Cowboys and Dan Reeves? Possible Consultant? (Per Mort; Link added)

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
If by consultant they me head coach this would be great news.

If not it creates more disfunction to me. Now the players will be wondering what the consultants are saying.

If he has a hand in the offense, I know who the knew local whipping boy will be. garret will be skewered because people will think he needs a consultant and then when that gets old the WHy is dan reeves here and what does he do will start.

Two people on this staff need a consultant. The Gm and the Head coach. So if he is here to help with offense, this will just add to the chaos.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Bach;2604588 said:
I always thought Reeves would take over when Landry stepped down too.

But right now, aside from reuniting Reeves with the Cowboys, what's the point?

If we need a new GM, then hire a GM. If we need a new HC, then hire a HC. If we need a new OC, then hire an OC.

It may not be a bad thing, but it just seems like another of Jerry's schemes to placate the fans by putting a bandaid on something instead of fixing any real problems.
You've nailed it. This is Jerry's attempt to make it look like he's doing something, while still keeping his rotten infrastructure in place.

I'm a big of Dan Reeves' coaching abilities. I was never impressed with the personnel on his Denver teams, outside of Elway and later Davis. To me, they were for the most part a bunch of JAGs that he and Elway got into the SB.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bach;2604616 said:
Um, maybe hire a quality HC and give him the power and authority to do his job.
Shanahan in 2010 really could happen I think. I think the leash is really short.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
This would be a great move - something unusual from jerry - if wade stays on as HC.

Our team & coaches are completely lacking in the leadership and teamwork departments. Reeves would certainly help bring some dignity and class back to our organization as well, i mean he goes back directly to Tom Landry.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
CIWhitefish;2604624 said:
You are living in a dream world if you think Jerry is going to ever replace himself as GM. I don't think anyone would argue that Reeves is a 'football guy'. I see this as Jerry bringing in a football guy to help him assess his team. Maybe he finally sees that he needs someone who sees the team for what it is and not the prism Jerry looks through.

my bigger dream is people realize that is *is* a pipe dream for jones to step down and they quit whining for it at every turn.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Bach;2604629 said:
Well that's the standard copout for everything around here.

Any suggestion other than something Jerry does is met with "well that's not going to happen". So what's the point in asking?

so answer the question. when you know jones isn't going anywhere, why do you keep on it like it will happen?

2 constants in here. jones isn't going anywhere.
you'll whine about it at every opportunity.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What I get from it is Reeves will have suggestions on what certain things need to happen within the offense and defense.

What Certain players need to work on.

When to take off until Wednesday after a game and when not to.

Its just an extra source for the coaches.

All teams basically have "consultants" anyways.

I don't think this will make a big enough impact one way or the other.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
zrinkill;2604641 said:
Goodlord ........ the Jerry haters even attack a Dan Reeves thread???

This is getting ridiculous.

I hope these people are happy for making this board less enjoyable for those who do not share their agenda.

My "agenda" is Cowboys, period. If you're referring to me posting that article about a possible Vick to the '9ers due to Reeves possibly being hired there, then you're off.

Personally I am an avid Jerry supporter. Though as a Cowboy fan I take in all perspectives and possibilities until the team steps on the field and starts playing, at which point it's just the "cards on the table" and we see how it goes from there.

So what is your "agenda", personal? Mine's Cowboys. Thanks for raining on our day with closed-minded, one-sided opinions, making life on this board less enjoyable. ;)

And that goes to any whom think their opinion in the end all, be all- because it is just not. Jerry Supporters. Non-Jerry Supporters. TO Supporters. Non-TO Supporters. Romo Supporters. Non-Romo Supporters. Etc, etc, Haters and the like. At the end of the day we're all Cowboy Supporters and we should respect one another.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Cowboys2008;2604681 said:
My "agenda" is Cowboys, period. If you're referring to me posting that article about a possible Vick to the '9ers due to Reeves possibly being hired there, then you're off.

Personally I am an avid Jerry supporter. Though as a Cowboy fan I take in all perspectives and possibilities until the team steps on the field and starts playing, at which point it's just the "cards on the table" and we see how it goes from there.

So what is your "agenda", personal? Mine's Cowboys. Thanks for raining on our day with closed-minded, one-sided opinions, making life on this board less enjoyable. ;)

And that goes to any whom think their opinion in the end all, be all- because it is just not. Jerry Supporters. Non-Jerry Supporters. TO Supporters. Non-TO Supporters. Romo Supporters. Non-Romo Supporters. Etc, etc, Haters and the like. At the end of the day we're all Cowboy Supporters and we should respect one another.

good luck with that one.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
This is what I gather from this move: Reeves will be brought in to oversee football operations and mentor Garrett in developing the offense while insuring that the team is focused and ready to play on gameday. He will overlook all aspects of the team while allowing Wade to focus more on the defense.

In other words, Reeves will be the unofficial Head Coach/General Manager while allowing Jerry and Wade to keep their respective titles. Here is another notion for this signing which makes sense: We will not hire a Defensive Coordinator. Phillips will still have the Head Coach title, but his main objective will be to develop coordinate the defense. Having Reeves there will free up Phillips to focus on what he does best.

This way, we get a new Head Coach, a new Defensive Coordinator, and a retained Offensive Coordinator without changing coaches, just like Jerry said...

Smart move, Jerry.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cowboys2008;2604681 said:

I was not referring to you ..... I have NO idea who you are ..... and did not even read your post....

Why on earth would you think I was talking about you?

Some of us come on here to see news about the Boys ...... others come on here apparently to let everyone else know how miserable they are as Cowboy fans.

Misery loves company I guess ..... I can hardly see any other reason for them to bring up how bad Jerry sucks in every thread.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2604686 said:
This is what I gather from this move: Reeves will be brought in to oversee football operations and mentor Garrett in developing the offense while insuring that the team is focused and ready to play on gameday. He will overlook all aspects of the team while allowing Wade to focus more on the defense.

In other words, Reeves will be the unofficial Head Coach/General Manager while allowing Jerry and Wade to keep their respective titles. Here is another notion for this signing which makes sense: We will not hire a Defensive Coordinator. Phillips will still have the Head Coach title, but his main objective will be to develop coordinate the defense. Having Reeves there will free up Phillips to focus on what he does best.

This way, we get a new Head Coach, a new Defensive Coordinator, and a retained Offensive Coordinator without changing coaches, just like Jerry said...

Smart move, Jerry.

The thing is Jerry has been making smart moves for awhile but the players on the field haven't been able to cash it in at the end of the year.

I don't think this move will make a lick of difference and I don't think anything will until we have a HEAD coach that will instill discipline on these guys no matter how "tormented" they claim to be.

This team stinks because of the players screwing it up and I have 0 faith in Wade being able to change the discipline and focus on this team.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2604647 said:
You've nailed it. This is Jerry's attempt to make it look like he's doing something, while still keeping his rotten infrastructure in place.

I'm a big of Dan Reeves' coaching abilities. I was never impressed with the personnel on his Denver teams, outside of Elway and later Davis. To me, they were for the most part a bunch of JAGs that he and Elway got into the SB.

Well hopefully he can show Wade and Garrett how to coach or something.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2604653 said:
Shanahan in 2010 really could happen I think. I think the leash is really short.

I think that's a good possibility. Wade's on his last year of his contract so I really doubt Jerry extends him.

I'd much rather Shanahan than Garrett takeover then. But whoever it is maybe Jerry will give them the authority the need and full control over their staff.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2604686 said:
In other words, Reeves will be the unofficial Head Coach/General Manager while allowing Jerry and Wade to keep their respective titles.

I think you are way overestimating the magnitude of his input.

Consultants do not function in anything close to the role of a head coach or a general manager. They do what their title says, they consult. Advice and observation will be the things he'll likely be involved with, just as he was with the Texans three years ago. I doubt he will be on the sidelines with a headset on Sundays or be on the practice field or filmroom 24-7.

If not, then Jerry Jones is doing it wrong.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
CATCH17;2604705 said:
The thing is Jerry has been making smart moves for awhile but the players on the field haven't been able to cash it in at the end of the year.

I don't think this move will make a lick of difference and I don't think anything will until we have a HEAD coach that will instill discipline on these guys no matter how "tormented" they claim to be.

This team stinks because of the players screwing it up and I have 0 faith in Wade being able to change the discipline and focus on this team.

in retrospect, jones tries too hard to get the flash player and thinks mental problems will just work themselves out.

to date has any real "mental problem" worked out like we'd have hoped?
TO? great divide here.
tank johnson? move along son and take your 6 shooter with you
pacman? wow. only 1 year and not even all of that.
spellman...

it's not about the talent it's about coming together as a team and letting talent develop. someone said jones does a lot of band aids and that sounds pretty fair. he can get the talent but the talent isn't coming together.

couple that with romo having some growing pains and we had a bad year all around. focusing on any 1 given area is pointless but agendas come out and player xyz must go.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
CATCH17;2604678 said:
What I get from it is Reeves will have suggestions on what certain things need to happen within the offense and defense.

What Certain players need to work on.

When to take off until Wednesday after a game and when not to.

Its just an extra source for the coaches.

All teams basically have "consultants" anyways.

I don't think this will make a big enough impact one way or the other.
Jones has had various football people help in the past, but this seems a little different, given that Reeves turned down an OC job to do this (assuming that he really wants to work).

Regardless, it's another attempt by Jones to treat symptoms instead of treating the disease.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bach;2604712 said:
I think that's a good possibility. Wade's on his last year of his contract so I really doubt Jerry extends him.

I'd much rather Shanahan than Garrett takeover then. But whoever it is maybe Jerry will give them the authority the need and full control over their staff.

I did not know that Shanahan was only 56 ..... seems like he has been in the league forever.

Thats a young headcoach with a ton of experience.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
zrinkill;2604728 said:
I did not know that Shanahan was only 56 ..... seems like he has been in the league forever.

Thats a young headcoach with a ton of experience.

I didn't realize he was only 56 either. I wish we could just fastforward to 2010 if that's the plan.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
iceberg;2604721 said:
in retrospect, jones tries too hard to get the flash player and thinks mental problems will just work themselves out.

to date has any real "mental problem" worked out like we'd have hoped?
TO? great divide here.
tank johnson? move along son and take your 6 shooter with you
pacman? wow. only 1 year and not even all of that.
spellman...

it's not about the talent it's about coming together as a team and letting talent develop. someone said jones does a lot of band aids and that sounds pretty fair. he can get the talent but the talent isn't coming together.

couple that with romo having some growing pains and we had a bad year all around. focusing on any 1 given area is pointless but agendas come out and player xyz must go.

When you have a 55 man Roster you are going to make some mistakes here and there.

The problem is everything is magnified in Dallas.

Jerry has done more good than bad over the last 5 years imo and expecting him to be perfect is just not realistic.

The same Pacman that looks like an incredibly bonehead move now (like I said), is the same move you were praising Jerry for making at the time.

My biggest problem is we don't have anyone on this coaching staff that is a Quarterback Guru and the guy in charge plays into letting this team lose focus through the season and lacks instilling discipline.