Cowboys & Dak Prescott are expected to have deal done before free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
No matter where you stand on Dak, extending him provides the best short and long term cap relief, so this is a deal that needs to be done.

Just leaving Dak's deal alone costs almost $60 million this year. That's too much for one player, even if Dak led a deep playoff run.

To me Dallas needs to do another four year extension, this time WITHOUT the no-trade clause and WITH an "out" after one or two years. Force Dak to bet on himself and protect the team long term. Also remember any potential dead money owed Dak in 2026 or 2027 if he's cut should be mitigated by the expected cap increase every year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't cry like some who get their feelings hurt when the media, team, team family members and posters on here are critical of chokescott.
This crap bothers me none. I want to see the loser with a lesser team, and when he gets greedy I will get my wish. Too bad for you. lol
You've been crying since Romo got benched and forced to retire because of Dak. lol

DuncanIso

Reaction score
dude, Jerry., just let this bum play out his last year…. We can wait one more year of horrible QB play.. and when he’s sucking it up, then it’s not going to mean anything when you bench him for Lance..
Can’t.

Huge cap hit.

nobody

Reaction score
Kurt Warner and Cole Beasley explained the reasons for the INTs vs Packers...

So how does that translate to Dak being a proven playoff choker?

Not even going to argue with you. Other expert players have explained how he choked... and it was three years in a row. Three years in a row. It's not a statistical fluke. His ankle injury gave him the yips he can't get rid of. Sorry to see it because he had such promise...but it ruined him mentally.

raven55

Reaction score
this contract was dumb and dumber's destruction of the cowboys. they wouldn't know how to construct a players contract if they had taken an idiots guide 101 off of the movie waterboy

Mannix

Reaction score
After watching Mahomes yesterday winning with a band of misfits, and reading about Dallas extending Dak to make more money than Mahomes, really sickens me. Add more years to the futility and frustration of winning in the playoffs, much less getting to a SB. Dak needs ALL Pros around him to just get to a wild card....maybe. :facepalm:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Post of the day

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Huge mistake. Take the cap hit this year, and let him walk. Sign our best upcoming FAs to backloaded deals to get through this year. So, we suck one year, it is better that sucking in the playoffs for another 5 years.
I think you’re leaving out one key step to avoid sucking for many years. Where do we get another QB who performs at least as well as he has?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
But it shows Dak doesn't care as long as he gets paid. He has generational money already. He should be focused on a reasonable deal to help the team at this stage. Dump this chump. Find someone who wants to WIN even if it means a few years of a slump for the team. Dak showed he ain't the guy and never will be.
Why should any professional athlete take a lesser contract. When has money ever been a factor? We haven’t even used our cap money for several years. Talk to me about money when they are up against the cap and have to let a Lamb or Parsons walk. Unless you give a huge contract to a guy who you cut and get hit with dead money in a big way, money is not the issue. Is money why we had no run game? Is money why we had no LBs and couldn’t stop the run?

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Dak has been unsuccessful in the playoffs. He is not Mahomes. Well, duh. You don’t throw your team and chances to win out the window for that reason. The next Brady or Mahomes is not sitting out there waiting for Dallas to call.

With no run game, in his first year in Mike’s offense and play calling, with a new WR#2, he was the runner up for league MVP. Maybe he didn’t deserve that, but he had a good enough season to be talked about it when only 5 QBs in the league were even discussed.

Of course they are going to resign, restructure, extend him. It’s a no brainer, and there’s not a coach or gym in the league who would do anything different. They are going to try and help the defense stop the run. They are going to try and improve the run game. They are going to try and be back in the mix the next 2-3 years.

Maybe Dak will play poorly even with a good defense. Maybe he will play poorly even with a run game. Maybe he will play worse instead of better in his second year in Mike’s defense. Anything is possible, but there’s a chance of winning. There is no chance in any other scenario right now. If you don’t like that, blame Jerry for not looking for future QBs long before now.

I will say this, not necessarily in Dak’s defense, because it’s still a shortcoming, but ….
Dak played poorly this year only against teams that exposed the defense, ran amuck on us, and ran up the score, making it desperation time early. Arizona, SF, Buffalo, GB. In close losses where the defense played more consistently, he played well enough — The losses in Philly and Miami. Put him in a close game like last night’s SB that was low scoring and dominated by defense most of the game, history says he will compete well. Would he win a close game vs KC? I’m never betting against Mahomes.

Dak has warts and he needs help. Like most QBs, including Purdy, he needs weapons, a run game, and decent protection. The team needs a defense that doesn’t wilt against the best physical, running offenses. Dak is not elite, but sometimes he plays that way, and he’s certainly above average. Our chances with him are infinitely better than our chances without him at this time.
......"Dak is not elite, but sometimes he plays that way, and he’s certainly above average."

Then why in the heck would you pay him as an elite QB? Your post is being generous that he is above average, he is not. He is above average vs loser teams, like all the NFC East teams. Probably half the other NFL QBs would do the same with our team. Get rid of the Bum already. We just need a bus driver that does not panic when the pressure is on.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
I think you’re leaving out one key step to avoid sucking for many years. Where do we get another QB who performs at least as well as he has?
Any decent bus driving QB that is cool and calm under pressure will do. The key is to have a QB that does not panic and fall apart in big games. Fix the run game and the run defense, and get rid of Dak in 2025 if he cannot get us to the SB this year. Let Dak walk if he can't get us to the promise land. Enough of a bum that cannot win against good opponents. Even Jimmy Garoppolo went to a SB for crying out loud.

nobody

Reaction score
Why should any professional athlete take a lesser contract. When has money ever been a factor? We haven’t even used our cap money for several years. Talk to me about money when they are up against the cap and have to let a Lamb or Parsons walk. Unless you give a huge contract to a guy who you cut and get hit with dead money in a big way, money is not the issue. Is money why we had no run game? Is money why we had no LBs and couldn’t stop the run?
A QB paid his salary shouldn't have the yips and choke three years in a row. Was he the only reason they lost? Of course not, but why pay a QB top dollar pay when he offers bottom dollar performance when it matters most? It's stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.