Cowboys having positive talks with Prescott/France on deal

Buzzbait

Reaction score
You guys say outlandish stuff on here and I can’t tell if you guys are just out of touch with reality or just trying to rile people up.
No, not trying to rile people up, I just think $55 to $60 million for something considerably less than a Mahomes caliber QB is outlandish.
I mean when and where does it stop? If you want to eliminate the salary cap then OK, spend whatever you want. But when you limit the team's salary cap but no limit whatsoever on how much of that can be spent on just the QB, that's when 55-60 million freaking dollars becomes outlandish. The statement isn't outlandish, the salary is.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Issue is culture. When your whole team comes into a game unprepared against an inferior team and lose nearly by 30-40 points? Sure we can say the players are chokers….they weren’t chokers before they got here.

We can say the coaches suck. Well Quinn and McCarthy both are championship winning coaches. The issue is there but it’s easier for fans to blame the players and coaches because you guys want hope and you know Jerry isn’t going anywhere.
Totally agree that there's a cultural issue, which ironically has come to a climax with this specific scenario and the prelude (2021 contract). Jerry has shot himself in the foot by continually 'paying his own' and France is taking on what he's paid to do, get the best for his client.

Jerry's inflexible and flash, just paying overblown contracts (to the big stars) behind this impossible scenario of trying to compete EVERY year and Stephen is (example one Randy Gregory contract .....out of his depth).

France know's Jerry will capitulate....because that's what Jerry does. But as a Cowboys fan, i'm actually hoping that Dak/Frances demands include we employ a professional GM (in exchange for career ending contract), to guarantee that we'd use the early 'cheaper' years in a more concentrated way.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If we were strapped by a 40M contract, imagine a 52-55M contract. Dak's lucky he's dealing with Jerry. I didn't like the 40M, let alone 52 -55M.
If you think there's any possibility that Dak's agent is likely to settle for a 40 mil contract, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona for you. I'm thinking Jerry & Son would be quite relieved to cater to the likes of a 52-55 mil proposal. The prospect of a $60 mil deal has their knees knocking. We'll see what they're likely to settle for, though. It'll be their call, not mine.

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
In terms of the market given that whilst a few years older, Cousins got $45 million a year with extremely similar individual stats to Prescott and Goff, an NFC Champion and a QB who played in a Superbowl with better playoff success and performances on the whole than Prescott, received circa $53 million a year a few months back then the right offer for Prescott given his age/years in the league and playoff success would be in the $50-$53 million a year range over 4 years.

Tua, Lawrence, Love etc are all on their first big contract. Different stages of their careers to Prescott.

I would move on as whilst I appreciate it's a team game, 8 years with 2 play off wins including 2 losses against the 49ers with in my view Superbowl calibre rosters just isn't good enough. The defense restricted the 49ers to 19 and 23 points respectively - Prescott was given enough drives and opportunities to win both games and he simply couldn't get it done. It only required a few plays from him. Even his biggest fans must acknowledge that he should have produced a bit more to win at least one of those games.

No hate just the % call that Prescott has had enough chances and it's time to move on with a new quarterback and fresh approach.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, not trying to rile people up, I just think $55 to $60 million for something considerably less than a Mahomes caliber QB is outlandish.
I mean when and where does it stop? If you want to eliminate the salary cap then OK, spend whatever you want. But when you limit the team's salary cap but no limit whatsoever on how much of that can be spent on just the QB, that's when 55-60 million freaking dollars becomes outlandish. The statement isn't outlandish, the salary is.
Not wanting to pay 52 million is one thing. Thinking we were cash strapped because of his 40 million dollar salary when his cap hits were 18-22 million a year is what is confusing me. We were never cash strapped by Daks salary until now and the only reason we are now is because of the lack of extension he should’ve got before now. We can’t let this team off the hook because Philly has no issue building around Hurts.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Too many of you associate losing a game with the lack of leadership. It’s not like Dak is a leader during the regular season and he’s not during the playoffs. There’s a problem with the “team” during the playoffs. No one steps up. It has nothing to do with his leadership.
That's where you're wrong my friend, dead wrong. I don't think you understand the true meaning of leadership and how it affects the people around you.

Proof

Reaction score
Not sure why some think keeping him will win us one.

Here's the bottom line - if you don't think Dak will win us a SB then it would be foolish to sign him to another contract for any price.

If you do think Dak will win us a SB then you are literally thinking you can beat 99% odds against you. Might as well plan to win the lottery for your retirement fund.
99pct odds? care to expound?

Proof

Reaction score
And you admit that's all you care about:
Not the Cowboys; just Dak.
You're not a fan of the Cowboys. If per chance he ends up somewhere else, you'll be there lying to the fans and spreading your pro-Dak propaganda there.
I'm a cowboys fan, and ambivalent on dak's future, but also would love to laugh at you moving forward.

Proof

Reaction score
1. MVP is a regular season award.

2. Dak got the 2nd most overall votes, almost doubling Josh Allen's total. He tied for the number of 2nd place votes and got more 3rd place votes than McCaffery.

If there's anything else you dont understand, just Google or simply ask.

lol, doing gods work. falling on deaf ears though.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Reminder for the very slow people on the board.
Dallas best option is to sign Dak long term at 55M + AAV but without a no trade clause in the new deal.
They could then play out a season or so and trade him if they wanted to rebuild.
Even if viewed as wildly overpaid it would be fairly easy to garner more than future R3 for him.
Nope, take the hit this year- don't compound the error of giving him more money. If you really want to rebuild just cut him now and tank this year and start over - all ends in the same place with no Super Bowl this year either way!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's where you're wrong my friend, dead wrong. I don't think you understand the true meaning of leadership and how it affects the people around you.
No one in the media or anyone who plays the game has ever questioned Dak’s leadership. That’s one of his strongest attributes as a player. You’re the one who doesn’t understand the true meaning. Only Roger Staubach had a higher winning percentage than Dak. The struggles we’ve had in the playoffs, especially defensively have nothing to do with Dak’s leadership. If you want to believe it does then go ahead. Troy Aikman was 0-2 in the playoffs his final few seasons. Was that because he was no longer a great leader?

Dan Marino was 8-10 in the playoffs and never won a Super Bowl. Was that because he lacked leadership? Warren Moon was 3-7 in the playoffs and never won a Super Bowl. Was that because he lacked leadership? Dan Fouts was 3-4 in the playoffs and never won a Super Bowl. Was that because he lacked leadership? I just listed three Hall of Fame QBs that had losing playoff records and never won a championship and you believe it’s because they lacked leadership?

leeblair

Reaction score
I'm a cowboys fan, and ambivalent on dak's future, but also would love to laugh at you moving forward.
I've been laughed at a lot. During the Garrett years a certain group constantly laughed at me for saying Garrett was a wasted spot on the sidelines.
I was right.
A certain group laughed because I said Marion Barber Jr was not as good as he was paid to be.
I was right.
And a certain group continues to hate and laugh at me because I have said Dak is not elite.
They hate that I am proven right every season.
So, laugh if you want to; I've been right EVERY time. I don't want to suffer because of the ignorance that kept Garrett as head coach, Barber at running back, and Dak choking away at quarterback, but I have been forced to endure these idiocies.
I want the Cowboys to return to being the franchise I once loved, but with ignorance abounding, it looks as if they never will.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If Dak is re-signed off of a deal with a no-trade clause, why would he accept one with no no-trade clause? Hes not negotiating a downgrade; It will almost certainly have one as well.

Additionally, in the unlikely event he doesn’t have one, he will never sign a deal with no guaranteed money. So once the deal is signed, trading him in 2025 will cost the Cowboys something north of 100m$ on the cap
This, FA is looming what pressure does Dak have to cave?

Brooksey

Reaction score
No one in the media or anyone who plays the game has ever questioned Dak’s leadership. That’s one of his strongest attributes as a player. You’re the one who doesn’t understand the true meaning. Only Roger Staubach had a higher winning percentage than Dak. The struggles we’ve had in the playoffs, especially defensively have nothing to do with Dak’s leadership. If you want to believe it does then go ahead. Troy Aikman was 0-2 in the playoffs his final few seasons. Was that because he was no longer a great leader?

Dan Marino was 8-10 in the playoffs and never won a Super Bowl. Was that because he lacked leadership? Warren Moon was 3-7 in the playoffs and never won a Super Bowl. Was that because he lacked leadership? Dan Fouts was 3-4 in the playoffs and never won a Super Bowl. Was that because he lacked leadership? I just listed three Hall of Fame QBs that had losing playoff records and never won a championship and you believe it’s because they lacked leadership?
Once again I never said Dak lacked leadership overall, it's his strongest attribute against the Giants and Commanders.
It's also his biggest weakness in the playoffs. In the post season, Dak consistently put our defense in terrible positions with three and outs and interceptions deep in our own territory.

If he was a true leader of men, he would light SF up for a series and our defense would be playing like a bunch of crazed dogs. Instead they sit on their heels exhausted and demoralized by our supposed leader.... Dak the hack.

Let me know if you want the play by play against GB and SF in the three most recent playoff games, I'll be happy to show you.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Once again I never said Dak lacked leadership overall, it's his strongest attribute against the Giants and Commanders.
It's also his biggest weakness in the playoffs. In the post season, Dak consistently put our defense in terrible positions with three and outs and interceptions deep in our own territory.

If he was a true leader of men, he would light SF up for a series and our defense would be playing like a bunch of crazed dogs. Instead they sit on their heels exhausted and demoralized by our supposed leader.... Dak the hack.

Let me know if you want the play by play against GB and SF in the three most recent playoff games, I'll be happy to show you.
You’re still confusing his performance from game to game with leadership. :rolleyes: In your first post, you said he lacks leadership in the playoffs because his playoff record isn’t good. Losing a game doesn’t mean a QB lacked leadership that day. So I guess Patrick Mahomes lacked leadership in the blowout loss to Tampa in the Super Bowl a few years ago? I listed three Hall of Fame QBs that had playoff struggles and it wasn’t because they lacked leadership in the playoffs. If you’re just looking to bash Dak go find someone else.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
If you think there's any possibility that Dak's agent is likely to settle for a 40 mil contract, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona for you. I'm thinking Jerry & Son would be quite relieved to cater to the likes of a 52-55 mil proposal. The prospect of a $60 mil deal has their knees knocking. We'll see what they're likely to settle for, though. It'll be their call, not mine.
Oh I agree with you 100% Bullflop, and I'm certainly no Dak hater, never have been, but I wasn't happy about the 40M contract and now with the prospect of the team absorbing a 50 some $M contract or more, I guess I just suspect we'll see a similar return on investment that the 40M produced, 10 or 12 wins and a flatline in the post season.