Twitter: Cowboys expected to pick up 5th year option on Byron Jones

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Nothing against Byron, but we just spent the money we saved cutting Dez.
Or the money we could have spent filling in the giant hole at MLB with former pro bowler Navarro Bowman.

I’m not sure if Byron will see the field at CB much.
Does anyone know if we expect him to start or are we paying $6m to a guy who hasn’t played CB in several seasons.
Byron is still on his rookie deal this year. That $6.17 is for 2019, only guaranteed for injury.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or the money we could have spent filling in the giant hole at MLB with former pro bowler Navarro Bowman.

Does anyone know if we expect him to start or are we paying $6m to a guy who hasn’t played CB in several seasons.

Not exactly... the 5th year option doesn't kick in until 2019.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent move by the front office. They lock him in at a reduced rate (5th year for a corner is 9.1M but is being paid as a safety). Like has been stated, it’s only guaranteed for injury so the option can easily be retracted before next season at no cost Barron significant injury. It gives them a year to evaluate him as a corner under Kris Richard’s tutelage with the option to keep him at a reduced rate for the position if he succeeds. Very pragmatic move.

The 5th year option is normally a much better deal for the team with a player not drafted in the top 10.

Picked 11-32
Average of top 3-25 contracts at the position.

Picked 1-10
Average of top 10 at the position.

As you mentioned it's even better for Jones at CB because his option is based on his 2017 position of Safety.

DHCBF66

Reaction score

We didn't lose any of the Dez $$$. Jones is going into his 4th year so he will still be playing under his rookie deal (right around $2.8 million), the option will not kick in until his 5th year.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This just helps give byron security. It is not a fully guaranteed extension, only for injury. Byron can go play hard knowing if he is hurt he isn't totally screwed. If he plays well, he can either play for the 6mil or get extended.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Unreal. I am a bit surprised at how low the number is for the safety position and the only way this makes any sense is is he plays corner. So after 4 years of the front office saying safety is his position I am now supposed to believe that it is a good move because corner is his position. Good grief. He should have been signed to a 2 year 6 million dollar deal.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Lol what makes you think he is going to take the next step? Is it the two career interceptions he has? Is it his unwillingness to tackle?

Why are you happy with his level of play? Clearly it wasn’t very good or else we would have never moved him back to corner.

He can run fast and that’s about it.

Actually he can jump very far too.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Actually, for next year we are saving around 12m on Dez. So we didn't spend all the money.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Unreal. I am a bit surprised at how low the number is for the safety position and the only way this makes any sense is is he plays corner. So after 4 years of the front office saying safety is his position I am now supposed to believe that it is a good move because corner is his position. Good grief. He should have been signed to a 2 year 6 million dollar deal.
If he were a free agent plenty of teams would pay that 6 or more. Younger and more talented than Carr & Claiborne.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
At least we'll find out what we might have missed if BJ wasn't moved back to CB this year. Kris Richards is good enough as a secondary coach to get the most out of him. He should never have been moved to safety, anyhow. Putting him back to his natural position at CB just might revive his career.

Last edited:

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the cutoff date is for them to pick up the option?

Either way, it is a good move. You just don't give up on a player that has produced some good play but just not what you would expect from a first rounder. The fact he is in the middle of a position change could make this a steal for the Cowboys if he produces at a high level.

On the open market as a safety, he would be considered at least average, which would put him at a salary higher than this. As a corner, it would be higher. This is just an example of people complaining solely to complain.

ghst187

Reaction score
Hopefully this is to give us another year to trade him

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Don’t forget, Byron had a very solid season at CB as a rookie. Kris Richard will get the most out of him there.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Given the price point and the move to corner and the hiring of a legit DB coach, I think this is a good move

Techsass

Reaction score
Is CB his natural position? I thought he only played that 1 season in college. Could be wrong on that.

Also are we sure that Kris Richards is better than Matt Eberflus was? Kris had some Pro-bowl caliber players to work with.