Cowboys extend offer to Lamb at $33mil/season

rambo2

Reaction score
I love your enthusiasm, because I used to be the same back in the late 90's / early 2000's. I am curious though, is there a season that you didn't think the Cowboys would be good?
I know they are good. The sneaky good statement is for the ignorant fans that don't know that they are good.

Flamma

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why he is picking on Lamb. Is that the hill you want to die on? Lamb has done nothing but be good, and durable. I think he missed one game due to Covid? Or something else.

I can understand if you don't think a WR is worth that money. But if you intend on paying him, nickel and diming Lamb is stupid.

Sydla

Reaction score
They play at least half their games in Texas :rolleyes:
And half their games elsewhere, including maybe in a state that also doesn't have income taxes.

So no, the income tax issue is very likely not a needle mover for these guys signing big NFL contracts like Lamb. And if Lamb averages $33MM a year and Jefferson is $35MM, saying the income tax benefit makes up for that difference would be silly. It would not (and frankly, it's far more complicated than that anyway).

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And half their games elsewhere, including maybe in a state that also doesn't have income taxes.

So no, the income tax issue is very likely not a needle mover for these guys signing big NFL contracts like Lamb. And if Lamb averages $33MM a year and Jefferson is $35MM, saying the income tax benefit makes up for that difference would be silly. It would not (and frankly, it's far more complicated than that anyway).
Yes, income tax does become a topic in contract negotiations. It’s been stated numerous times over the years.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
right man was already making $1,000,000 a game and they're cheapskates literally top five guys at wide receiver right now average 31 million so there's 35 million to Justin Jefferson then 32 to the A.J. Brown wow what cheapskates ohh my how did Miami get the best player in football voted number one by his peers only take 30 million a year over three years at 90 million ohh man DJ Moore you don't think he's a great wide receiver he's the most underrated wide receiver in the league took 27.5 million now I would say that if 33 million seems like a cheapskate to you you need to move on from watching professional sports and debating contracts and whatnot and start looking at agents and players being super greedy because you can't have an open checkbook and a blank contract to allow an agent and a player to fill out when you have a hard salary cap and a roster limit this is not Major League Baseball you can't just spend whatever you want..

Man the Super casual fan with the clueless and delusional statements as if an owner is a cheapskate because he's trying to negotiate a compromise and come to the middle of the table so he could build the rest of his team but 33 million if city lamb holds out over 2 million a year it will take him seven years to make up the $15 million he'll lose for sitting out and holding out for 12 games this year along with the fines that would be really dumb and really greedy and we all see it look at the other wide receivers you took an average of 31 million or less there's some great wide receivers..

I mean amari Cooper's only making 20 million guaranteed this year and he doesn't even have a contract how about Jamar chase no contract I mean Brandon IU is in a battle Trent brown sitting on the sideline Reddick is fighting for more money I mean this is not a Jerry Jones issue this is a professional sports dilemma that all teams have to deal with and owners and players have to negotiate that's why it's a negotiation the only difference now than it was 10 or 15 years ago is social media has changed and now the stories are 24 hours a day seven days a week 365 days a year mostly of misinformation and a bunch of crap everyone taking a side when there is no side to take it will get done when it gets done and that is just how it works....
CeeDee has proven his worth as a NFL wide receiver. Jerry Jones has not proven himself a NFL GM that can build a championship team. Other teams’ issues signing their players is of no consequence to Lamb. This is a Cowboys issue. The team’s best receiver is not in training camp and the team’s GM has not been able to get him there. Cooper, Chase, Aiyuk, their contracts are their business. Jerry Jones needs to take care of the Cowboys’ business.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes, income tax does become a topic in contract negotiations. It’s been stated numerous times over the years.
Prove it. Prove that is is a major topic in negotiations. Oh I know Jerry and Stephen have publicly said it should be factored in but as others in this thread have pointed out, it's largely not a major needle mover and in this case, no, the no state tax in Texas does not mean Lamb's contract is essentially on par with Jefferson's.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What I don't understand is why he is picking on Lamb. Is that the hill you want to die on? Lamb has done nothing but be good, and durable. I think he missed one game due to Covid? Or something else.

I can understand if you don't think a WR is worth that money. But if you intend on paying him, nickel and diming Lamb is stupid.
The question is how will he be after he gets the bag

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Prove it. Prove that is is a major topic in negotiations. Oh I know Jerry and Stephen have publicly said it should be factored in but as others in this thread have pointed out, it's largely not a major needle mover and in this case, no, the no state tax in Texas does not mean Lamb's contract is essentially on par with Jefferson's.
Oh, now it’s a “major topic”. LOL. Not sure if it’s major or not but it’s certainly a topic. Jerry’s said so many times. You should listen to him sometimes.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I don't think they are necessarily picking on Lamb.

There are two ways to look at it IMO. The Joneses had a timetable in mind from the start and have not exceeded it, so they can continue to negotiate. They aren't worried about Lamb attending camp because a) it gives the team a chance to get a longer look at third-receiver candidates and b) it reduces the opportunities for him to get injured.

The other aspect is Lamb's side may not have been willing to negotiate until the other dominoes fell with receiver salaries. That way they could know how much to press for. Stephen Jones seemed to indicate that this was a factor.

I think both of those played a role. Now, if these negotiations extend into the regular season then I'll agree that nickel and diming him is stupid. Right now, as Jerry said, I don't think there's any real urgency. There should be by next weekend since that will be two weeks before our first game. I would think they'd want him to have that much warm-up time at least. (I was thinking three weeks would be more ideal, though.)

Sydla

Reaction score
Oh, now it’s a “major topic”. LOL. Not sure if it’s major or not but it’s certainly a topic. Jerry’s said so many times. You should listen to him sometimes
LOL. Listen to Jerry. And there it is.

Jerry is a known bull**** artist.

The income tax thing is not a huge deal and simply just a small benefit of playing in Texas. But trying to sell it as a big advantage that equalizes contracts and justifies the Cowboys paying less is idiotic. And in this instance, no, Lamb wouldn't be effectively making the same as Jefferson by playing in Texas.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
You're trying to stir things up...its that simple. You don't deserve to have that avatar...get a Rowdy one!
:muttley:
Please Lord tell me this is sarcasm. I didn’t stir up anything. I was clear that I was genuinely interested if people had other examples. Man you used to be fun in the Garrett sucks days. Now you are so temperamental.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
He caught more passes than both of them last year he’s ahead of their class :laugh:
Lamb is great. No doubt. He has the dawg in him too. Love the way he runs through contact. The issue is Parsons and Dak being due in the same period. Something has to give. I hope he stays.

exciter

Reaction score
No one says they should sign for under market value. But it's cap smart to sign a first round pick after 3 years. At market value.
And it would be incredibly dumb for an agent to agree to it. That’s why Lamb, Jefferson and Aiyuk were all unsigned going into this season. It’s a fantasy of fans living under the delusion they can actually do a better job running a team!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Please Lord tell me this is sarcasm. I didn’t stir up anything. I was clear that I was genuinely interested if people had other examples. Man you used to be fun in the Garrett sucks days. Now you are so temperamental.
Not having Garrett around has made me sad and bitter....

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LOL. Listen to Jerry. And there it is.

Jerry is a known bull**** artist.

The income tax thing is not a huge deal and simply just a small benefit of playing in Texas. But trying to sell it as a big advantage that equalizes contracts and justifies the Cowboys paying less is idiotic. And in this instance, no, Lamb wouldn't be effectively making the same as Jefferson by playing in Texas.
Math isn’t your forte I see. Talk to an accountant.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lamb is great. No doubt. He has the dawg in him too. Love the way he runs through contact. The issue is Parsons and Dak being due in the same period. Something has to give. I hope he stays.
Something needs to be done for sure about the runaway QB and WR contracts. All teams are having the same problem.