesix

Reaction score
Trade offs. All Brown has to be is better than the alternatives for run/pass packages. Mostly that will be Cedrick or Schultz, with Brown being in the middle of the two for receiving and blocking. The middle of the two may be the best choice sometimes.

I'd much rather have Cooper, Lamb, Gallup and Schultz out there than Cooper, Lamb, Gallup and Brown. And if we go with five, I'd rather have Jarwin as a second tight end than Brown as well. We can quibble on Wilson vs. Brown. I think Wilson is a better receiver, but Brown is a better blocker.

And again, I agree that Brown is a better blocker than any of our starting receivers, but our starting receivers draw extra coverage, stretch the field, etc., which also benefits the run game.

I think Brown and Wilson are both solid spot relief for the three starters, and it's good to have that, but that's about as far as I can go with their value, other than special teams.

Hadenough

Reaction score
They say we found a fifth wide receiver . I say we found a top three wide receiver . When I say we. That’s right part of the franchise. I buy paraphernalia makes me part of the team LOL
He's good as long as you don't need to depend on him. That means he can come in and contribute once in a while but I have seen him drop balls on 3rd down that hit him right in the hands.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He could start, if he added 30 lbs and became a hybrid TE/H-Back. Something I thought he should have done a few years ago.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He scored four touchdowns against the Oklahoma Sooners in one game. He gets a lifetime job as far as I'm concerned .

Watching the way Oklahoma and most of the Big 12 plays defense this might not have been all that great of an achievement! :p

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'd much rather have Cooper, Lamb, Gallup and Schultz out there than Cooper, Lamb, Gallup and Brown. And if we go with five, I'd rather have Jarwin as a second tight end than Brown as well. We can quibble on Wilson vs. Brown. I think Wilson is a better receiver, but Brown is a better blocker.

And again, I agree that Brown is a better blocker than any of our starting receivers, but our starting receivers draw extra coverage, stretch the field, etc., which also benefits the run game.

I think Brown and Wilson are both solid spot relief for the three starters, and it's good to have that, but that's about as far as I can go with their value, other than special teams.

I'd much rather have Cooper, Lamb, Gallup and Schultz out there than Cooper, Lamb, Gallup and Brown.​

Obviously, but that leaves out the trade value of Gallup. Gallup is a legitimate veteran starting WR. We sure could use a legitimate veteran starting 3T. A competent swing T. Interior oline depth.

We have tons of weapons at the skill positions on offense, and particularly at WR. We probably have two top ten WRs *without* Gallup. Because of our depth with our fifth man, with Schultz/Brown/Wilson/Pollard, the marginal loss by trading Gallup is minimal, while the marginal gain at other positions could be huge.

A stat I saw go by on the list - of starting WRs, Gallup gets the most single man no help coverage. He's the guy teams take their chances on. W/o Gallup, I'd go mainly two TE or Gallup as RB/WR in the base. Great run/pass balance. Isolate DBs on Lamb and Cooper on the edges. Putting Gallup out there just lets teams put another DB on the field, and crowd the passing lanes.

Schultz himself is a credible starter, and they consider Jarwin better. With Schultz and Gallup, We've got extra starters on offense (I'd include McGovern/Williams in that, although we're *also* light in backup interior oline). We should cash out that extra value we can't fully use and apply it to positions of greater need.