Cowboys and Dan Reeves? Possible Consultant? (Per Mort; Link added)

CoCo

Reaction score
I like Reeves. He's not perfect, has some personnel shortcomings, but I put him on par with Schottenheimer as far as getting the most out of his team. You can nit-pik on him but he took the Broncos to 3 SB's, got the Falcons to a SB, and almost had the Giants dethrone the Cowboys as NFC East champs in 1993. He definitely does some things right.

Now is bringing him in as a consultant a good idea? Its hard to say. It could just as easily add to the dysfunction as diffuse it.

Who wants him here? Wade or Jerry? Is he the interim-HC-in-wating if things falter under Wade during the season but prevents Jerry from having to make a move before coach hiring season really begins when Shanny, Cowher & Holmgren might be on the market?

I see just as much downside as upside in this. I'll hope for the best.

khiladi

Reaction score
This move must have heavily involved the backing of Wade, because of his ties to Dan Reeves as well as the special teams coach. Jerry would not have went out and gotten Dan Reeves, because he has no ties to him and little experience with him. This solidifies Wade within the organization more than people want to believe.

silver

Reaction score
Coach Jones needs all the help he can get. His coordinators, Wade and Jason, are in place. He now gets a man to help him game plan and tell him whether to go for it on 4th and inches or punt. :rolleyes:

one more year, one more year and Jerry comes back to his senses.

1fisher

Reaction score
check out the Reeves interview in the other thread I bumped.... good stuff.

pancakeman

Reaction score
iceberg;2604853 said:
so who's the one who doesn't know you don't have 5 downs in football - you or dan reeves?

He forgot to mention there was a false start on Flozell on the second run for 2 yards.

MissionCoach

Reaction score
Aven8;2604858 said:
Grandpa.......tell me bout' the good ole days..........:laugh2:

yes Grandpa Reeves, tell us about the 'GOOD ole days"

Like what was it like to Coach in four Super Bowls...

Like what was is like to throw a touchdown pass in the legendary "Ice Bowl" ...

Like what was is like to play in the playoffs every year of your career and win the Super Bowl vs Miami in 1971...

Like what was it like to be a protege of one of the greatest and most innovative coaches in NFL history, Coach Tom Landry...

Yeah we don't need anybody like that around here :rolleyes:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
khiladi;2604905 said:
This move must have heavily involved the backing of Wade, because of his ties to Dan Reeves as well as the special teams coach. Jerry would not have went out and gotten Dan Reeves, because he has no ties to him and little experience with him. This solidifies Wade within the organization more than people want to believe.

It should be as plain as the nose on your face. It is a very non-threatening manuever. It is far from the typical adversarial consultant role or even what he did in Houston.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Alexander;2604825 said:
It was a move intended to help Wade Phillips. From my perspective, it is clear Jerry Jones likes Wade Phillips and wants him to succeed. He likes the type of relationship he has with him, which obviously is very comfortable.

If he was out to truly get bang for the buck for a consultant, the last person he would hire would be someone that close to Phillips. It also signals that he is nowhere near ready to replace him either. I have no doubt that Jones envisions this as an opportunity to keep Wade Phillips and salvage his tenure, not have him in as a true consultant to take apart the organization and staff and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Reeves is non-threatening and very unlikely to be invasive to Phillips.

The level of consideration to Phillips is considerable. If they truly wanted to get a top to bottom consulting job done, Reeves is not the person to do it with the parties in place.

If he helps Phillips, fine. I just do not read as much into it as any sort of change or commitment to it on a grand scale from Jerry Jones. This is just helping ease tensions with the fan base, keep the status quo while trying to improve and provide Phillips with the help he apparently needs.

Wow, Jerry wants his head coach to succeed? How outrageous!

I don't agree that it's just to help Phillips. If it were, why would the organization hire him? Wade could just talk to Reeves himself if he wanted advice about something. And if Wade doesn't win this year, he'll be gone for sure. Having his friend be a consultant to the organization won't be enough to change that.

My guess is more that Wade introduced Reeves to the Joneses, combined with a good recommendation from Jerry's buddy McNair, and they decided he could be another good resource to draw on.

And I still bet this was mostly Stephen's doing. If JJT is right -- always a questionable assumption -- why would Jerry hire a guy to be an ally of the coach when trying to convince him of something? That wouldn't make sense.

But it would make sense that Stephen thinks Jerry should listen to the head coach more often.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2604961 said:
I don't agree that it's just to help Phillips. If it were, why would the organization hire him? Wade could just talk to Reeves himself if he wanted advice about something. And if Wade doesn't win this year, he'll be gone for sure. Having his friend be a consultant to the organization won't be enough to change that.

But it gives him a better opportunity to succeed. That's the general point. Hiring an intrusive outsider as a consultant would not get the job done.

My guess is more that Wade introduced Reeves to the Joneses, combined with a good recommendation from Jerry's buddy McNair, and they decided he could be another good resource to draw on.

And I still bet this was mostly Stephen's doing. If JJT is right -- always a questionable assumption -- why would Jerry hire a guy to be an ally of the coach when trying to convince him of something? That wouldn't make sense.

But it would make sense that Stephen thinks Jerry should listen to the head coach more often.

I doubt it is to be an ally of the coach. I also do not think Stephen is intervening because he sees some disconnect and that Phillips needs an ally to begin with. Unless there is something very well hidden, Jones and Phillips are fine and do not need an intermediary.

This is someone who Wade Phillips trusts and will probably get the most out of. The fact that Jones is paying him instead of Phillips just getting advice over the phone is that it will be more extensive, just an indicator of how bad things may actually be in regards to control of the team and structure. But I doubt he's coming in to deep clean, but simply polish.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I love speculation (us) about speculation (JJT) about unconfirmed reports (original report). It must be the offseason. Or a Tuesday.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dallascowboyfanboy;2604291 said:
Not exciting news. The game has passed him by. He should stay retired he's being considered as a consultant.

Depends on his role. Football is Football, it never passes you by. Maybe relating to players may pass some people by, but not all.

Will he be dealing with the players, I doubt on an every day basis. With X's & O's, or with something different.

It would be a very positive thing if this happens. I doubt if it's passed him by.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2604961 said:
Wow, Jerry wants his head coach to succeed? How outrageous!

Reeves isn't here for Wade. He's here to support Garrett. But he's a Wade guy, so he can do that without undermining the HC. Why not add a resource with decades of experience to support your young coordinator? I'm sure there are dozens of times Garrett when to Sparano in 07 to collaborate or for the benefit of his experience, and this is a very similar situation. Personally, I wanted a guy like this to replace Wilson, b/c I'm not impressed with his track record and think it'd be better to have some significant experience someplace on the actual coaching staff, but the consultant thing works for me, too, if that's what the team wants to do.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
What have been the main competing ideological factions regarding Cowboy dysfunction?
1) It's the owner's fault. The owner is not going to replace himself but this at least makes it look like he's trying. So this faction is addressed (not necessarily solved).
2) It's the players -- they're dumber than rocks and lack heart. Reeves can help coach them up. Grievance addressed.
3) It's Wade -- he lacks discipline and can't help with offenses. Reeves can help with that. Faction addressed.
4) It's the OC. Reeves can help with the offense. Faction addressed.
5) It's the luck. We had a winning record against a tough schedule with a lot of injuries. Reeves can't hurt since there's not much of a problem to begin with. Easily appeased faction appeased.

The trick will be in implementation. So which is it? Is he coming in for discipline or coaching the players in general or to be an OC or to help Wade or to leverage against Jerry or what?

Aven8

Reaction score
MissionCoach;2604945 said:
yes Grandpa Reeves, tell us about the 'GOOD ole days"

Like what was it like to Coach in four Super Bowls...

Like what was is like to throw a touchdown pass in the legendary "Ice Bowl" ...

Like what was is like to play in the playoffs every year of your career and win the Super Bowl vs Miami in 1971...

Like what was it like to be a protege of one of the greatest and most innovative coaches in NFL history, Coach Tom Landry...

Yeah we don't need anybody like that around here :rolleyes:

And every qb that ever played for him hated him, especially Elway.

And has been out of coaching forever.

And, And, And........

rangers71

Reaction score
Aven8;2605042 said:
And every qb that ever played for him hated him, especially Elway.

And has been out of coaching forever.

And, And, And........

Who gives a **** if his QB's hated him? The man knows how to win and we need someone like him around here. Also he has been a coach since Jimmy and I bet you would have no problem with him coming back to coach here.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2604288 said:
Hellz yeah, bring him in as a consultant to Garrett.

Thats what I was going to post. Reeves is going to be Garretts after school football 101 tutor.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2605082 said:
Thats what I was going to post. Reeves is going to be Garretts after school football 101 tutor.
This hire is a real Rorschach test, if you ask me. Everyone's viewing this hire through their own filters. You assume he's being brought in to deal with JG, I assume he's being brought in for discipline. Jerry Haters assume he's being brought in for silly reasons. Wade Haters assume he's being brought in because Wade is hopeless.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;2605085 said:
This hire is a real Rorschach test, if you ask me. Everyone's viewing this hire through their own filters. You assume he's being brought in to deal with JG, I assume he's being brought in for discipline. Jerry Haters assume he's being brought in for silly reasons. Wade Haters assume he's being brought in because Wade is hopeless.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that our coaching staff needs "help." At 60+ years of age, Wade still doesn't know how to break down film, run a practice, or discipline a player? If so, that's quite an indictment. Jerry won't hire a new GM, and he won't hire a new HC, so Reeves is his compromise proposal.