Cowboys & Dak Prescott are expected to have deal done before free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
1. They were ALWAYS going to have a deal done.
2. What that deal is can go many, many ways.

Dallas best bet at this point is either lean all the way in or lean all the way out bit this middle ground crap is why they are limbo with zero power.
They can not keep getting spanked by NFL agents.
Sign a mega deal that pushed a lot of money out for many years but guarantees an insane amount or hand Dak free agency in 2025 with a player option, NBA style.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Dak has been unsuccessful in the playoffs. He is not Mahomes. Well, duh. You don’t throw your team and chances to win out the window for that reason. The next Brady or Mahomes is not sitting out there waiting for Dallas to call.

With no run game, in his first year in Mike’s offense and play calling, with a new WR#2, he was the runner up for league MVP. Maybe he didn’t deserve that, but he had a good enough season to be talked about it when only 5 QBs in the league were even discussed.

Of course they are going to resign, restructure, extend him. It’s a no brainer, and there’s not a coach or gym in the league who would do anything different. They are going to try and help the defense stop the run. They are going to try and improve the run game. They are going to try and be back in the mix the next 2-3 years.

Maybe Dak will play poorly even with a good defense. Maybe he will play poorly even with a run game. Maybe he will play worse instead of better in his second year in Mike’s defense. Anything is possible, but there’s a chance of winning. There is no chance in any other scenario right now. If you don’t like that, blame Jerry for not looking for future QBs long before now.

I will say this, not necessarily in Dak’s defense, because it’s still a shortcoming, but ….
Dak played poorly this year only against teams that exposed the defense, ran amuck on us, and ran up the score, making it desperation time early. Arizona, SF, Buffalo, GB. In close losses where the defense played more consistently, he played well enough — The losses in Philly and Miami. Put him in a close game like last night’s SB that was low scoring and dominated by defense most of the game, history says he will compete well. Would he win a close game vs KC? I’m never betting against Mahomes.

Dak has warts and he needs help. Like most QBs, including Purdy, he needs weapons, a run game, and decent protection. The team needs a defense that doesn’t wilt against the best physical, running offenses. Dak is not elite, but sometimes he plays that way, and he’s certainly above average. Our chances with him are infinitely better than our chances without him at this time.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does that mean that Lamar and Dak are more valuable than Mahomes? And the fans that critique the way Dak plays are the ignorant ones?

By the way, don't include me in your "y'all" stuff, I know it was not all his fault, but as the QB of my favorite team coming up to nine years now, hell no, I'm not going to shine his shoes, I'll leave that up to you lovers.
Using "ya'll" on the forum should be at least 1 day benching.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The only way giving Dak a new contract pays off is if it results in a SB. Otherwise the team will be in a much worse position in 4 or 5 years.

Burrow and Herbert got 218ish million guaranteed last season. Do the math on spreading that, plus the existing 60 million in cap responsibility over a 4 or 5 year contract. It will buy short term relief but be an even bigger back breaker when the bill comes due in a few years. You better hope we have a championship to celebrate during the couple years of cap cleanup that is coming.

Dak would have to accept a MUCH lower guaranteed amount than market to give the team any kind of "out" in the next 2 or 3 years.

You give Dak a market rate contract and you better damn sure go all in to win one in the next 2 or 3 years. Now, what are the odds Dak accepts a truly team friendly deal and/or the Jones truly go all in via trade and FA? Both would be unprecedented.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
News flash! You are talking to the whole world.
People are free to comment any way they wish within the rules, but you just cant help yourself can ya?
You're the one who can't help yourself. Nobody was talking to you, but Dak lives in your mind 24/7. I'm so glad my comments to others eats you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.