Cowboys got lucky by not drafting Paxton Lynch

TwentyOne

Reaction score
What on earth could make you think that? Do you think McClay actually makes any final decisions?

I dont think the joneses do the final decission. They finally accepted that they dont have the konwledge to do so. And thats the big difference.

I do think the final decission is made by comittee and not by one person. Like it should be in a successful organisation.

JustChip

Reaction score
There has to be one guy in the organization that was against drafting him.
How awesome would it be if that guy walks around the building... “ hey remember when you guys wanted Lynch?” Lmao
Yep. Like the NE scout that pounded the table for Brady, "hey, remember when you wanted to draft Mr. Irrelevant?"

Batman1980

Reaction score
Yep. Like the NE scout that pounded the table for Brady, "hey, remember when you wanted to draft Mr. Irrelevant?"

Isn't Mr. Irrelevant the final pick in the draft that gets a parade with the #1 overall pick? Brady wasn't the last pick.

JustChip

Reaction score
We tried to trade up multiple times before picking dak. We tried trading up for lynch connor cook and I believe someone else

Crazy how it all works out.
The crazy thing is, based a lot of posts I've read since I joined CZ, there are probably some folks (who shall remain nameless) on here that would still rather have Lynch or Cook than Dak.:facepalm:

JustChip

Reaction score
Isn't Mr. Irrelevant the final pick in the draft that gets a parade with the #1 overall pick? Brady wasn't the last pick.
Yep. I was just using that player as an example since I have no idea any other player specifically NE was considering there. Could've been who ultimately became Mr. Irrelevant. I do know, or at least heard a report, that there was one NE scout that was really pounding the table for Brady.

Batman1980

Reaction score
The crazy thing is, based a lot of posts I've read since I joined CZ, there are probably some folks (who shall remain nameless) on here that would still rather have Lynch or Cook than Dak.:facepalm:

Dude you know there's a good chance Cook is never going to be a starter in the NFL, right? As much as Dak is flawed, 22-10 is already far better than Cook will probably ever be.

JustChip

Reaction score
Dude you know there's a good chance Cook is never going to be a starter in the NFL, right? As much as Dak is flawed, 22-10 is already far better than Cook will probably ever be.
Absolutely. I'm using him just to point out the incredulous positions some people take on Dak. Hyperbole as it were.

nobody

Reaction score
Remind people of this the next time they complain that Dak isn't playing as well as Romo would have.

They play different styles and that makes it tougher to compare. When Dak gets a little more experience, it'll work out just fine assuming Linehan actually does a good job play-calling until Dak can take over that aspect. I really wish Jerry had offered Romo a ton of cash to QB coach Dak though. I don't think anyone could have taught Dak to read the field better.

JustChip

Reaction score
I dont think the joneses do the final decission. They finally accepted that they dont have the konwledge to do so. And thats the big difference.

I do think the final decission is made by comittee and not by one person. Like it should be in a successful organisation.
I hope it's not a committee decision. Yes, there needs to be a round-table of discussion, but I would hope when the discussion is through there is one person that weighs the arguments and makes a decision.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Reminds me of how stunned I was when Tim Tebow went in the 1st round. He had raw project that would eventually become an h-back or a receiving TE written all over him.

Batman1980

Reaction score
They play different styles and that makes it tougher to compare. When Dak gets a little more experience, it'll work out just fine assuming Linehan actually does a good job play-calling until Dak can take over that aspect. I really wish Jerry had offered Romo a ton of cash to QB coach Dak though. I don't think anyone could have taught Dak to read the field better.

This is a very important season for Dak's future but I would also argue for Linehan. Linehan is probably on the hot seat and I imagine if we miss the play-offs with the offensive talent we have, he'll get fired like he should've been after the second half of 2017.

JustChip

Reaction score
I’m not sure how much effort we made in pursuing Lynch? We defintely expressed some interest but we didn’t step up to offer the picks necessary to move up to be a serious consideration.

My take is Jerry feeling the pressure of drafting Romo’s heir apparent wanting to portray a perception he was actively pursuing flirted with Lynch as a consideration.

We had several opportunities to draft a QB higher than 4th round if we were serious about drafting Romo’s future replacement but I don’t believe Jerry was looking for it.

I still think Jerry was all in on Romo and didn’t want to put any additional pressure on making that decision by using a high draft pick. Basically Jerry didn’t want to bring Romo’s replacement until Romo was officially done not wanting a QB controversy.

If you recall Jerry’s comments when all the rumors were swirling around Manziel , he strongly dismissed on draft day morning we weren’t looking for Romo’s heir apparent.

Hmm. Thought provoking - makes sense.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I hope it's not a committee decision. Yes, there needs to be a round-table of discussion, but I would hope when the discussion is through there is one person that weighs the arguments and makes a decision.

Well maybe we mean the same.as long as there is someone who doenst think his opinion is worth more then others kowledge.

In the years before JJ has had the thinking like that. When SJ realized they have now clue things changed.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a very important season for Dak's future but I would also argue for Linehan. Linehan is probably on the hot seat and I imagine if we miss the play-offs with the offensive talent we have, he'll get fired like he should've been after the second half of 2017.
If we miss the Play Offs JG needs to go with him