Cowboys franchise tagging DeMarcus Lawrence

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Of course it’s his right. It’s also the team’s right to move on, especially if the contract of one player keeps them from acquiring other pieces to properly complete their team.

When’s the deadline again?
Like with Dez. Sometime and July. I don't think they will trade him.

ESisback

Reaction score
For safeties I would take literally any proven free agent over Heath (Tre Boston, Earl Thomas, Collins, Amos, Joyner, Clinton-Dix, Mathieu). Even older vets like Mike Mitchell would wipe for the floor with Heath and give you a nice 2 or 3 window to draft someone younger.

DT I would like Richardson or Henry Anderson if they go cheaper on safety (both would be huge upgrades but will command decent salaries). If they go all in on safety then I would eyeball Wilkerson, Malcom Brown and Danny Shelton (all 3 would be significant upgrades).

Christian Covington is for sure the biggest upside due to his age and consistency, I would 100% offer him a deal and make him a starter (he's the type of guy will mcclay likes, upside and immediate value).

You could have enough to sign two of the DT's listed and still have enough to get a run defender upgrade like Hankins or Margus Hunt (both won't command much)

Sounds like just about anyone would be an upgrade. How did we ever win the NFCE 2 out of 3 years with such a clueless FO?

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
For safeties I would take literally any proven free agent over Heath (Tre Boston, Earl Thomas, Collins, Amos, Joyner, Clinton-Dix, Mathieu). Even older vets like Mike Mitchell would wipe for the floor with Heath and give you a nice 2 or 3 window to draft someone younger.

DT I would like Richardson or Henry Anderson if they go cheaper on safety (both would be huge upgrades but will command decent salaries). If they go all in on safety then I would eyeball Wilkerson, Malcom Brown and Danny Shelton (all 3 would be significant upgrades).

Christian Covington is for sure the biggest upside due to his age and consistency, I would 100% offer him a deal and make him a starter (he's the type of guy will mcclay likes, upside and immediate value).

You could have enough to sign two of the DT's listed and still have enough to get a run defender upgrade like Hankins or Margus Hunt (both won't command much)

Finally, someone who gets it!

Tussinman

Reaction score
Sounds like just about anyone would be an upgrade. How did we ever win the NFCE 2 out of 3 years with such a clueless FO?
Every team (even the goods ones) have a weak position or two that they want to upgrade.

Luckily two of the positions the cowboys are weak in they can upgrade within both there budget and draft

ESisback

Reaction score
Like with Dez. Sometime and July. I don't think they will trade him.
So we can look forward to fussing over this for the next four months? Egads! I thought someone mentioned a deadline of some sort in March.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol so Stephen is being cheap and Monday Dlaw is asking for too much? You've done made up your mind. Lol
Does anyone have a clue what is being offered vs what he's asking for?

If the two sides are really far apart, get him on the trade block now before the FA's hit the bricks. Find out now what he might bring and if it's not enough, then it's time for further negotiation and if that doesn't work, keep the tag for another year and take the chance he's a no show.

The problem with getting a 1st for him is the depth on the DL in this draft and there are some decent guys coming out in FA.

John813

Reaction score
So we can look forward to fussing over this for the next four months? Egads! I thought someone mentioned a deadline of some sort in March.

The deadline was to apply the franchise tag, today.

Now teams got until July 15th to agree on a long term deal or wait until the following offseason to agree on a deal(if the player signs the fT)

Little Jr

Reaction score
Does anyone have a clue what is being offered vs what he's asking for?

If the two sides are really far apart, get him on the trade block now before the FA's hit the bricks. Find out now what he might bring and if it's not enough, then it's time for further negotiation and if that doesn't work, keep the tag for another year and take the chance he's a no show.

The problem with getting a 1st for him is the depth on the DL in this draft and there are some decent guys coming out in FA.
No one knows, that's my point. We can't say that the cowboys are being cheap but we can't say Dlaw is asking for too much .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Today was the tag deadline and FA starts next week. This could drag out because players don't like to show up for OTA's and he can miss part of camp like Bryant did.

I have seen this "hold out" he's threatened but I have not see that from him. Missing out on 20M for one year would be one hell of a hold out.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Khalil Mack - 6 years, $141 million, $90 million guaranteed
Von Miller - 6 years, $114 million, $70 million guaranteed

So Lawrence is expecting something like 6 years, $120 million, $80 million guaranteed.

Word is, the Cowboys aren't offering anything close to that.
I hear you.

My question is what is fair, as in what is he really worth?

I don't think anyone in the league would say he is as good as Miller (when he signed) or Mack.

Just because they got paid franchise busting contracts, does that mean it is right to pay Lawrence in that same ballpark?

Not saying we won't do that (the cap is higher now) but just asking.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
That was to put the tag on the player. If the weed boys could have stayed clean and Taco was not soft. I think we would have let Tank go.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/24...t-on-Cowboys-DeMarcus-Lawrence-129057742/Amp/

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Who do you like on the list ?
Those salaries combined will be much higher than the 21-22 DLaw is going to get and they all have question marks. Plus you’re getting rid of the defensive locker room leader and team leader again for 2 birds in the bush. Are you Jerry 20 years ago?

erod

Reaction score
I hear you.

My question is what is fair, as in what is he really worth?

I don't think anyone in the league would say he is as good as Miller (when he signed) or Mack.

Just because they got paid franchise busting contracts, does that mean it is right to pay Lawrence in that same ballpark?

Not saying we won't do that (the cap is higher now) but just asking.

Hence the franchise tag. The Cowboys don't believe he's worth that.

Now, he's threatening to delay his shoulder surgery until May. Perhaps to undermine a potential trade?

This gonna get ugly.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Those salaries combined will be much higher than the 21-22 DLaw is going to get and they all have question marks. Plus you’re getting rid of the defensive locker room leader and team leader again for 2 birds in the bush. Are you Jerry 20 years ago?
Get his garbage out of here. All have questions marks ? You have a freaking DE who peaked in 2017 and is refusing to get major surgery done on his shoulder and you have the audacity to whine about question marks ?

You can get 3 of the players I listed for D-Laws 21-24 million dollar salary, I even broke it down (Richardson or Henry with a tier 2 DT if they go cheaper on safety, higher-end on safety and there looking at 2x tier 2 DT's with the possibility of a top 40 draft pick).

Either way the team is going to improve with the money. That's my point, the team will be better regardless of what happens (you either keep a rare highend DE or you upgrade 3 different positions on your roster). You add Travis Frederick coming back + Conor Williams putting on some size and 2019 is looking good even with the tougher schedule

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Get his garbage out of here. All have questions marks ? You have a freaking DE who peaked in 2017 and is refusing to get major surgery done on his shoulder and you have the audacity to whine about question marks ?

You can get 3 of the players I listed for D-Laws 21-24 million dollar salary, I even broke it down (Richardson or Henry with a tier 2 DT if they go cheaper on safety, higher-end on safety and there looking at 2x tier 2 DT's with the possibility of a top 40 draft pick).

Either way the team is going to improve with the money. That's my point, the team will be better regardless of what happens (you either keep a rare highend DE or you upgrade 3 different positions on your roster). You add Travis Frederick coming back + Conor Williams putting on some size and 2019 is looking good even with the tougher schedule
Who says Dlaw peaked in 2017? You? :lmao2: He played injured last year and was still a force. Naive fans like yourself focus on just the sacks and ignore the running game. And I also find it telling you ignored my point about what he brings to the table leadership wise.