Twitter: Cowboys expected to pick up 5th year option on Byron Jones

PUSHfold

Reaction score
For all the people complaining this is a bad move who should we sign to replace his production for the same price? Is BJ a great player? No, but he's solid and we're given more time to evaluate what he's gonna be like as a CB with a new secondary coach.
He's got all the physical tools to be an elite CB so let's see if he can finally put it all together...maybe he will and maybe he won't but it's worth it to find out.

The Natural

Reaction score
So they need an additional year to confirm what the eyes have already proven? lol, the guy aint a football player.

And I see fans are already making this Kris Richards out to be a miracle worker. Just like Rod, bring in any old JAG and let Rod "coach them up". At some point you need talented players.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He played a lot of safety his first 2 years in college, and had to know there was a chance he could play it as a pro. He didn’t get screwed, he just helped out where his employer asked him to.
Naw he got screwed. He was drafted as a corner and was asked to make a position switch after his rookie year...he couldn't play it well enough and and now his rep is he can't play.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So they need an additional year to confirm what the eyes have already proven? lol, the guy aint a football player.

And I see fans are already making this Kris Richards out to be a miracle worker. Just like Rod, bring in any old JAG and let Rod "coach them up". At some point you need talented players.
Byron is talented.

Jipper

Reaction score
We got a starting cb at the discounted price of a safety....very smart and sound financial move by the FO

DaBoys12

Reaction score
Good call, he's a corner not a safety. I question his tackling skills, but the guy has talent, and can cover. I just don't think he ever got comfortable playing safety, and his confidence took a little hit in the process.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Battle between him and Anthony Brown now. Both are here for two more seasons...too early to tell who will end up being the outside CBs. That includes Chido and Lewis too, Richard may move a few of them around

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I've been critical of Byron Jones since he was drafted, but this move makes sense.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
When I read this too fast at first I thought it said cowboys trade up to pick 5th overall.

Techsass

Reaction score
Richard is our secondary coach and passing game coordinator, Eberflus was LB's coach. We all seen how he never developed any players.
And not every player on the Seahawks was just natural at their position, Richard did have some influence on them.
My bad. I thought Eberflus was in charge of the passing game for the D, not just the LBs. And here I was thinking he was pretty darn good. So how did he get the DC gig?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I like this move. Of course, I'm holding out hope this is the year Byron Jones breaks out. He certainly fits the mold of what Kris Richard wants in his cornerbacks; and with Jones' ability to cover tight ends I'm sure he's going to be moved around a bit in nickel packages and the like.

Jones was never a good enough tackler to be an ideal safety. I think the Cowboys kind of forced him into that spot because they didn't have a choice. Last year they found out both Xavier Woods and Kavon Frazier can be effective.

Count me as really excited about the potential of this young secondary; especially with Awuzie and Lewis at corner.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I have zero faith Byron will play any better than what he has shown. But the 5th for him gives us some depth and is fairly cheap for next year. I dont think he should be on the outside maybe get on the field to cover tight ends but other than that maybe compete with brown at the nickel. Yes he has the size for the outside but he's not that good.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I have zero faith Byron will play any better than what he has shown. But the 5th for him gives us some depth and is fairly cheap for next year. I dont think he should be on the outside maybe get on the field to cover tight ends but other than that maybe compete with brown at the nickel. Yes he has the size for the outside but he's not that good.

To be fair, Jones is a good player, but not a difference maker. The problem is he was a first round pick; and those guys are supposed to be the foundation of your team. If the Cowboys got Jones in the 3rd or 4th round, he'd be considered a steal. Because of where he was taken, people see him as a scrub.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
To be fair, Jones is a good player, but not a difference maker. The problem is he was a first round pick; and those guys are supposed to be the foundation of your team. If the Cowboys got Jones in the 3rd or 4th round, he'd be considered a steal. Because of where he was taken, people see him as a scrub.
He's an average starter nothing special that had a mental lapse that cost us a playoff game. Doesnt make any plays his only 2 ints was a hail Mary at halftime and a 4th down play last year at the end of the game. If we got him in the 5th round I would still be ready to move on from him. The fact we picked him ahead of Landon Collins because of a broad jump makes me want to throw up.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I was wondering if they would pick it up. Hopefully he excels at corner.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
He's an average starter nothing special that had a mental lapse that cost us a playoff game. Doesnt make any plays his only 2 ints was a hail Mary at halftime and a 4th down play last year at the end of the game. If we got him in the 5th round I would still be ready to move on from him. The fact we picked him ahead of Landon Collins because of a broad jump makes me want to throw up.

Cannot argue with any of that. The entire 2015 draft was basically a waste for Dallas; and it ruins a run of some pretty solid classes over the past decade.