Twitter: Cowboys expected to pick up 5th year option on Byron Jones

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing against Byron, but we just spent the money we saved cutting Dez.
Or the money we could have spent filling in the giant hole at MLB with former pro bowler Navarro Bowman.

I’m not sure if Byron will see the field at CB much.
Does anyone know if we expect him to start or are we paying $6m to a guy who hasn’t played CB in several seasons.

Not true, the money to Byron isn't until next year, when Dez's money is off the books. And supposedly we will have like $70 million in cap space next season, so I read on here if that is correct.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is CB his natural position? I thought he only played that 1 season in college. Could be wrong on that.

Also are we sure that Kris Richards is better than Matt Eberflus was? Kris had some Pro-bowl caliber players to work with.

Richard is our secondary coach and passing game coordinator, Eberflus was LB's coach. We all seen how he never developed any players.
And not every player on the Seahawks was just natural at their position, Richard did have some influence on them.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I actually didn't. Seemed like they would just let him go....but I'm glad it happened. They've screwed him out of his natural position....he deserves a shot to play corner.
Yeah he played a lot of corner his rookie year and played pretty well. I think he was even runner up for defensive rookie of the year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Not true, the money to Byron isn't until next year, when Dez's money is off the books. And supposedly we will have like $70 million in cap space next season, so I read on here if that is correct.
That should let us get some stuff done. Maybe we can get contact too.. lol

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Why do people keep saying it isn't guaranteed?

If he gets hurt next year, it's guaranteed. If he's on the roster day one of the 2019 season, it's guaranteed. They are not exercising the option with plans to then turn around and cut him next off-season.

I like Byron Jones so this move doesn't bother me. I just hope they put some decent safeties behind him.

robjay04

Reaction score
Nothing against Byron, but we just spent the money we saved cutting Dez.
Or the money we could have spent filling in the giant hole at MLB with former pro bowler Navarro Bowman.

I’m not sure if Byron will see the field at CB much.
Does anyone know if we expect him to start or are we paying $6m to a guy who hasn’t played CB in several seasons.

This is not until next year. We are picking up his fifth year option so he we hold his rights going into the 2019 season. As far as I know, this has no effect on the 2018 cap.

We will have a ton of room next season.

robjay04

Reaction score

If he gets hurt next year, it's guaranteed. If he's on the roster day one of the 2019 season, it's guaranteed. They are not exercising the option with plans to then turn around and cut him next off-season.

I like Byron Jones so this move doesn't bother me. I just hope they put some decent safeties behind him.

He’s not going to be a safety anymore. He is going to be a CB.

He was a little rocky last season but Anthony Brown was a solid player in 2016 and now he will be penned as our fifth corner. We now have all 4 of our top CBS on contract for at least the next two years.

robjay04

Reaction score

Because it’s not guaranteed.

If he’s not on the roster, we don’t pay him. If he sucks this season, we do have the option to move on and not pay him a dime in 2019 if I understand the fifth year option correctly.

This simply gives us the ability to control his rights going into the 2019 season. Nothing really changes, he will have to earn that money this season.

robbieruff

Reaction score
Shouldn’t it be really considered a 3rd year option since BJ has been invisible for a good 50% of his snaps??? All about that zone integrity brah...

blueblood70

Reaction score
its not going to save him if he fails at CB transition..he will be cut after this season , its a prove it year..6mil for him LMAO not worth it if he doesn't show up at corner..

gmoney112

Reaction score
Because it’s not guaranteed.

If he’s not on the roster, we don’t pay him. If he sucks this season, we do have the option to move on and not pay him a dime in 2019 if I understand the fifth year option correctly.

This simply gives us the ability to control his rights going into the 2019 season. Nothing really changes, he will have to earn that money this season.

I was thinking that it would make sense to take a small hit if you exercise the option and then just release them before league season. But nope, you can let him go before the official league year in March and not suffer any cap penalty.

Sweet. I was actually curious why they hadn't done it yet. Hopefully he earns the option.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
its not going to save him if he fails at CB transition..he will be cut after this season , its a prove it year..6mil for him LMAO not worth it if he doesn't show up at corner..
Mo got $7 million, Carr almost $7 million, who would you rather have?

Praxit

Reaction score
.....just dont do it for Brown. That guy will kill us..

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Good move. He has a couple of years to prove his worth at CB. 6 mill isn't much if he proves himself. We paid Carr 10 mill when he signed and Claiborne $5 mill ( I think it was $5 mill) on a one year deal and he's a better athlete than both. Hasn't missed a game either. Wasn't that Carr's selling point?