Cowboys having positive talks with Prescott/France on deal

bandfan

Reaction score
Not sure why some think keeping him will win us one.

Here's the bottom line - if you don't think Dak will win us a SB then it would be foolish to sign him to another contract for any price.

If you do think Dak will win us a SB then you are literally thinking you can beat 99% odds against you. Might as well plan to win the lottery for your retirement fund.
Here is what I think... there is not a QB in this league(NO ONE) who can win or lose ANY game by themselves. And anyone who thinks they can probably wastes too much money on lottery tickets.

Qcard

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out someone is a Dak fan. Dak is a Dallas Cowboys player. Last I checked, people cheer and support the players on their favorite team.

I'm not saying YOU do this.... but the weirdest, most stupid, dumb thing I've ever seen was people claiming to be a fan of the Cowboys, yet cheer against its own players or some weird **** like that .

Who the **** does that? I've only seen that done here. The behavior of idiots still amazes me.
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Here is what I think... there is not a QB in this league(NO ONE) who can win or lose ANY game by themselves. And anyone who thinks they can probably wastes too much money on lottery tickets.
Not about winning by one's self, but leading. Pulling a rabbit out of a hat when adversity hits. Dak crumbles under pressure that's what most of us are fed up with.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phone conversation recording

Stephen: Hello Dak, is France still your agent?

Dak: Yes

(Wow! Thats a positive reply)

(Cowboys having “positive conversations” with Dak
Maybe Stephen wanted a "yes" response to use in an AI generated agreement. That he can use to say ... This is Dak, YES, I waive my no trade clause. :muttley:

Hardline

Reaction score
You honestly think Dak doesn’t have value? :rolleyes:Teams will be lining up to sign him. He won’t last 24 hours in free agency before he’s made the highest paid QB in the league.
I wish all those teams lining up actually had the chance to do it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If Dak is re-signed off of a deal with a no-trade clause, why would he accept one with no no-trade clause? Hes not negotiating a downgrade; It will almost certainly have one as well.

Additionally, in the unlikely event he doesn’t have one, he will never sign a deal with no guaranteed money. So once the deal is signed, trading him in 2025 will cost the Cowboys something north of 100m$ on the cap
The deal will be made however they make it.
If Dak wants the 55+M per year he may concede the no trade. Going from 40M APY to 58M APY is definitely not a downgrade.

Dak's first 3 base years will be GTD for sure.
But you don't pay them until he plays them which means it doesn't cost you the full GTD to trade him. The new team would pick up those guarantees.
His Signing bonus if split amongst 4-5 years will be eaten at the time of trade.

Not sure why I am explaining this to an Eagles fan who saw Wentz EASILY traded on a massive (at the time) deal.

Dallas is undoubtedly going to take a large dead money cap hit ot trade Prescott.
They will do the same if he simply walks for free.

But it does need to be any massive 100M dead money hit.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
You honestly think Dak doesn’t have value? :rolleyes:Teams will be lining up to sign him. He won’t last 24 hours in free agency before he’s made the highest paid QB in the league.
That would be a nice thing to see.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It’s easy for fans or anyone else to say they could’ve been signed earlier. Not sure what player you’re referring to as to who doesn’t care about playoff wins. If you’re talking about Dak why do you think he doesn’t care about playoff wins? He’s being judged by them and he’s clearly bothered by his playoff record.
Prescott has all the money he will ever need already. At least part of him has to be concerned about his on the field legacy, and you have to wonder at times if he doesn’t think about moving on to a team whose FO has more qualified personnel, and/or actually appears to be trying to improve the roster instead of blaming your own salary as to why they can’t. They spend the off-season worried about marketing ahead of football then turn around and blame you when you couldn’t carry the team on your own.

Think about all that for minute and put yourself in his spot. Folks tend to assume he wants to return to Dallas no matter what and I’m not so sure that’s the case, and could be part of why he has not signed as of yet.

He is in the perfect spot to keep his options open and finally stop having to take nearly every bit of the blame for Dallas’ failures, and Stephens ‘draft only’ plan and ‘out of cap space’ cries.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Reminder for the very slow people on the board.
Dallas best option is to sign Dak long term at 55M + AAV but without a no trade clause in the new deal.
They could then play out a season or so and trade him if they wanted to rebuild.
Even if viewed as wildly overpaid it would be fairly easy to garner more than future R3 for him.
You don't truly believe this is the contract Dak inevitably will sign, do you? This may indeed be the offer they have made, but there is zero chance it gets signed under these conditions...sad, but true

Aven8

Reaction score
Why not wait until the PS is over at least to see what Lance can do in pretend games at least? Than make your decision

Reid1boys

Reaction score
There isn’t any doubt in my mind they’re trying to work something out because they have nothing behind him. It’s not like we have a young, promising QB waiting in the wings that’s shown potential. All we have is a castoff and a career backup.
unlike the Pats, right? I mean, it appears their post Brady years are looking wonderful.....smh

fivetwos

Reaction score
But, what about talks with Lamb??
They can’t sign Lamb first.

If they do they can’t try to tell France that they won’t have money for Lamb if they pay Dak what he is asking.

Also if Dak does indeed walk away, you probably are better off trading Lamb.

So I do understand why Lamb is getting put aside. I’m sure he is still thrilled with #4 lol.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The deal will be made however they make it.
If Dak wants the 55+M per year he may concede the no trade. Going from 40M APY to 58M APY is definitely not a downgrade.

Dak's first 3 base years will be GTD for sure.
But you don't pay them until he plays them which means it doesn't cost you the full GTD to trade him. The new team would pick up those guarantees.
His Signing bonus if split amongst 4-5 years will be eaten at the time of trade.

Not sure why I am explaining this to an Eagles fan who saw Wentz EASILY traded on a massive (at the time) deal.

Dallas is undoubtedly going to take a large dead money cap hit ot trade Prescott.
They will do the same if he simply walks for free.

But it does need to be any massive 100M dead money hit.
You are explaining this to an Eagles fan so that everyone else in this thread can see what information you are missing.

There hasn’t been a top QB contract without a signing bonus in 30+ years. Signing bonuses are prorated; this is how you can give a QB a massive lump sum without it counting as a massive hit against the cap that year. Even Deshaun Watson’s contract with fully guaranteed salaries still came with a 45m$ signing bonus. That is spread over 5 years. In the event the QB leaves your roster, that money is immediately escalated to hit in its entirety the moment the QB is cut/traded. Deshaun’s contract was years ago, Dak’s won’t be that small. Dak’s contract in 2021 had a 66m$ signing bonus. Lamar Jackson’s contract had a 72m$ signing bonus. Goff got 73m$.

Additionally, Dak still has 40m$ in prorations after this year from the 2021 contract where an extension would delay the cap hits. Again, trading or cutting him next year would add yet another 40m$ to your cap.

It would be roster suicide trading him within 24 months of signing that deal, regardless of how it’s worded in Dallas’ favor

leeblair

Reaction score
They’re going to do it probably because Dak led the league in TD passes last year, also lead the league in accuracy and also happened to be runner up in NFL MVP voting. Did I mention he was an All Pro? Pro Bowler? Haters are blinded by their hate. They can’t see the forest because of the trees.
Dak's so-called "runner up" status in the MVP voting is a farce.
He got 1 whole vote; Josh Allen got more. Dak had a slightly higher total of other category votes based on his play versus weak teams, but ANY CHANCE of him being MVP ENDED WHEN HE CHOKED AWAY THE PACKERS GAME IN THE PLAYOFFS AT HOME!
Then the rest of the NFL saw the truth about his true abilities and that he continues to choke versus playoff caliber teams that the rest of the Cowboys team can't win for him.

Blitzen

Reaction score
You are explaining this to an Eagles fan so that everyone else in this thread can see what information you are missing.

There hasn’t been a top QB contract without a signing bonus in 30+ years. Signing bonuses are prorated; this is how you can give a QB a massive lump sum without it counting as a massive hit against the cap that year. Even Deshaun Watson’s contract with fully guaranteed salaries still came with a 45m$ signing bonus. That is spread over 5 years. In the event the QB leaves your roster, that money is immediately escalated to hit in its entirety the moment the QB is cut/traded. Deshaun’s contract was years ago, Dak’s won’t be that small. Dak’s contract in 2021 had a 66m$ signing bonus. Lamar Jackson’s contract had a 72m$ signing bonus. Goff got 73m$.

Additionally, Dak still has 40m$ in prorations after this year from the 2021 contract where an extension would delay the cap hits. Again, trading or cutting him next year would add yet another 40m$ to your cap.

It would be roster suicide trading him within 24 months of signing that deal, regardless of how it’s worded in Dallas’ favor

I don’t think most here understand the current setup of contracts. And this would be the 3rd contract for Dak not the 2nd like Wentz. Teams have shown the ability to shed a big contract. This Russell Wilson thing is just so absurd-an $85 million dollar hit. George Paton may never be a GM for any team following the disaster he orchestrated. This is his fourth season with the Broncos as their GM, and they really need to play well quickly for him to stay much longer.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
It's most obvious during the season. When Dak plays well and the cowboys win, cerain posters here avoid this place like the plague. Let the Cowboys lose, and Dak has an average to down game and they are lighting up this message board with complaints about one player like it is the 4th of July. It makes no sense that when your team wins you're not here celebrating with everyone else..almost like you are hoping Dak has a bad game and they lose so you can come here and see that's what I am talking about.
The Cowboys haven’t won a meaningful game in more than 28 years. Dak has been around for 8 of those. He has played a significant part in this franchise’s futility.