Could Noah Brown start for the Cowboys?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What is this separation thing yee speak of?
not sure I understand the question...but WRs need to get separation from DBs, and that comes in multiple ways, through skill (route running) and physical skills (speed, size)....Brown is not physically gifted and he is not the greatest route runner, so going against DB1, DB2s he will struggle in getting consistently open........he is limited. does it mean he makes zero catches in his career? no, obviously not, but he will never be a 1,2,3 WR......does it mean he has no role on the team? no he does....depends on the OC and play design...and like I said, he is a special teams demon....that's more valuable than people credit players for

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I’m a huge fan of Fehoko as a prospect, but he isn’t there as contributor (WR or ST) right now to justify occupying a roster spot this season.

I think he could really do well with an off-season of conditioning. I actually he may be a little heavy. To me it’s 50/50 he doesn’t make it to the practice squad. If someone does snatch him I’m okay with that.

If you’re going to go 6 deep at WR, I think it makes much more roster sense for that guy to be Malik Turner as he’s a known ST guy that offers some ability as a fill-in receiver.

There's no question but what Fehoko hasn't lived up to the hype he received upon his signing. You're right about his college experience being somewhat sparse in what he was allowed to contribute. When did, however, he made the most of his appearances.

There are other WRs who have shown up better in the preseason. Malik Turner is one of them who qualifies in that category. I won't be surprised if we go 6 deep at WR, although, it's entirely possible that Fehoko won't be one of them. If he does have a fantastic day vs. the Jaguars, it's remotely possible that Dallas or another team might give him a chance. We'll see if that's the case. It's really too bad he didn't show up better with Dallas, thus far.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They say we found a fifth wide receiver . I say we found a top three wide receiver . When I say we. That’s right part of the franchise. I buy paraphernalia makes me part of the team LOL

It wouldn’t shock me if Brown (or Wilson) signed a cheaper contract extension in anticipation of replacing Gallup next year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I think the talent has always been there. Just for whatever reason, we haven't given him enough targets. I think he can certainly be a solid #3 guy, and maybe #2.

Agree 100%.
I watched him his entire career at OSU, and said in January of 2016 that Dallas needs to find a way to draft him.
Garrett and injuries set him back some. But now everyone can see what he can bring.
He won't crack the top 3, but not many would. Heck some teams' 2nd WR would not be in our top 3.

If Noah has a good year, and they can't keep Gallup, then Brown could sign an extension to replace Gallup. But the same could be said about Wilson. Though I think Brown brings more overall to the team than Wilson.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm seeing a possible tie between Noah Brown and Fehoko for what might be the last roster spot to be had. I think Wilson has likely already won a spot somewhere within the WR corps. I'm really unsure if there's enough room for both Noah and Fehoko to find a place on the team, to be totally honest. There's probably enough WR talent for some good talent to be waived this year. It'll be quite interesting to see who stays and who goes.

I see the opposite. If Fehoko was going to push someone for the 5th spot, it would be Wilson. But the only way Fehoko makes the 53, is if they keep 6 WR's.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
They say we found a fifth wide receiver . I say we found a top three wide receiver . When I say we. That’s right part of the franchise. I buy paraphernalia makes me part of the team LOL
That’s some sound logic for sure.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because we all tend to watch and read and obsess over everything we can about our players, I think we as fans of our favorite team tend to way overrate our backup players. Noah Brown is talented for sure. All NFL players are talented.

But there’s a reason he’s been a fringe player for 4 years. There’s a reason he’s caught 23 passes in 4 seasons and no TDs. I’m pretty sure he’s not anything beyond what he’s been already.

That reason was Garrett mostly. And some injuries. For which he was kept on PUP / IR too long also, because of Garrett.
So do not use the lower stats as a reason.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I see the opposite. If Fehoko was going to push someone for the 5th spot, it would be Wilson. But the only way Fehoko makes the 53, is if they keep 6 WR's.

I don't picture Fehoko beating out Wilson for the 5th spot and possibly not even the 6th. On second thought, Malik Turner is, quite possibly, a more likely candidate for that. Fehoko may well be a more likely candidate to get a spot on the practice squad, from the looks of things.

The 2021 WR corps is, apparently, just that crowded with talent. I think it likely really hurt Fehoko's chances of a roster spot when he botched his plays on the ST unit with several horrible gaffs that cost the team badly. Opon 2nd thought, the WR corps is really tough to crack this year.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Noah Brown just continues to impress.. As I projected several years ago when everyone told me he was trash.

I think he could start for a lot of teams and no telling what he is capable of at that size, strong handed. And quicks.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't picture Fehoko beating out Wilson for the 5th spot and possibly not even the 6th. On second thought, Malik Turner is, quite possibly, a more likely candidate for that. Fehoko may well be a more likely candidate to get a spot on the practice squad, from the looks of things.

The 2021 WR corps is, apparently, just that crowded with talent. I think it likely really hurt Fehoko's chances of a roster spot when he botched his plays on the ST unit with several horrible gaffs that cost the team badly. The WR corps is really tough to crack this year.

I loved the Fehoko pick but Dallas would be stupid to cut Brown or Wilson for him.

Brown and Wilson are significantly better than the rest of the backups.

They can both play on Sundays and we wouldn’t miss a beat without a starter.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I like Noah Brown and always have.. People seem to forget that he was injured for a lot of time the last two seasons.. or at least on the injured list. Whether he was actually hurt of just being stashed is open for debate. Wasn't he put on IR all of 2019? I would caution those who have already decided what he can and can't do because he hasn't broken out yet. He would not be the first receiver to accomplish next to nothing in his first few years to later develop into a stud. Go look up Wes Welker's numbers in San Diego and Miami.. Miami thought so highly of him they cut him. How about Irving Fryar? dude was a #1 overall pick and was considered a bust for the first 6-7 years in the league.. then he just exploded in year 8 and had 4 of his 5 thousand yard seasons after age 30. Different guys develop at different rates. It's folly to paint them all with the same brush. Brown has a toolset no other receiver on this team has which is that big body. If the Cowboys can't figure out how to take advantage of that I bet there are teams that can.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I loved the Fehoko pick but Dallas would be stupid to cut Brown or Wilson for him.

Brown and Wilson are significantly better than the rest of the backups.

They can both play on Sundays and we wouldn’t miss a beat without a starter.

I agree with that. I was hasty in thinking Fehoko has that much of a chance to outdo those already in house. It's a crowded talent pool.

Unfortunately, Fehoko made some horrible gaffs on the ST units. That quickly bamboozled his opportunities of making the final roster.

He might be lucky to get a spot on the practice squad. The team had high hopes of him being successful on the ST units. Didn't occur.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I agree with that. I was hasty in thinking Fehoko has that much of a chance to outdo those already in house. It's a crowded talent pool.

Unfortunately, Fehoko made some horrible gaffs on the ST units. That really bamboozled his chances of making the final roster.

He might be lucky to get a spot on the practice squad.

I was impressed with Fehoko’s college film but I haven’t seen that movement for a big guy that I saw at Stanford.

He has looked out of shape, not agile, and his hands are terrible.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I was impressed with Fehoko’s college film but I haven’t seen that movement for a big guy that I saw at Stanford.

He has looked out of shape, not agile, and his hands are terrible.

He didn't live up to what the staff had hopes he'd be. The gaffs he made on ST really messed up his chances.

I had hoped that the catches that he made would compensate for all the mistakes he committed. I was wrong.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
If one of the top 3 WRs get hurt, he could start,

I think he could also play as a TE in an emergency too. He is a good blocking WR.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
When are people going to quit fawning over every late round pick and calling him the next Alvin Harper?

So he was good in college. So what? What percentage of college receivers ever play in even one regular season game in the NFL? 1%? 0.5%?

Everybody that's drafted obviously has talent, or else they wouldn't be in camp. And if he's drafted, he deserves a chance to show what he's got.

But please, he was a fifth rounder, not a Heisman winner....