Twitter: Cowboys considering a David Irving return?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Looks they're at least looking into it.......well, what can it hurt, I guess. But here's the difference between Mike and Jason. By his own admission, Mike's an alpha. These type players and their issues don't intimidate Mike one bit. If he has to deal with them, so be it. Jason, on the other hand, wanted the right kind of guys.

i would stay away.

he quit on Dallas.

smoked drugs.

ran out of money ( shocker)

now wants another game check.

pass.

Hadenough

Reaction score
The Cowboys may be looking at the situation but I would be surprised if he’s brought back if he’s reinstated. He proved that he doesn’t love football and isn’t dedicated to playing the game. You can’t depend on guys like him and that was evident when he was part of the team.
Couldnt agree more! Just another wasted talent with a righteous attitude.

glimmerman

Reaction score
#1 he has to be reinstated.. Should be.
#2 he has to pass a drug test. Need to see that because the CBA hasn’t been approved and unless JJ knows that these new rules are retro then there will still be drug testing for weed. And if Irving is reinstated he maybe (depending on how many tests he has failed) subject to random testing. They tested Gregory constantly.
#3 MM won’t put up with foolishness. He will tell him to hit the road if he shows up late and half steps in practice.

But if healthy mind and body then it will help big time at a position of need. I would still draft a big DT.

plymkr

Reaction score
Looks they're at least looking into it.......well, what can it hurt, I guess. But here's the difference between Mike and Jason. By his own admission, Mike's an alpha. These type players and their issues don't intimidate Mike one bit. If he has to deal with them, so be it. Jason, on the other hand, wanted the right kind of guys.

I bet Sean Lee is excited.

817Gill

Reaction score
I think the real point is being missed here: MM saw first hand how disruptive Irving could be during that 2016 end of season game. You dont think Mike wants that on HIS Dline? Pfft!! Heck yeah he does!!!
Beat me to it lol, that might have been Irving's best game in his career. Definitely left a mark on MM

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
#1 he has to be reinstated.. Should be.
#2 he has to pass a drug test. Need to see that because the CBA hasn’t been approved and unless JJ knows that these new rules are retro then there will still be drug testing for weed. And if Irving is reinstated he maybe (depending on how many tests he has failed) subject to random testing. They tested Gregory constantly.
#3 MM won’t put up with foolishness. He will tell him to hit the road if he shows up late and half steps in practice.

But if healthy mind and body then it will help big time at a position of need. I would still draft a big DT.

+1 ...I can see MM telling guys like him, you're getting one shot with a clean slate, what you do with it is up to you but one, just one F'up, you're gone.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe as a trial they need to test every NFL player under the new proposed rules, and see how many pass. :lmao2:

Chuck 54

Reaction score

I'm sure part of it is that Irving had some monster moments against the Packers when Mike was coach.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If it were my call I would not want him back. However I will say this is one of those situations where I would hope the Jones boys will confer with McCarthy if this is a player he wants to contend with. After the player is signed it becomes the coaches problem, let McCarthy make the call.

timb2

Reaction score
Must mean David Irving is out of money from smoking pot? No thanks!!! Irving showed he could care less about football.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I get everyone who doesn't want him back but at the end of the day he's just a defensive tackle.

He's not the face of the franchise.

He's not some big National lightning rod that people will constantly use to grand stand their opinions.

The only people who care are on this board.. Your everyday Cowboy fan probably get him and Gregory mixed up lol.

If David Irving was coming back to the New York Jets nobody would care.. Since it's Dallas it will get a little news but not much.

If things line up properly there is no way placing David Irving on this team makes us worse. He's a rare talent at a position we desperately need help at.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
I would 100% take him back. He left for a very valid reason- the NFL is prescribing opioids and xanax like candy but outlawing marijuana?? That is insane, point blank period. Power to Irving for taking a stand, i wish more guys in the league did the same.

And for the people who think he "doesnt love the game" or is an "idiot", they simply have never been through opioid and/or benzo addiction because it is life-wrecking and potentially fatal. I see nothing wrong in David Irving caring more about his life and health than his job, which is exactly the predicament that many players in the NFL and esp Irving (who dealt with many injuries in his short career) find themselves in.

John813

Reaction score
I get everyone who doesn't want him back but at the end of the day he's just a defensive tackle.

He's not the face of the franchise.

He's not some big National lightning rod that people will constantly use to grand stand their opinions.

The only people who care are on this board.. Your everyday Cowboy fan probably get him and Gregory mixed up lol.

If David Irving was coming back to the New York Jets nobody would care.. Since it's Dallas it will get a little news but not much.

If things line up properly there is no way placing David Irving on this team makes us worse. He's a rare talent at a position we desperately need help at.

Unless the team convinces themselves that re-signing Irving solves the 3 tech position this year and they pass up talent early in the draft or in FA cause Irving had 7 sacks in 8 games 3 years ago.

This team never bothered bringing competition for Jeff Heath. You think they would re-sign Irving and still continue to upgrade the 3 tech?

I'd love to break that pessimistic mindset on player acquisition as we do have new coaches but the same F.O.