Twitter: Cowboys considering a David Irving return?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Mike's an alpha. lol

Why is it funny?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-mccarthy-era-ends-in-green-bay-on-sour-note

In my December 2014 profile of Rodgers, I likened the creative tension between him and McCarthy to that of the cinematic parody band Spinal Tap's two visionaries, Nigel Tufnel and David St. Hubbins. Rodgers laughed at that assessment, but both he and McCarthy acknowledged that they were exacting and competitive co-workers, and that things sometimes got heated.

"Coach McCarthy always talks about alpha dogs -- well, they're like two alphas going at it," former Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk said at the time.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If it were my call I would not want him back. However I will say this is one of those situations where I would hope the Jones boys will confer with McCarthy if this is a player he wants to contend with. After the player is signed it becomes the coaches problem, let McCarthy make the call.

I could be wrong but I think if it was left to Stephen and Jerry, we wouldn't even be talking about him. I think Mike's the only reason it's getting consideration.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think if it was left to Stephen and Jerry, we wouldn't even be talking about him. I think Mike's the only reason it's getting consideration.

Given the fact it has been Jerry and Stephen who continue to bring in and keep problem players it is hard for me to believe this is because of McCarthy but who knows. Having said that I still feel that as long as McCarthy gives the thumbs up on Irving then fine after all he has to contend with the players.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Simple minded. Dude is a beast and we should most def bring him back.

The dude is an idiot who quit the game to smoke pot. With a new HC and philosophy I don’t see the Cowboys wasting anymore time with guys like him. He was given a chance and walked away.

cern

Reaction score
The dude is an idiot who quit the game to smoke pot. With the new coaching staff and philosophy I don’t see the Cowboys wasting anymore time with guys like him.
well, one does have to admire his conviction.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Must mean David Irving is out of money from smoking pot? No thanks!!! Irving showed he could care less about football.
I remember in 2018 he had an ankle sprain injury then just went completely AWOL. He didn't even attemtp to go to team meetings or use the rehab facility to get back into shape for a late season surge.

He literally just told the team "meh i'm done for the year, i'm gonna get paid so screw your late season playoff push"

He has zero desire to play football, he just wants a paycheck

+1 ...I can see MM telling guys like him, you're getting one shot with a clean slate, what you do with it is up to you but one, just one F'up, you're gone.
This is technically true. If he signs a contract that's all base pay then you can bring him in and see if he works hard in OTA, Training camp, and pre-season. If he goofs off or doesn't seem serious then he simply won't make the final roster.

I'm sure most fans would be okay with that, basically a camp body that has 12 weeks to prove himself

glimmerman

Reaction score
Been around for 4 years and only made 3.6 million. Most of that in his last year. He was set to make at least double that last year. If he can smoke his weed then bring him back for 4 million. Or a 10 million 2 year deal. Unless he gets in trouble for roids again.

dfense

Reaction score
Why is it funny?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-mccarthy-era-ends-in-green-bay-on-sour-note

In my December 2014 profile of Rodgers, I likened the creative tension between him and McCarthy to that of the cinematic parody band Spinal Tap's two visionaries, Nigel Tufnel and David St. Hubbins. Rodgers laughed at that assessment, but both he and McCarthy acknowledged that they were exacting and competitive co-workers, and that things sometimes got heated.

"Coach McCarthy always talks about alpha dogs -- well, they're like two alphas going at it," former Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk said at the time.
I just imagined him as more of an alpha at the buffet.

chagus

Reaction score
Nooooo, it's not addictive. Despite the fact that the vast majority of NFL players keep playing and passing the drug tests every year but Irving couldn't do it, but "Noooooo, it's not addictive." He can't play football because he can't play without drugs. He can't even go without the drugs long enough to pass the test. What other kinds of drugs does he need that he's not talking about?

Lol! Calm down. Its a PLANT.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatever form it comes in, its still 200 times better and safer than opioids.
Absolutely it is, but I do think it's a bit of a misstatement to say it isn't addictive. It may not be physically addictive, but for many there is a mental/emotional dependency they either can't shake or have difficulty shaking. Randy Gregory may be the NFL poster boy for that.

Londonboy

Reaction score
And that may be all he needs. If he can smoke his weed then he might happy as a lark. What ever a lark is.
Galerida_deva.jpg

btcutter

Reaction score
I hate the dude and love the player. I’m torn

Easy one for me. Money is a great motivator. Big upside. Easily our best DT if he just show up.

I give him an incentive laden contract that locks him up for 3 years. If he doesn't produce he gets paid minimum vet salary per game. No bonuses. Can cut him at anytime if he slacks off or violates any league policy.

kskboys

Reaction score
There is a huge downside. The downside is that we could easily lose out on some talented youngsters if we waste time w/ this ignorant pothead.