Could the Big12 and PAC10 Combine?

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Looking like Big 12 now is Big 10, w/ A&M staying. New TV deal worth possibly 20-25 million a year. Report on radio here in Austin. Press conference this afternoon?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
numnuts23;3432885 said:
Looking like Big 12 now is Big 10, w/ A&M staying. New TV deal worth possibly 20-25 million a year. Report on radio here in Austin. Press conference this afternoon?

The Big 10? This is a horrible deal. Money talks.

Big 10 will be a flippin joke if this is true.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5285680

Reports: Texas considering Big 12 deal

Updated: June 14, 2010, 3:25 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

The Texas Longhorns, based on a TV deal in the works that could pay them upwards of
$25 million per year, are leaning toward staying in a 10-team Big 12 for the foreseeable future, Orangebloods.com has reported, citing sources familiar with negotiations.

Texas was meeting Monday with the other remaining nine schools in the Big 12 about a TV deal included in a plan put together by Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe that would keep the league intact with its current programs, according to multiple reports.

Millions of Reasons

Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma would each receive at least $20 million annually from a new Big 12 TV contract, according to a report, comparable with what the top conference deals pay now.

Texas stands to earn between $20 million and $25 million annually in television revenue, including money from its own network, in the reworked deal, according to Orangebloods.com.

The Longhorns network figures to generate between $3 million and $5 million, according to the report. Because the Big 12 has unequal revenue sharing, the deal will mean more money for Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma, who all would receive at least $20 million annually from the new deal.

The other seven schools in the Big 12 would make between $14 million and $17 million, doubling what they currently receive in TV revenue.

Earlier Monday, ESPN reported that the departure of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the Pac-10 was "imminent," citing four sources within the Big 12 . A source told ESPN's Joe Schad that Texas president WiIlliam Powers Jr. was taking a "global view" of the landscape, excited about the importance of aligning his school with research opportunities and academic reputations of schools in the Pac-10.

But clearly being able to come at least close to the Pac-10 financial projections, while being able to still launch a network, may have swayed Powers to change his mind.

The source within the Big 12 said Beebe's plan was "gaining traction" with Powers as he worked through Beebe's projections to determine if they compare financially with the Pac-10 proposal.

Part of those Big 12 projections would likely include "adjustments" from television partners as well as future contracts that were more on par with the contracts of other conferences, the source said.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas;3432889 said:
The Big 10? This is a horrible deal. Money talks.

Big 10 will be a flippin joke if this is true.

Big 10 was just me calling that, not an official name change - FYI

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3432891 said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5285680

Reports: Texas considering Big 12 deal

Updated: June 14, 2010, 3:25 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma would each receive at least $20 million annually from a new Big 12 TV contract, according to a report, comparable with what the top conference deals pay now.

Tech better get equal to what A&M gets. We are growing so much and consistenly put out a better product on the field than A&M does with lesser talent.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Dawgs0916;3432896 said:
Tech better get equal to what A&M gets. We are growing so much and consistenly put out a better product on the field than A&M does with lesser talent.

Not anymore you won't. Not since you fired

"That one Guy" :cool:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So, who does the Big 12 bring in now?

What does the Pac 10 do?

What does the SEC do?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3432906 said:
So, who does the Big 12 bring in now?

What does the Pac 10 do?

What does the SEC do?

This deal that is being discussed doesn't include 2 more teams. Everything I am reading is that they will stay at 10 and call it a day.

I would love to see TCU added and maybe Memphis

Getting that free 10mill/year from the CEO of FedEx is just plain ole "free money".

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would like to see TCU and maybe Houston added to the mix. Get a couple of the old SWC teams back in the fold.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dallas;3432909 said:
This deal that is being discussed doesn't include 2 more teams. Everything I am reading is that they will stay at 10 and call it a day.

I would love to see TCU added and maybe Memphis

Getting that free 10mill/year from the CEO of FedEx is just plain ole "free money".

Actually, I think they say that they are prepared to go with 10 teams. I don't think it says that they are planning to stay with 10 teams. Big 12 will be back to 12 or more soon. Will that be this upcoming season or next? I don't know.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3432921 said:
Actually, I think they say that they are prepared to go with 10 teams. I don't think it says that they are planning to stay with 10 teams. Big 12 will be back to 12 or more soon. Will that be this upcoming season or next? I don't know.

When will these moves take place? I know the 2010 schedule is already out so I assume any move by any team will not take place this season.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3432932 said:
When will these moves take place? I know the 2010 schedule is already out so I assume any move by any team will not take place this season.

No teams will move from the Big 12 this season. I believe that the moves will take place in the 2011-2012 season. However, agreements for those can be made today, now.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
If the Big 12 is saved, you can thank Texas A&M for not being bullied by Texas. Texas has blinked. If Texas A&M doesn't seriously threaten to go to the SEC, do you really think Texas stays. I don't. Everyone would be in the Pac Ten, all the schools invited, except for Texas A&M. The thought of the SEC getting better access into Texas' turf didn't set well at all, evidently. Plus, Texas A&M would have better access to the elite, defensive players in the South, where the heart and soul of the best defensive players in the country live. At least, Texas A&M had the guts to come to the SEC while Texas wanted to dodge Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee. They can talk "lack of a cultural fit" all they want to and hide behind academics. Their president is from Berkley, and that elitist attitude says it all.

If Texas A&M was smart, it would bolt to the SEC, because eventually, Texas will act up again when they don't get their way or when they think "Texas' best interest isn't being met".

By the way Oklahoma should be embarrassed with the way they played Texas' lap dog. It's o.k., Texas A&M showed the courage to potentially save the league, for now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
41gy#;3432961 said:
If the Big 12 is saved, you can thank Texas A&M for not being bullied by Texas. Texas has blinked. If Texas A&M doesn't seriously threaten to go to the SEC, do you really think Texas stays. I don't. Everyone would be in the Pac Ten, all the schools invited, except for Texas A&M. The thought of the SEC getting better access into Texas' turf didn't set well at all, evidently. Plus, Texas A&M would have better access to the elite, defensive players in the South, where the heart and soul of the best defensive players in the country live. At least, Texas A&M had the guts to come to the SEC while Texas wanted to dodge Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee. They can talk "lack of a cultural fit" all they want to and hide behind academics. Their president is from Berkley, and that elitist attitude says it all.

If Texas A&M was smart, it would bolt to the SEC, because eventually, Texas will act up again when they don't get their way or when they think "Texas' best interest isn't being met".

By the way Oklahoma should be embarrassed with the way they played Texas' lap dog. It's o.k., Texas A&M showed the courage to potentially save the league, for now.

I don't really agree with any of this.

Texas, all along, said that they wanted to save the Big 12, if at all possible.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
41gy#;3432961 said:

BTW:

Oklahoma should be embarrassed?

How about you find a way OUT of the "Consolation Prize" bowls before saying anyone should be embarrassed about anything. ;)

You are just hating just to hate.

LOL @ A&M ever doing anything in the SEC. You think its hard to compete w/ Texas and Oklahoma in this conference? The folks at A&M would never see a CCG in the SEC.

Just enjoy another beat down again from UT and OK this year.

That is all.

joseephuss

Reaction score
41gy#;3432961 said:

How did A&M do both "seriously threaten to go to the SEC" and "showed the courage to potentially save the league"? It seems as if they could do one or the other, but not both.

It seems that Nebraska and Missouri were the first teams involved in any league hopping, so I don't see how Texas is getting so much blame. Texas has a lot of influence, but they seem to be reacting to things around them more than pressuring other schools.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Texas isn't scared of anyone in the country. When it comes down to it, they can play with just about anybody in the country most years. It's about money and perception of the University, thats why the SEC won't work.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
UT was ready and set to join the Pac-10. If TAMU hadn't threatened to join the SEC no one would have considered the "Beebe Plan." UT went so far as to threaten breaking off the rivalry with TAMU if they didn't fall in line with UT, but the Aggies didn't bite. UT would've lost some recruiting power and fan base to TAMU if the teams had split.

Anyone want to count how many conference tournaments each school won this year?

TAMU - 6
UT - 5
Tech - 1

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Cythim;3433087 said:
UT was ready and set to join the Pac-10. If TAMU hadn't threatened to join the SEC no one would have considered the "Beebe Plan." UT went so far as to threaten breaking off the rivalry with TAMU if they didn't fall in line with UT, but the Aggies didn't bite. UT would've lost some recruiting power and fan base to TAMU if the teams had split.

Anyone want to count how many conference tournaments each school won this year?

TAMU - 6
UT - 5
Tech - 1

I don't think Texas was ever really set on going to any other conference.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
From what I hear, if Texas doesn't commit to the Big 12 by the end of Tuesday, they are going to the PAC TEN, with their minions.

Also, I hear that Texas A&M is still seriously considering the SEC, no matter what Texas does.

Furthermore, while Texas was openly threatening not to play A&M anymore, they were secretly negotiating the TV rights to the non-conference A&M game.

If Texas A&M was smart, they would join the best football conference in the country, where revenue is equally shared.