Twitter: Cowboys and Dak agent Todd France had conversations on Wed. re: Contract

Creeper

Reaction score
This highest paid QB is Russell Wilson at $35 million a year, right? So why in the world would Dallas pay Dak any more than $36 million? And why would Dak be asking for any more than that. This idea that the price for a position must keep going up astronomically with each new contract is going to destroy the NFL eventually. Its only a matter of time.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I cant remember the player but a years ago Dallas passed on a player in the draft because the front office said his agent was too hard to deal with. I wonder if France was his agent.
I certainly hope it wasn’t a good player because with rookie contracts basically writing themselves it’s a pretty dumb reason to pass.

aikemirv

Reaction score
The fact that they said they wanted a long term deal means they haven't changed much.

Dallas is going to get wrecked on this deal. They will cave to whatever Dak wants.

Every chance they get to give up leverage they do it.

If it's a longterm deal then 38-40 million wouldn't surprise me.

I can't hit the "like" button because that just does not feel right - but I agree with your assessment but I don't "like" it!

shabazz

Reaction score
This highest paid QB is Russell Wilson at $35 million a year, right? So why in the world would Dallas pay Dak any more than $36 million? And why would Dak be asking for any more than that. This idea that the price for a position must keep going up astronomically with each new contract is going to destroy the NFL eventually. Its only a matter of time.

Interesting though came to me. If Wilson and Dakota are making the same salary what percentage of people would want either QB on their team? I think we overwhelmingly know the answer to that question.

Bigdog

Reaction score
The fact that they said they wanted a long term deal means they haven't changed much.

Dallas is going to get wrecked on this deal. They will cave to whatever Dak wants.

Every chance they get to give up leverage they do it.

If it's a longterm deal then 38-40 million wouldn't surprise me.
Which would be a big mistake. I like Dak but he is not worth that much. He has not done anything to warrant being paid higher than a 2 time SB starting qb. He should be paid as much as Goff and Wentz. Take it or leave it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Which would be a big mistake. I like Dak but he is not worth that much. He has not done anything to warrant being paid higher than a 2 time SB starting qb. He should be paid as much as Goff and Wentz. Take it or leave it.

I'm sure Dak would take it. You guys are focused on this yearly avg? that number is meaningless to the players what they want it the Guaranteed money

1 Jared Goff

Quarterback $110,042,682

2 Carson Wentz

Quarterback $107,970,683

3 Russell Wilson

Quarterback $107,000,000

You are focusing on the wrong number, the so called yearly avg is meaningless.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/guaranteed//

Adreme

Reaction score
I'm sure Dak would take it. You guys are focused on this yearly avg? that number is meaningless to the players what they want it the Guaranteed money

1 Jared Goff

Quarterback $110,042,682

2 Carson Wentz

Quarterback $107,970,683

3 Russell Wilson

Quarterback $107,000,000

You are focusing on the wrong number, the so called yearly avg is meaningless.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/guaranteed//

I mean that matters for other positions sure but less so for QBs. Wentz will see every penny of his contract and so will Russ so who cares whether its "guaranteed" now versus later because teams are not cutting the franchise QB. THe RB or DT they need that guaranteed money but the QB is too important and too irreplacable to worry about that number.

I guess the other reason is that teams are always drafting the other positions so they could just happen to find a better player or as good of a player for cheaper at any time and then the highly paid defensive or offensive player becomes expendable, BUT you are not drafting a QB high unless you do not have one so a team never really gets a 2nd bite of the apple, and it usually takes 3 bites to find a franchise guy.

blueblood70

Reaction score

let the napkin passing continue....lol

meetings are moot at this point if neither party is budging.. whats the point , to make us feel better,

Daks stuck here all the rumors and debates and guessing whats he worth to other teams is a waste of time.. He will be a DC either under the FT or with a new deal.. unless a team offers 2 first round picks and willing to pay Dak his demanded price, and we move on.. that likelihood is 1% maybe ONE team would go after dak and the Dc still have the power to say no and match..

all the what ifs and what teams would pay him or want him if he were a true FA, its all MOOT people, he wont be a true FA for years unless the DC CHOOSE to let it happen....

all that matters is who owns his rights and what the actual process is as we stand.. Dak will sign FT or hold out..how long a hold out. who knows but I doubt hes leaving 28+ mil on the table, he will be here by game 1..

either way hes not going anywhere unless a team wants to pay a kings Ransom for a a 2nd Tier QB.. please dont convince me why hes more then 2nd tier, thats not a knock on payer , hes not élite tier one hes in the 2nd group no matter how you want to line it up, its all there for this to see.. he might be the 10th ranked starting qb after 2019 but anything after 5 is 2nd tier..ie 10-16 and many qbs are in that mix and subjective to what order.

I do not believe any team is willing to pay Dak 35 on short term deal(this is what I believe is the biggest issue, not only does dak want next market value he wants a 4yr deal vs 6-7 a lot of players have signed for, thats no small issue) and give up 2 firsts..

so he will play here one way or the other..

in the short term the DC better have plan to get a better backup and a drafted plyer like Hurts to have options for a holdout or a future without Dak in 2021/22..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I mean that matters for other positions sure but less so for QBs. Wentz will see every penny of his contract and so will Russ so who cares whether its "guaranteed" now versus later because teams are not cutting the franchise QB. THe RB or DT they need that guaranteed money but the QB is too important and too irreplacable to worry about that number.

I guess the other reason is that teams are always drafting the other positions so they could just happen to find a better player or as good of a player for cheaper at any time and then the highly paid defensive or offensive player becomes expendable, BUT you are not drafting a QB high unless you do not have one so a team never really gets a 2nd bite of the apple, and it usually takes 3 bites to find a franchise guy.

It goes for QB as well, each have out years. in 2022 Rams could release Goff and take the 5 mill dead money if Goff continues as is he will not see the end of his deal. Players are very concerned about guaranteed money, it is the only thing they know for sure is their money.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Next year Houston will be dealing with Watson and KC with Mahomes and Dak contract will be well below both.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Yep and it’s gonna be the 4 year deal JJ don’t want. Unless he ponies up a little more money for a 5 year deal. In my mind Dak has already cost himself money by not signing the contract last year. If he signed a 4 year deal last year at 30-32 he would be going into his second year and would be able to cash in again in a few years. Would have gotten 100+ guaranteed and a fat signing bonus last year.
They offered 90 guaranteed. 17 mil behind Wentz and 20 behind Goff. They also wanted 5 or 6 years compared to the 4 years They both just got. The team low balled him.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Dallas offered less than both. They offered 34 for 6 years and 90 guaranteed. Wentz and Goff both got 4 years and 107 and 110 guaranteed. He did not sign because they low balled him.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Next year Houston will be dealing with Watson and KC with Mahomes and Dak contract will be well below both.
Don't bring logic to this. Darnold and Mayfield too. With that "fair" top 5 offer Stephen said they made, Dak might not be in the top ten by 2021.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I certainly hope it wasn’t a good player because with rookie contracts basically writing themselves it’s a pretty dumb reason to pass.
He's probably thinking of the Parcells/Merriman draft, which IIRC was before rookies were slotted the way they are now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Don't bring logic to this. Darnold and Mayfield too. With that "fair" top 5 offer Stephen said they made, Dak might not be in the top ten by 2021.

I agree. Does not mean I don't think all these guys are getting overpaid but Dak is not asking for more than any of these others have asked for when their contract were due. I never once heard Dak complain when he was on a 4th rd rookie contract and have not heard him give an ultimatum that Wilson gave the Seahawks. Dak has for the most part stayed silent and doing what he should which is let his agent work out a deal with the team. In my opinion I think this deal will get done ahead of the deadline and Cooper deal will follow close behind.

cern

Reaction score
flies on the wall. again, nothing but conjecture as to what was discussed.

glimmerman

Reaction score
flies on the wall. again, nothing but conjecture as to what was discussed.
Hey Daks agent how’s it going. Good how’s it going JJ. Hey Daks agent wanna do some shots. Sure JJ, I know you got the good stuff. JJ are you ready to sign the contract yet. No Daks agent, I want to wait and steal some thunder from the draft. Ok JJ. Hey Daks agent how much does Collins want. A lot JJ. Ok never mind Daks agent. Kool kool, thanks for the shots JJ. Your welcome. Cya.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
So why pay him that amount then?????
What amount? You don't know what that is.

Point..... doesn't matter how much the QB makes.......he ain't doing it alone.

Last edited: