Cowboys and Dan Reeves? Possible Consultant? (Per Mort; Link added)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;2605094 said:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that our coaching staff needs "help." At 60+ years of age, Wade still doesn't know how to break down film, run a practice, or discipline a player? If so, that's quite an indictment. Jerry won't hire a new GM, and he won't hire a new HC, so Reeves is his compromise proposal.

I'd wager most NFL teams have consultants to support their staff much of the time, so this isn't necessarily an indictment of Wade. And clearly, the team is in need of help. Reeves isn't hear to break down film, run practices, or discipline players, and we don't really know in what capacity he'll be consulting, but he's certainly got the resume and track record to be helpful in a lot of areas.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
bbgun;2605094 said:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that our coaching staff needs "help." At 60+ years of age, Wade still doesn't know how to break down film, run a practice, or discipline a player? If so, that's quite an indictment. Jerry won't hire a new GM, and he won't hire a new HC, so Reeves is his compromise proposal.

I look at it this way.

Reeves cannot be HC. He cannot be OC. He won't be a position coach.

They want him brought into the staff. Of course the staff needs help. There is a lot of work to be done. Reeves brings a lot of experience to the table and I imagine he would be an asset to the coaching meetings.

You don't thinkl that Wade doesn't ask Campo or Grantham for input or that Garrett doesn't go to Sherman or Houck for advice? Reeves would just be another sounding board.

This is not a solo enterprise and with 53 players, 3 units each with 6+ formations/subunits and thousands of plays, I imagine Reeves could help out a bit.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2605123 said:
I look at it this way.

Reeves cannot be HC. He cannot be OC. He won't be a position coach.

They want him brought into the staff. Of course the staff needs help. There is a lot of work to be done. Reeves brings a lot of experience to the table and I imagine he would be an asset to the coaching meetings.

You don't thinkl that Wade doesn't ask Campo or Grantham for input or that Garrett doesn't go to Sherman or Houck for advice? Reeves would just be another sounding board.

This is not a solo enterprise and with 53 players, 3 units each with 6+ formations/subunits and thousands of plays, I imagine Reeves could help out a bit.

Or maybe you could dispense with the middleman (Reeves) and just hire a brand new coach. Dan sounds like a bandaid at this point. Did all these guys really forget how to coach after going 13-3? If it's not about wins and losses but rather changing the internal culture of the club, well, good luck. Dan, at best, would be third on the totem pole, and players have been known to take their complaints directly to Jerry--with great success.

arync

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2604303 said:
Yes. Usually it is great to have a consultant standing over your coaching staff ... waiting like a vulture ...

The Patriots just hired Floyd Reese as a consultant. I guess he's going to take Belicheck's job. huh?

joseephuss

Reaction score
bbgun;2605130 said:
Or maybe you could dispense with the middleman (Reeves) and just hire a brand new coach. Dan sounds like a bandaid at this point. Did all these guys really forget how to coach after going 13-3? If it's not about wins and losses but rather changing the internal culture of the club, well, good luck. Dan, at best, would be third on the totem pole, and players have been known to take their complaints directly to Jerry--with great success.

You could hire a new coach and still hire Reeves as a consultant. Parcells brought in other guys to provide additional advice while he was coaching in Dallas.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;2605130 said:

There you go raining on everyone's parade again. :mad:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how this could in any way be a negative.

Everyone complains that Jerry isn't a "football man" and won't hire one. So now he brings in a "football man" -- and not just anyone, but a good one. But this is somehow a negative?

Yes, Jerry may still be the GM, but how can having someone with Reeves' experience be a bad thing? You think he's going to push Jerry in the wrong direction?

Geez, at the worst, Reeves will be ignored. But if he just gets Jerry to see the error of his ways in a couple of areas, or just gives him a new perspective on the way a few things should be done, isn't that a good thing?

My gosh, just the idea that Jerry would consider hiring an "outsider" for any kind of advice is a step in the right direction. Before, the only people he'd listen to were old drinking buddies and incompetents like Larry Lacewell.

superpunk

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2605166 said:

Everyone complains that Jerry isn't a "football man" and won't hire one. So now he brings in a "football man" -- and not just anyone, but a good one. But this is somehow a negative?

Yes, Jerry may still be the GM, but how can having someone with Reeves' experience be a bad thing? You think he's going to push Jerry in the wrong direction?

Geez, at the worst, Reeves will be ignored. But if he just gets Jerry to see the error of his ways in a couple of areas, or just gives him a new perspective on the way a few things should be done, isn't that a good thing?

My gosh, just the idea that Jerry would consider hiring an "outsider" for any kind of advice is a step in the right direction. Before, the only people he'd listen to were old drinking buddies and incompetents like Larry Lacewell.

So young.....so naive....

Doom is nigh. Reeves is the fourth horseman of the apocolypse. Repent and be saved!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
bbgun;2605130 said:

Or maybe Wade actually can coach a little bit. It certainly showed when he took over for Stewart.

joseephuss

Reaction score

What if Jerry hired Jimmy Johnson as a part time football consultant? Would this still be looked at as a negative? I am sure some would complain. I am pretty sure some would complain if Dallas won another Superbowl.

CoCo

Reaction score

I'm hoping it becomes a huge positive.

But to answer your question directly it could be a negative if it creates a perception of emasculating the current coaches even more.

Suddenly, the WR's have someone different to take their complaints to, etc.

I'm not predicting that. But I'm also not confident its out of the realm of possibility.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CoCo;2605190 said:
I'm hoping it becomes a huge positive.

But to answer your question directly it could be a negative if it creates a perception of emasculating the current coaches even more.

Suddenly, the WR's have someone different to take their complaints to, etc.

I'm not predicting that. But I'm also not confident its out of the realm of possibility.
I don't see that at all. But then I don't think Reeves will even have direct contact with the players. Or if he does, he'll only have a very limited amount.

I think it's more like what Idgit said earlier... If Jerry doesn't hire a football man, he's an idiot. If Jerry does hire a football man, it means things are really horrible and therefore Jerry is an idiot.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Bach;2605148 said:
There you go raining on everyone's parade again. :mad:

Better question: why the premature parade? Let's see some defineable job duties or some results before we start genuflecting. For a change.

zeromaster

Reaction score
joseephuss;2605178 said:
What if Jerry hired Jimmy Johnson as a part time football consultant? Would this still be looked at as a negative? I am sure some would complain. I am pretty sure some would complain if Dallas won another Superbowl.
Yes, because they'd lose the kids' college fund on the point spread.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score

How is Jerry going to draw any learnings from Dan Reeves when he has demostrated to have learned nothing from Bill Parcells? :eek:: :mad: :(

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
bbgun;2605204 said:
Better question: why the premature parade? Let's see some defineable job duties or some results before we start genuflecting. For a change.
Do we really want these duties clearly defined? I might be more apt to stay in line as an underperforming player or coach if Reeves was more of a covert agent.

MWILL

Fear the Afro
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2604303 said:
Yes. Usually it is great to have a consultant standing over your coaching staff ... waiting like a vulture ...

If this is a repost, MY BAD. Too many pages to read right now.

IMO, Reeves is a "consultant" by name only.

He will have a much bigger role than just a consultant. Hopefully, he will help change the Cowboys image.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;2605243 said:
Do we really want these duties clearly defined? I might be more apt to stay in line as an underperforming player or coach if Reeves was more of a covert agent.

Oh come on, we're talking about a football team, not "Magnum PI"!