Signed by Cowboys Cowboys hire Brian Schottenheimer as Offensive Coordinator

nathanlt

Reaction score
Already on the staff ,really no your team before you pop off !
I appreciate the stinger you think you just threw, but no.... I didn't keep up with the advisory level consultants for the offense this past year. Now to go find some after-sun medicine for the burn you think you got in...

khiladi

Reaction score
When BS was fired on 2018, the first half of the season they were averaging close to 34 PPG. The last half of the season they averaged 22 PPG.

Teams just rushed 4 and it was over.

khiladi

Reaction score
After the Cowboys parted ways with offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, they needed to fill the two roles he held. Head coach Mike McCarthy was given the reins as the play caller in Dallas, but the Cowboys still needed someone manage the actual coordination of the scheme and design the plays for McCarthy to call. They decided to stay in-house for the hire.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/04/cowboys-brian-schottenheimer/

Brian Schottenheimer coached in a Coryell scheme, meaning the offense isn’t changing. Mike McCarthy will be calling plays in the same offense.

This was probably pre-planned for awhile, as MM brought him in last year as a consultant, meaning the FO was planning for Moore to bounce while giving them some time to prepare for it.

Gaede

Reaction score
OMG…..how can you imagine position coaches don’t make a huge impact? Look what better coaching has done for the secondary. Look how little Leon Lett got out of anyone we’ve played at DT during his tenure. Look at the drop in OL consistency since Callahan and even Columbo. Position coaches who are top guys in this league make a huge difference and players mention their impact on their careers.
Good ones make a difference. Most are just part of the overall output. I couldn't tell you who the WR coach was 4 yrs ago

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/04/cowboys-brian-schottenheimer/

Brian Schottenheimer coached in a Coryell scheme, meaning the offense isn’t changing. Mike McCarthy will be calling plays in the same offense.

This was probably pre-planned for awhile, as MM brought him in last year as a consultant, meaning the FO was planning for Moore to bounce while giving them some time to prepare for it.
The offense will change. It will just have elements of things that worked with kellen. Jerry has said as much in his interviews. They are building off of what is already here and the scheme will be heavily influenced by the west coast offense Mike runs. It will have hybrid elements

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Per Jane - where are you goobers that told me those OC interviews last week were legitimate? Hahahaha

Same song and dance from this organization for 30 years - we like our guys - goes for players and coaches

Well, there's a predictable outcome, though, I did like the Panthers RB coach. This one's probably decent enough

garyv

Reaction score
This is a disastrous move. Offense wont be top 15 next season
The only thing I hope since Brian will only be scripting plays and McCarthy actually is the one picking them that this hopefully can do well

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So weird how you guys process information.

Did you really expect some young hip hire? Why? They will run McCarthy's offense. What Schotty brings, along with Solari, is a know how for ground and pound.

I like the mindset change here. Meld that with McCarthy's proven passing game and I like it.

As opposed to BOY Wonder who hated to run the ball.

True, and a run-first WCO is a good approach imo. It plays to our strength while using the WCO.

Reactions: Ken

Carson

Reaction score
You think Mahomes would be Mahomes if he had Garrett as his coach? Coaching matters, and this guy sucks. He won't help improve Dak
I hear what you’re saying.

But his offensive have ran the ball 500+ times every season. Less is more with Dak.

Get a beast at LG, run the ball and play power football.

Go get a QB coach like Jon Kitna now

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Not the most exciting hire, but whatever.

This is a make or break season for Fat Mike, so let him call the plays, let him hire whoever he wants, let him have total control over the offense.

If he is going to go down with the ship, he at least wants to be at the wheel..................I can respect that.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Tb
You think Mahomes would be Mahomes if he had Garrett as his coach? Coaching matters, and this guy sucks. He won't help improve Dak
Tbh honest yes….mahomes is an All time generational great. He’s definitely helped by Reid but he’d be very very good anywhere. The argument for helping dak is by having Mike call plays that will save dak from himself. Stop having him try to prove he’s this elite level quarterback.

Kellen probably played into that with dak a little because he loved being aggressive and was pass happy.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i don't remember kellen moore having this many supporters while he was here.

not surprising.
this is the part of the off season where the miserables play pretend.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Meh. Par for the course for Dallas though. Just the hire we were all expecting.

I guess time will tell, but this doesn't inspire much confidence for the fans.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
So weird how you guys process information.

Did you really expect some young hip hire? Why? They will run McCarthy's offense. What Schotty brings, along with Solari, is a know how for ground and pound.

I like the mindset change here. Meld that with McCarthy's proven passing game and I like it.

As opposed to BOY Wonder who hated to run the ball.
I agree. The response is strange as I thought this is what everyone wanted.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14881/russell-wilson

From 2018 to 2021 he had his highest rating with 110.9 in 2018, 40 TD passes to 13 INTs in 2020. second highest QBR since his rookie season in 2019. 2021 was a bit rough, but that Seahawks team had some injury and talent issues.

I don't think this is anywhere near as bad some do here. Much better than a lot of options out there.
I'm not going to jump to any conclusions about it. I've seen enough of the system that Garrett ran, or some variation of it, to want us to divorce ourselves from that. I have no idea how Schottenheimer as coordinator with more of McCarthy's WCO influences will work. I'm just glad we're trying something different after the failure in San Francisco. An offensive-minded coach like McCarthy has to show his offense can do better than that, or we have to move on.

We have a pretty good defense now, so we've got to take advantage by having an offense that puts up more than 12 points in a playoff game, even if it is playing a pretty good defense.