Twitter: Cowboys interest in TE Brate

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
$7M in cap hit next year is no small #...better be a 4th rounder or less.

That would $21M invested into 2 positions we were told like 2.5 months ago we didn’t need. Weird how that works...
If you don't have it..

you fake it until you make it.

I would trade for him.

He is making about what Witten was.

And he is way more productive.

Do it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't think they should trade any more draft picks away they will need them to add some players next season this one is pretty over as far as the playoffs are concerned
Draft picks are just players that aren't on our team yet

There is nothing magical about them..... fans attach too much value to them....they are scratch-off tickets

We know CBrate is pretty good..... better than our TEs

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not season ending, correct.

Sprained MCL I believe. A few week injury but will return

Right. I mean, what I see is that we don't really go to the TE much anyway. What we really require them to do, in this offense, is to be a solid blocker and to be a threat to catch the ball but the Offense doesn't really go through them the way it has in past years. This guy Brate, would be really expensive and, he would coast a draft pick, which I don't really see as a throw away. I look at this guy and I don't see him as better then what we have as a starter and yet, we would be paying him better then a starter, almost as much as we payed the Best TE we've ever had in the history of this Franchise.

I mean, I get it, we need a guy but is this what we really want to do? Are we even going to use him much? If he's not somebody who can come in and be a clear cut above what we already have, then why would we do this? If Swaim is out for the season and that's the deal, then it makes a little more sense but not a lot, even then, to me. I don't think I would make this move. Not saying you would either. I'm just saying that I look at it and I don't know if it makes much sense to me, based on what I see this player as.

JMO

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I say send 2020 and 2021 first round picks to Atlanta for the rights to O.J. Santiago. Just in case he comes out of retirement.

:laugh:
I remember being so pissed off at that trade. There was a sunshine group up in arms about how great he was going to be for our offense. I, in the meantime, couldn't stop throwing up in my mouth. I remember a post about how he was "learning the playbook on the plane". Yeah, that ought to work out.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Draft picks are just players that aren't on our team yet

There is nothing magical about them..... fans attach too much value to them....they are scratch-off tickets

We know CBrate is pretty good..... better than our TEs

How is he better? Honest question.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Rams had no dead money cause of their history of losing. We have Romo, Dez. Resign Witten in 2016 or 2017, not sure how his salary works against the cap since he retired
Dead money is meaningless

We are nowhere near maxing out against the cap

We could have spent another 30m this year

The Rams added Talib, Peters, Suh, Cooks, Woods to Gurley, Goff, Donald, Kupp and Brockers and also had 14m in Dead Money

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
In football you run, catch and throw the ball

He is better at that stuff that our guys

Based on what? I mean, the Stats don't support that so I don't understand where this is all coming from. What I'm asking for is why everybody seems to think this. I've watched this kid play, he is OK but I don't see a TE that is worth that contract and draft pick. I don't even see a guy who is better then Swaim, necessarily. So I'm asking what you guys are seeing that's making you believe that he is, in fact, head and shoulders better?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you don't have it..

you fake it until you make it.

I would trade for him.

He is making about what Witten was.

And he is way more productive.

Do it.

Last year Witten had 560 yards and 5 TD's, and Brate had 591 yards and 6 TD's. Granted Brate had a better yards per catch average, but he also has a notably lower completion %. I just don't see that he is "way more productive". Also, keep in mind that part of Witten's salary was based on being a valued member of the team for many years with numerous Pro Bowl and All Pro honors under his belt, and Brate has yet to earn any such honors.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Based on what? I mean, the Stats don't support that so I don't understand where this is all coming from. What I'm asking for is why everybody seems to think this. I've watched this kid play, he is OK but I don't see a TE that is worth that contract and draft pick. I don't even see a guy who is better then Swaim, necessarily. So I'm asking what you guys are seeing that's making you believe that he is, in fact, head and shoulders better?
You can't be serious

Swaim has 1 TD in his career..... Brate has 20

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I agree completely. Brate's career has been nothing but mediocre, and do we really want to trade a draft pick for perpetual mediocrity? Swaim seems able to provide that much.

Ken

Reaction score
not crazy about this at first glance. 27, bigger contract and hasn't started a lot of games in thr nfl. Has had a couple of decent seasons though. I would give no higher than a 5.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree completely. Brate's career has been nothing but mediocre, and do we really want to trade a draft pick for perpetual mediocrity? Swaim seems able to provide that much.
Mediocre? You must have missed the part where I showed that over his last 16 starts he has 1000 yards and 14 TD's. Please point out the other TE's putting up that kind of production.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can't be serious

Swaim has 1 TD in his career..... Brate has 20

Swaim is getting his first chance to start and his first use as a receiver this year, and on a poor passing team. Brate has been getting significant playing time for 4 years and has been used as a receiver over those years with a more productive passing team. Brate's numbers are more like the tail end of Witten's career than TE that is worth trading for. I would keep the pick and give Swaim, Jarwin and Schultz some time to develop rather than make a commitment and lose a draft pick for a persistently mediocre player.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Mediocre? You must have missed the part where I showed that over his last 16 starts he has 1000 yards and 14 TD's. Please point out the other TE's putting up that kind of production.
Swaim has 28 career catches for 299 yards and 1 Td
Brate has 140 catches for 1670 yards and 20 Tds