Cowboys and CD in dispute over years on contract

StarLord

Reaction score
So assuming its 3 years he wants.. he's under contract for 1, then 2 years of franchise tags.. would the price really be much different? I'm not a contract expert by any stretch, but doesn't the deal need to be at LEAST 4 years to have much value to the team?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based on the new Jerry not throwing money around , I'd be willing to entertain the thought that perhaps 2 won't be signed.

We are now in a state of complete unpredictability here
Perhaps, but I’m goin 2/3rds…

shabazz

Reaction score
Perhaps, but I’m goin 2/3rds…
Conventional wisdom would say that you'd be right.....but im not sure conventional wisdom applies to the current state of the FO.

If Dak was allowed to leave and Jerry later trades Parsons for a big haul I wouldn't be shocked

Flamma

Reaction score
So assuming its 3 years he wants.. he's under contract for 1, then 2 years of franchise tags.. would the price really be much different? I'm not a contract expert by any stretch, but doesn't the deal need to be at LEAST 4 years to have much value to the team?
If he wants a 3 year contract, that's 4 total. All extensions start after the 5th option. But lets use your example of a 2 year extension. What he would get with a 5th year, FT, FT.

5th Year - 18M
FT - 22M
FT - 27M

If he got an actual 2 year extension paying him 35M a year

5th year - 18M
First year - 35M
Second year - 35M

As you can see, 88 million is more than 67 million. Plus his guarantees don't go past the year he's playing with the tag example.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If he wants a 3 year contract, that's 4 total. All extensions start after the 5th option. But lets use your example of a 2 year extension. What he would get with a 5th year, FT, FT.

5th Year - 18M
FT - 22M
FT - 27M

If he got an actual 2 year extension paying him 35M a year

5th year - 18M
First year - 35M
Second year - 35M

As you can see, 88 million is more than 67 million. Plus his guarantees don't go past the year he's playing with the tag example.
and your example is why the team could drop the hammer.... which is what I would do. I would use the CBA to my advantage. If I offered 4 years at 33million per year and he said no.... Id drop the hammer.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Can’t really blame either side here
Yes you can, pick one… makes things more interesting around here.

Looks like CeeDee wants another crack at the big money. Blame inflation and COLA.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
yea, nothing much, just to be the highest paid WR in the history of the game. Years... thats all? That is not a small thing. Dallas got screwed already by doing a 4 year deal with Dak... they dont want that again.
They got screwed franchise tagging Dak twice.

Cowboys have so many issues it amazes me this is the one they want to die on.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
how did they get screwed? the 4 year deal for 160 million wasnt a bad deal... and prescott only played 1 year under the tag.
They signed Dak to two franchise tags. The deal wasn’t bad but they could’ve got him in the 5 year deal they like if they would’ve done it earlier.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
cowboys want 5-6 years

This is why lamb should be traded , the money isnt enough, the length isnt short enough lol and I think
he wants his own private locker room lol, with huge locker for him, and mirrored walls, private shower, and carpeted.

John813

Reaction score

Cowboys lose the ability to backload the contract on 5th year option + FT1+FT2.
No void years to eat prorated signing bonus either.

It seems the going rate is 4 years for WRs. Maybe Dallas is asking for 5, seems 4+ 2 void years is fair.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Cowboys lose the ability to backload the contract on 5th year option + FT1+FT2.
No void years to eat prorated signing bonus either.

It seems the going rate is 4 years for WRs. Maybe Dallas is asking for 5, seems 4+ 2 void years is fair.
Players haven’t been accepting backloading for years because that money never comes.

They want more guarantees and more cracks at free agency. Dallas will either adapt or continue to fall behind.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Seems like an obvious effect of the leadership shown by the leader.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Who is this guy and who is his source? You guys will believe anything on the internet.
Everything on the internet except for you. You know, because you are a proven and verified liar.