Cowboys and Dan Reeves? Possible Consultant? (Per Mort; Link added)

Aven8

Reaction score
rangers71;2605061 said:
Who gives a **** if his QB's hated him? The man knows how to win and we need someone like him around here. Also he has been a coach since Jimmy and I bet you would have no problem with him coming back to coach here.

A little testy are we?

Know's how to win what? AFC Championship games maybe! I don't care if we hire him or not...it makes NO difference to me.

I never really cared for him....it's just a matter of choice.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Naw, he's a crybaby.

He was last seen at Cowboys headquarters leaving in a huff in the '70s, embittered that Landry had "coddled" Duane Thomas and then Thomas henderson and that Landry has sacked him to bring in that passing genius Sid Gilman.

I don't know how this relic from the last century could suddenly be in the know about college prospects and know the attitudes/thinking of the new type of monied athlete. The world has changed and hopefully he can enjoy his retirement and continue to make aspirin commercials.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Aven8;2605272 said:
A little testy are we?

Know's how to win what? AFC Championship games maybe! I don't care if we hire him or not...it makes NO difference to me.

I never really cared for him....it's just a matter of choice.

But you do want Ray Lewis? Talk about polar opposites.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2605166 said:
I'm still trying to figure out how this could in any way be a negative.

Everyone complains that Jerry isn't a "football man" and won't hire one. So now he brings in a "football man" -- and not just anyone, but a good one. But this is somehow a negative?

Yes, Jerry may still be the GM, but how can having someone with Reeves' experience be a bad thing? You think he's going to push Jerry in the wrong direction?

Geez, at the worst, Reeves will be ignored. But if he just gets Jerry to see the error of his ways in a couple of areas, or just gives him a new perspective on the way a few things should be done, isn't that a good thing?

My gosh, just the idea that Jerry would consider hiring an "outsider" for any kind of advice is a step in the right direction. Before, the only people he'd listen to were old drinking buddies and incompetents like Larry Lacewell.

Well said. True, too.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2605273 said:
Naw, he's a crybaby.

He was last seen at Cowboys headquarters leaving in a huff in the '70s, embittered that Landry had "coddled" Duane Thomas and then Thomas henderson and that Landry has sacked him to bring in that passing genius Sid Gilman.

I don't know how this relic from the last century could suddenly be in the know about college prospects and know the attitudes/thinking of the new type of monied athlete. The world has changed and hopefully he can enjoy his retirement and continue to make aspirin commercials.

Yeah...we should stay the current course. It's going really well, huh?

khiladi

Reaction score
I bet if Reeves was Dom Capers, the forum would be cheering... funny though, Reeves was hired to actually correct a franchise in Houston with Capers as the head coach...

wileedog

Reaction score
CATCH17;2604749 said:
When you have a 55 man Roster you are going to make some mistakes here and there.

The problem is everything is magnified in Dallas..

No, that's not the problem. The problem is Jerry already has a long track record of grinding a Dynasty team into the ground.

He seemed to wise up some with Parcels, but every day since Bill left he looks to some a little bit more like the guy who was the ultimate orchestrator of 15-33 from 2000-2002.

Its not that things are magnified, its that we've seen this movie before, and some of us don't believe the script was re-written.

Some of you may think he's changed, and that's fine too, but I still don't think his mistakes are 'magnified'. Whatever your opinion of his involvement with the 3 SuperBowls (not going there again), the track record since speaks for itself.

CoCo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2605196 said:
I don't see that at all. But then I don't think Reeves will even have direct contact with the players. Or if he does, he'll only have a very limited amount.

I think it's more like what Idgit said earlier... If Jerry doesn't hire a football man, he's an idiot. If Jerry does hire a football man, it means things are really horrible and therefore Jerry is an idiot.

Well I am certainly not going to argue the point that some people are never happy. :)

I like & respect Reeves. Hopefully, if he's added it can move us forward.

wileedog

Reaction score
Oh and as for Reeves, just put a cardiologist with a defibrillator on the sidelines and make him the coach already. This consultant baloney is just going to muck up an already messed up organization.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;2605178 said:
What if Jerry hired Jimmy Johnson as a part time football consultant? Would this still be looked at as a negative? I am sure some would complain. I am pretty sure some would complain if Dallas won another Superbowl.

I'm sure some would act like there's nothing wrong if they went 13 years without a playoff win.

oh wait.

CoCo

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a smart-butt know it all, but if possible, could certain posters be mature enough to not respond every time they feel their adversary makes a comment about Jerry?

I doubt there are many regular posters on this board who couldn't author those responses for you simply because its been played over and over and over.

Truly, can some of you not be adult enough to drop it even if your adversary can't?

with apologies... :)

[/rant off]

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
All i can say is hiring dan reeves would be a great move. The guy is itching to get back into football in any capacity. He wanted to be the coach after Parcells resigned, he may be able to bring some dignity back to this orginzation. We need some positive PR in the worst way.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
CoCo;2605445 said:
I'm not trying to be a smart-butt know it all, but if possible, could certain posters be mature enough to not respond every time they feel their adversary makes a comment about Jerry?

I doubt there are many regular posters on this board who couldn't author those responses for you simply because its been played over and over and over.

Truly, can some of you not be adult enough to drop it even if your adversary can't?

with apologies... :)

[/rant off]

I agree

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Fans- Jerry wont hire a real football coach and get out of the way

Jerry- hires real coach in Parcells, turns everything over to him

Fans- Still Complain
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fans- Jerry bungles the draft every yr

Jerry- gives Parcells total control, revamps entire scouting dept that results in quality drafts since day one

Fans- Still Complain
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fans- Jerry holds onto old players too long

Jerry- Trades away or releases dead weight players

Fans- Still Complain

Fans after 2008 season- Jerry needs to hire a real football man

Jerry- talks to Dan Reeves, a real football man about joining our franchise

Fans- STILL COMPLAIN

Conclusion- WE HAVE STUPID FANS

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Dan Reeves' title: Discipline consultant?
1:00 PM Tue, Jan 27, 2009
Tim MacMahon

That's what John Clayton suggested during an appearance on Michael Irvin's ESPN 103.3 show.

Any indication that the Cowboys are serious about instilling discipline and accountability is a good thing. Dan Reeves' track record suggests that he might be up to the challenging task. The big if, of course, is whether Jerry Jones would stay out of the way enough to let Reeves make a difference.

Maybe this is Jerry's way of slowly letting go of the GM role, you know, baby steps. So Reeve's might be the "Consultant/GM" so to speak. It's not so horrible, at least Jerry is coming to the conclusion we need some kind of help. And another thought, perhaps he's going to use Reeve's to fire some players/personnel that he doesn't have the stones to.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2605708 said:
Dan Reeves' title: Discipline consultant?
1:00 PM Tue, Jan 27, 2009
Tim MacMahon

That's what John Clayton suggested during an appearance on Michael Irvin's ESPN 103.3 show.

Any indication that the Cowboys are serious about instilling discipline and accountability is a good thing. Dan Reeves' track record suggests that he might be up to the challenging task. The big if, of course, is whether Jerry Jones would stay out of the way enough to let Reeves make a difference.

Maybe this is Jerry's way of slowly letting go of the GM role, you know, baby steps. So Reeve's might be the "Consultant/GM" so to speak. It's not so horrible, at least Jerry is coming to the conclusion we need some kind of help. And another thought, perhaps he's going to use Reeve's to fire some players/personnel that he doesn't have the stones to.

Interesting angle... It excites me.