Twitter: Cowboys interest in TE Brate

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Dead money is meaningless

We are nowhere near maxing out against the cap

We could have spent another 30m this year

The Rams added Talib, Peters, Suh, Cooks, Woods to Gurley, Goff, Donald, Kupp and Brockers and also had 14m in Dead Money
they also resigned their RT before they resigned Donald.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Swaim is getting his first chance to start and his first use as a receiver this year, and on a poor passing team. Brate has been getting significant playing time for 4 years and has been used as a receiver over those years with a more productive passing team. Brate's numbers are more like the tail end of Witten's career than TE that is worth trading for. I would keep the pick and give Swaim, Jarwin and Schultz some time to develop rather than make a commitment and lose a draft pick for a persistently mediocre player.
Swaim is a FA to be...... bye Felicia

Reactions: CWR

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Last year Witten had 560 yards and 5 TD's, and Brate had 591 yards and 6 TD's. Granted Brate had a better yards per catch average, but he also has a notably lower completion %. I just don't see that he is "way more productive". Also, keep in mind that part of Witten's salary was based on being a valued member of the team for many years with numerous Pro Bowl and All Pro honors under his belt, and Brate has yet to earn any such honors.
Brate was splitting offensive snaps with OJ Howard last year. He played on 53% of the snaps. Witten played on 98% of offensive snaps...and he outperformed Witt.

Rayman70

Reaction score
BRATE IS A COMPLETE PLAYER. Does the little things well,much like Witten. If we do this then I see 2 of our tightends being gone. Better yet...why not go get OJ Howard instead?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Last year Witten had 560 yards and 5 TD's, and Brate had 591 yards and 6 TD's. Granted Brate had a better yards per catch average, but he also has a notably lower completion %. I just don't see that he is "way more productive". Also, keep in mind that part of Witten's salary was based on being a valued member of the team for many years with numerous Pro Bowl and All Pro honors under his belt, and Brate has yet to earn any such honors.
I have seen him play.

Their QB is not exactly Aaron Rodgers.

He would be a suitable fit.

A vet with experience and also blocks.

We have little of that.

As for paying Witten excessively for performances 5 years ago.?

That's done with.

It was a mistake.

Reactions: CWR

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have seen him play.

Their QB is not exactly Aaron Rodgers.

He would be a suitable fit.

A vet with experience and also blocks.

We have little of that.

As for paying Witten excessively for performances 5 years ago.?

That's done with.

It was a mistake.

I'm not saying he wouldn't fit, I'm just saying the upgrade doesn't appear to be enough to give up a draft pick for. I think it would be no more than an incremental upgrade, and depending on how our young TE's develop in a year or two it may not even be that.

Hardline

Reaction score
I name Rico the starter for the rest of the year and let this be his make or break chance.
As far as getting another TE there will most likely be a very good one on the board in the second round next year that won't be a reach.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I name Rico the starter for the rest of the year and let this be his make or break chance.
As far as getting another TE there will most likely be a very good one on the board in the second round next year that won't be a reach.

With the 49th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select Caleb Wilson, TE UCLA.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I just don't see it. I have no problem giving him an upgrade in playing time, but if he is having trouble understanding or recognizing assignments, as has been reported, it could lead to others getting hurt and to INTs. I think we could get him a little more playing time without handing over responsibility for all aspects of the position.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mediocre? You must have missed the part where I showed that over his last 16 starts he has 1000 yards and 14 TD's. Please point out the other TE's putting up that kind of production.

I went back and added up his last 16 starts and it came to 715 yards and 6 TDs (info from football reference.com).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You can't be serious

Swaim has 1 TD in his career..... Brate has 20

Brate has played on a team that has used him. Swaim played behind a guy who is a HOF TE. I mean, who's the one here who is not being serious? But more to the point, and really this is what you need to think about here, how good of a blocker is Brate? Is he head and shoulders better because I have not really seen that. Now, I will be honest and say that I have not seen him play much, only a few time actually, but that's the real question here. Do you see Brate as a guy who the Cowboys are going to change their Offense to facilitate? That answer is no. We are not going to change how we do stuff because of him so what you are really paying for is another guy who is going to come to Dallas and gets 4 to 5 targets a game (before we signed Cooper). In this Offense, he is always going to be the 4th or 5th option and lets be real here, how often does Dak get to the 4th option in his read? How often do we even get time to find the 3rd read in the Redzone, which is what we are talking about here because Brate is not a downfield threat.

So where do you see Brate as better? Swaim has a better catch percentage, he has better average yard per catch, he has more average receptions per game, he has better yards per touch so I'm guessing that it has to be in the blocking because in the passing game, Brate is not better.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
That is awesome.
Someone took the time to pull a video together. I guess Swaim has plenty of time in the offseason to work on his video editing skills.

The best part was how to starts with "call at 2 of his targets in 2017".
That "highlight" video was put together by Bleeding Green Nation, an Eagles Fan Forum. They did it to mock how much the FO and fans were talking up our WRs and TEs during the off-season. Swaim was supposed to be a stud with his 9 career catches, so they put together the video to show how"great" he's been. With some editing, reverse angles and dramatic music, it's pretty easy to make any player look good.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
If we can’t get Brate what about Jesse James? The Steelers need a CB so maybe we could swap Brown or Lewis for James.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we can’t get Brate what about Jesse James? The Steelers need a CB so maybe we could swap Brown or Lewis for James.

What is there about Jesse James that indicates he is any better than Swaim, or that he is worth giving up a draft pick for?