Cowboys franchise tagging DeMarcus Lawrence

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You just contradicted yourself.

In a free market, you get what someone is willing to pay. 20 mil is a big payday. Do you have to take classes to not understand money this badly?
Yeah I don't understand money. I would rather have 80 million guaranteed instead of a 20 million for 1 year. Duh.....

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He’s made over 20 million dollars.

If he plays under the tag this year, he’ll have banked 40 million dollars....

I wish somebody would screw me like that....
You would feel better if you got screwed for 80 million guaranteed. That is what DLaw would get on the open market.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I'll take Robert Quinn and Olivier Vernon for $16,000,000 combined annually for 2-3 years. That's if they get released like they're rumored to be of course.

Neither have to go do surgery and aren't much older. We'll have both ends settled.

Lose Lawrence and Beasley. Cut Crawford if he doesn't take a pay cut. We may still get a 4th round compensatory pick next year.

Sean Lee gets $3.5 million instead of 7.

We sign Thomas or Collins and still have the majority off our cap room without any re-structures.

Then we pick up a talented vet like Richardson and draft a DT or DE in this loaded draft with our 1st pick.

Get Jace Sternberger the Texas A&M TE in the 3rd and tell me how we're not solid top to bottom and able to sign all of our own other than Lawrence who got too greedy?

Last edited:
Reactions: CWR

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I thought Stephen bargain barreled his way through FA the last few years because building through the draft and paying developed talent was the way to go? Franchising a guy two years straight doesn't seem to reflect that method too well. I get the negotiating tactics and crap but sometimes when you just need to do what you say you'll be doing. There's been no problem talking about their willingness and eagerness to pay other players so why now? If I were DLaw that wouldn't sit right with me.

Now as far as DLaw I'm sure he wants them to be all in on him and his contract and I get it. But what I don't get is postponing the surgery until he gets signed. Should've been done earlier so he could participate in as much of the off-season work as possible. He just got done gambling for the long term deal by playing under the tag so go get it fixed and show you're just as motivated to play up to the contract as you are to sign it. That doesn't sit right with me either.

birdwells1

Reaction score
The owners and the fans think alike, sign good players on team friendly contracts so that we're able to field the best team possible. You know who doesn't think that, the players. I'm not surprised that most of the comments here are downing Lawrence but all you have to do is put yourself in his shoes and think about the deal with the you'd take. Stop being hypocrites this thing will work itself out, many teams are going through this.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
In recent weeks, it's a shame Lawrence didn't know enough to keep his mouth shut but instead, chose to spew negative intentions for public consumption. It sets a poor stage for mutual cooperation whenever contract talks begin. Either his agent didn't emphasize the need to behave beforehand, or else Lawrence simply didn't adhere to the advice he was given when the time came do so. As things now stand, it promises to be a nasty process.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWR

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The owners and the fans think alike, sign good players on team friendly contracts so that we're able to field the best team possible. You know who doesn't think that, the players. I'm not surprised that most of the comments here are downing Lawrence but all you have to do is put yourself in his shoes and think about the deal with the you'd take. Stop being hypocrites this thing will work itself out, many teams are going through this.

Lawrence needs to do what he thinks is right. He is asking for a certain amount, which I believe the Cowboys don't see as being appropriate or overpaying for his services. If he is asking for Aaron Donald type money then yea, it's absurd seeing as to how Lawrence isn't anywhere near the force that Aaron Donald is on defense. Personally I'd like them to do a deal, keep him for a year or two then trade him.

ESisback

Reaction score
20 million vs 80 million what would you rather have? While Jerrah gets a new yacht. Tank gets a bad back and torn rotator cuff for his trouble.

I’d rather have 80, but if it was 20 million winning Super Bowls for America’s Team or a Joe Job eating doo doo for peanuts, guess what my choice would be? I believe I could make the noble sacrifice.

Show me the plantation that pays 20 million to play football for a year getting treated like a celebrity, and I’ll move there.

ESisback

Reaction score
20 million vs 80 million what would you rather have? While Jerrah gets a new yacht. Tank gets a bad back and torn rotator cuff for his trouble.

Show me someone who doesn’t have a boss that’s better off financially.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
No.... it counts March 13th..... the start of the League year
Falso, amigo.

He's not technically under contract until July 15th. He's an exclusive rights FA under the tag, so he doesn't count against the team's cap.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Lawrence needs to do what he thinks is right. He is asking for a certain amount, which I believe the Cowboys don't see as being appropriate or overpaying for his services. If he is asking for Aaron Donald type money then yea, it's absurd seeing as to how Lawrence isn't anywhere near the force that Aaron Donald is on defense. Personally I'd like them to do a deal, keep him for a year or two then trade him.
The moment he signs the FT that is 37.6m over two years guaranteed.... that is generational money

And he is still a FA in 2020..... pretty good deal if you ask me

No one is getting much more than that over 2 years and is still a FA with another payday coming

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Falso, amigo.

He's not technically under contract until July 15th. He's an exclusive rights FA under the tag, so he doesn't count against the team's cap.
Look it up bro

Team has to set aside the money when they place the Tag

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Look it up bro

Team has to set aside the money when they place the Tag
No they don't. It has to be set aside by July 15.

A tagged player can negotiate with other teams, because they are a free agent. They aren't under contract, especially if the player hasn't signed it, so they don't count against the cap.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
No they don't. It has to be set aside by July 15.

A tagged player can negotiate with other teams, they aren't under contract.
You got it all wrong

It is a contract tender and has to be accounted for at all times.... it only goes away if the team rescinds the offer before he signs it or they complete a trade

This is why the Eagles didn't FT Foles..... they didn't want to cut guys to find the 20m in cap space... if they had a free ride until July they would have kept him 100%

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You got it all wrong

It is a contract tender and has to be accounted for at all times.... it only goes away if the team rescinds the offer before he signs it or they complete a trade

This is why the Eagles didn't FT Foles..... they didn't want to cut guys to find the 20m in cap space... if they had a free ride until July they would have kept him 100%
Lawrence hasn't signed it, he is not under contract.

They were worried that Foles would have.

You're forgetting that a player has to actually sign the tender.