Cowboys extend offer to Lamb at $33mil/season

Sydla

Reaction score
Seems obvious it was the FO. I say that because it appears to be a pretty fair and substantial offer.
If this is a legit offer, this would be my guess.

And I suspect they are doing it for a few reasons, one being they want to look like the good guys here and two they want to get out in front publicity wise that they look like the initiators here whereas the real issues could be other details in the contract such as no trade clauses, no franchise tags, etc.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I assume the extension averages just under $33 million a year. But when you average it between the current contract it should drop into the 20s per year.

I think the agreement will end up $34-$34.5 million APY. Of course, that's what I've though since Jefferson signed his. Lamb had a better year (and a better one than pretty much any receiver) while Jefferson has had the better career.

Retro88

Reaction score
I wonder what the total amount of money per year we could of saved if we paid these guys "Top dollar" a year or 2 before we did. Starting from when Dak wanted what 25mil/yr before we dragged his rookie deal out.

Deionindahood

Reaction score
It's almost like you didn't read the last sentence. It would imply there's a gap between good and great, but reading isn't everyone's thing.

How about good and great are subjective. A good team wins in the post-season. A great team wins SBs. Have someone explain that to you. You definition of good isn't everybody else's.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Seems obvious it was the FO. I say that because it appears to be a pretty fair and substantial offer.
Don't know about fair but the front office saying, "See? We offered so much" is meant to make the player look greedy which they know the fans are biased towards believing. PR game (see this thread for how effective it is). Same in the Dak negotiations last time "leaking" that Dak asked for $40M and Dak's team actually had to address it in the media. It was poetic justice that they wound up signing him for exactly that.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
People trot this out (Jerry and Stephen all the time) and it really isn't the needle mover people think. Why? Because players have to pay income taxes to the cities and localities they play on the road. And it fluctuates year to year depending on where you play your road games. So while there is some advantage to playing in Texas, in the grand scheme of things the tax issue often is not all that high on the list of why guys sign new deals.
It's not considered at all I would guess. That's more fan hope for when they want a guy signed and a dagger for accusing a player of greed when they want to deny a guy getting signed.

ghst187

Reaction score
Considering no state income taxes, prolly close to what Jefferson ends up getting.
Great point. Actually Ceedee would make more because Jefferson in MN would hit the 9.85% mark for state income taxes and roughly roll out to about 3.5m per year in tax bill making his annual around 31.5m.
Rough numbers but math is in Ceedees favor, technically would be the highest paid after taxes lol…

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That wasn’t the question. Who leaked it to Watkins was the question.
Usually those high level reporters and beat writers like from this reputable publication often use unnamed sources or obtained insider information themselves.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
People trot this out (Jerry and Stephen all the time) and it really isn't the needle mover people think. Why? Because players have to pay income taxes to the cities and localities they play on the road. And it fluctuates year to year depending on where you play your road games. So while there is some advantage to playing in Texas, in the grand scheme of things the tax issue often is not all that high on the list of why guys sign new deals.
They play at least half their games in Texas :rolleyes:

Swanny

Reaction score
Easy to nickel and dime when he knows that the slot machine is all but guaranteed to pay out what he wants.

I’ll tell you this - if Jerry caves on him and dak and goes above what he has held to - I will lose the last ahead of respect I have for him…not that it matters but at this point you have waited this long, why give in now
JJ pays all his guys top dollar. Of course JJ is going to cave.

Reactions: CWR

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great point. Actually Ceedee would make more because Jefferson in MN would hit the 9.85% mark for state income taxes and roughly roll out to about 3.5m per year in tax bill making his annual around 31.5m.
Rough numbers but math is in Ceedees favor, technically would be the highest paid after taxes lol…
Remember that a players salary is divided into 17 game checks. And depending what state the game is dictates withholding taxes.