Cowboys franchise tagging DeMarcus Lawrence

LittleD

Reaction score
This is all about the guaranteed money. Dallas could give him a 5yr deal for 150mil but, the only thing that matters
is how much guaranteed money is being asked for and offered by the FO. Stephen does not like dead money one bit.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This is all about the guaranteed money. Dallas could give him a 5yr deal for 150mil but, the only thing that matters
is how much guaranteed money is being asked for and offered by the FO. Stephen does not like dead money one bit.
The CBA ends after 2020 and that is throwing a monkey wrench into these big deals

Teams don't want a lot of guaranteed money tied up after 2020 and can't backload contracts because of the 30% Rule for contracts that extend past the CBA

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Good grief, just let the clock tick down... not a single one of us tapping out our thoughts here know's what's taking place behind the scenes....let the dog hunt good lord.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lawrence hasn't signed it, he is not under contract.

They were worried that Foles would have.

You're forgetting that a player has to actually sign the tender.

Exclusive right tags cannot negotiate with other teams whether he has signed his tag or not.

Non exclusive rights tags can negotiate with other teams and if that player signs an offer sheet from another team, his original team has the right to match the offer. If they don't match the offer, then they get two first round picks.

I haven't paid attention so I am not sure which tag we are using on Lawrence.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Or trade him.
That a option. Or tag him like they did and try to get something worked out in the next 4.5 months. If they can't, let him play on the tag. He'll probably throw a temper tantrum but that's ok. I can't see him holding out but if he does it won't be more than 2 games.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Article 10 of the CBA
(v) For Transition Players and Franchise Players, the tender will be included in Team Salary when made until the player is signed, the Tender is withdrawn, the Team’s rights are relinquished, or the Tuesday following the tenth game of the regular season (if the player is unsigned).

glimmerman

Reaction score
Any news or tweets from him yet.. Wondering if he will come out and say I told y’all I am not playing under the tag. If he is smart then he will stay silent and continue to try to work it out till July. And I would have my shoulder fixed yesterday. If this don’t happen for him here then he will want to be healthy for another team.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
O-linemen also protect the qb. Antonio Ramiro knows full well. And fournette, Gurley, bell saquon and zeke suggest opinions regarding rb's are changing.

Bell? The guy they refused to sign and Conner stepped in and replaced his production? Fournette? The guy that cant stay healthy? I bet they want that pick back. Gurley? The guy they paid 14 million a year to and was replaced in production by CJ Anderson down the stretch in favor of Gurley? Sequan I am not sure you will get much of an argument out of me. That guy is Barry Sanders #2. Zeke I love, but still wouldn't take him over Ramsey.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Exclusive right tags cannot negotiate with other teams whether he has signed his tag or not.

Non exclusive rights tags can negotiate with other teams and if that player signs an offer sheet from another team, his original team has the right to match the offer. If they don't match the offer, then they get two first round picks.

I haven't paid attention so I am not sure which tag we are using on Lawrence.
Non-exclusive. The exclusive tag is almost never used.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Fans wanting to trade or not sign Lawerence have serious critical thinking issues.
This is narrow minded. It's not that they want to trade/not sign him it's if the situation is not good (too high of money) then it might be best to let him walk.

I think it's a win win. Sign him and you have a rare elite DE locked up to a long term deal in his prime.

Don't sign him and it will give you enough money to upgrade both DT spots, sign Earl Thomas, and possibly get a top 30/40 pick.

There is not "critical thinking issues". Both scenarios will benefit the team............

cern

Reaction score
Bell? The guy they refused to sign and Conner stepped in and replaced his production? Fournette? The guy that cant stay healthy? I bet they want that pick back. Gurley? The guy they paid 14 million a year to and was replaced in production by CJ Anderson down the stretch in favor of Gurley? Sequan I am not sure you will get much of an argument out of me. That guy is Barry Sanders #2. Zeke I love, but still wouldn't take him over Ramsey.
I said opinions regarding rb's are changing. but as you correctly stated, even those drafted at the top of their class don't always work out. bell produced, but wanted too much money. fournette has a problem. not worth the pick. gurley, foolishly played with injury and is now paying the price. zeke and saquon are tops.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Doesn't count against the top 51 until July 15.
The Estimated Costs

It is important to note that as soon as a player is designated a Franchise or Transition player the cost immediately is included in a team’s Top 51 salary cap calculation and it is not dependent on a player actually signing the contract. So teams that use the tag must have enough space when the new League Year begins on March 11 to carry the full Franchise salary.

Per Albert Breer the NFL is running with the early estimates on the franchise tag as follows:

https://overthecap.com/brief-overview-nfl-franchise-tag/

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Story out on BTB that Tank was insulted by our initial “honest offer”

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That a option. Or tag him like they did and try to get something worked out in the next 4.5 months. If they can't, let him play on the tag. He'll probably throw a temper tantrum but that's ok. I can't see him holding out but if he does it won't be more than 2 games.
Upsetting one of your best players on your team isn’t “ok”. I’m sure ultimately this will all get resolved but they are starting to handle players like property. They willfully handed guys like Romo, Dez, Miles, Barber some money when it wa there turn. They are being stingy about their money and why? They don’t spend in free agency...what are these savings for?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The Estimated Costs

It is important to note that as soon as a player is designated a Franchise or Transition player the cost immediately is included in a team’s Top 51 salary cap calculation and it is not dependent on a player actually signing the contract. So teams that use the tag must have enough space when the new League Year begins on March 11 to carry the full Franchise salary.

Per Albert Breer the NFL is running with the early estimates on the franchise tag as follows:

https://overthecap.com/brief-overview-nfl-franchise-tag/
Yea u right. I was thinking actual payments.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This is narrow minded. It's not that they want to trade/not sign him it's if the situation is not good (too high of money) then it might be best to let him walk.

I think it's a win win. Sign him and you have a rare elite DE locked up to a long term deal in his prime.

Don't sign him and it will give you enough money to upgrade both DT spots, sign Earl Thomas, and possibly get a top 30/40 pick.

There is not "critical thinking issues". Both scenarios will benefit the team............
Now this is narrow minded. You can’t go out and just sign those positions you mentioned a get elite players. They’ve been trying to find a pass rusher for years and now that we have one you’re ok with letting him walk? Crazy.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Upsetting one of your best players on your team isn’t “ok”. I’m sure ultimately this will all get resolved but they are starting to handle players like property. They willfully handed guys like Romo, Dez, Miles, Barber some money when it wa there turn. They are being stingy about their money and why? They don’t spend in free agency...what are these savings for?
Lol so instead of upsetting him, pay him what he's asking for? I have no clue what he's asking for and that's kind of my point. Without knowing what the offer was or what he wants, it's hard to say they are being cheap or his asking price is too much.

They willfully handed Romo a contract because he's a QB . Fair or not it's just the way it is. Plus he was far more important than Dlaw.

Dez was tagged and later they worked out a contract . That was a dumb contract and is why they should be more careful about giving out big contracts.

Miles and barber contracts were dumb and like Dez, I'm sure they think about those contracts before they start giving out top $ to guys like Dlaw.