Cowboys Making Late Run At Signing Dak Prescott To Extension

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I think its a moot point.Looks like we are about to lock him up for several years.
I know that, I just would wait if we could to see how the season plays out and if Garrett will be here next year. He should only get better each year but you never know.

Rayman70

Reaction score
John would have Tony drawing up plays in the booth lol...would be very entertaining.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have to go back to 2014 before the odds of finding a "bad" or "bust" QB really go up.

Then you look around the league currently and there just isn't many bad QB's. Everyone pretty much trots out a mediocre QB at worst or unproven rookie / 2nd year player.

We are probably playing the worst NFL veteran QB in the league this week and something tells me he won't look that bad. I hope he does though.

I'm not a big one for trying to line up QBs in a linear order in the first place. I think Dak's a guy you can win a championship with. And I think he's likely to get better the next two years or so still. Those guys aren't all that easy to find. And some of them take time to develop, so you're not going to have much of their time when they're good enough to win available to you on their rookie deals. After that rookie deal, they pretty much cost what they cost, and that's expensive.

But to fill the QB team on a contender and save the multiple high picks it freed up getting him at the bottom of the 4th? Commit the cap space to that guy you'd be committing on any other second QB contract and take that to the bank. I'd rather kick in the extra ~10MM AAV a year or whatever it is people think Dak is getting overpaid and have the draft capital and a guy who's ready now and who doesn't carry the bust risk than I would like taking the chance at a true upgrade on a rookie deal at whatever it would cost to move up into the top-2 of the draft in order to make that route realistic.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I'm kind of glad. Next year's offseason is going to be tough enough without Dak's contract hanging over their head.

Amari Cooper
Byron Jones
Maliek Collins
Jason Witten
Robert Quinn
Randall Cobb
Sean Lee
Tavon Austin
Joe Looney
Antwaun Woods (restricted)
Anthony Brown (good riddance)
Jeff Heath (finally!)
Tyrone Crawford (cap casualty?)
L.P. Ladoucier
Xavier Su'a-Filo
Christian Covington
Joe Thomas

It's clear that there will be changes next year. Dak or Cooper must get signed, allowing the other to get franchised if needed. Byron and M. Collins will be the next priority guys. Anthony Brown is interesting in that I could see him re-signed over Byron if it's a lot less money. Quinn seems like a 1 year rental and would be surprised to see him extended. Aside from that guys like Witten, Lee, and L.P. are at the later stages of their careers and if they want to continue to play I think they would come back to Dallas on modest 1 year deals. Woods likely gets retained as a restricted free agent.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I actually have a thought that Jerry just really, really likes Dak.
He had to coerce Romo to be more of a student of the game with his Peyton remarks.
Dak is obsessed with getting better.
Dak is great publicity for the Cowboys.
Dak wins.
Dak is a really cool nickname that tags with people, being both mono-syllabic and easily recognizable.
He has won since he got here.
He doesn't stir the pot. He rallies the troops.
I think Jerry loves him.
we have been very blessed at the RB and QB positions since we became a franchise.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Madden just lost his luster and energy when he retired from broadcasting. I think the fun of it was fleeting for him. The last year he did it he sounded tired and ready to walk away. But if only for like 3 games, I would love to se him paired with someone like Romo to broadcast games. I think Summerall did that for a while as well.

HungryLion

Reaction score
So in conclusion. I forgot to mention this in other posts.

All the people who want to get rid of Dak because “he needs help around him” are not accounting for the fact that it’s probably easier for the front office, to provide Dak with that help, than it is for the front office to go out and find an “elite QB who can carry a team”. Because those QB’s are so rare.

Drafting receivers and lineman and running backs to help the good QB you already have, is often easier to do. IMO

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He stands up for his beliefs. I remember him going at with with another poster all draft season long between Terrance Newman and Terrell Suggs. The threads were epic.

But Catch doesn’t make things personal. So I respect that.

That is hilarious. Someone brings up those threads to me every now and then. Rack316 and I.

What was your username?

I was in high school at the time and in retrospect I’m not sure what I would do. Probably take Suggs lol. Don’t tell Rack though.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

All the people who want to get rid of Dak because “he needs help around him” are not accounting for the fact that it’s probably easier for the front office, to provide Dak with that help, than it is for the front office to go out and find an “elite QB who can carry a team”. Because those QB’s are so rare.

Drafting receivers and lineman and running backs to help the good QB you already have, is often easier to do. IMO
Weeden, Cassell, our new OC had help. They had a thousand yard rusher. They had Witten and Dez. They had a vaunted OL.
Dak steps in and it goes from 3 wins to 3 losses.
These dweebs are just that.
Dweebs.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It's a WHOLE lot to ask even players as good as Zeke, Dak and Cooper to win in the NFL in spite of Garrett.

Jerry needs to bite the bullet and can him. He's been learning on the job way too long.

This experiment should have been over five years ago.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That is hilarious. Someone brings up those threads to me every now and then. Rack316 and I.

What was your username?

I was in high school at the time and in retrospect I’m not sure what I would do. Probably take Suggs lol. Don’t tell Rack though.

I was dboys44

Those threads were hilarious. He was soooo pissed when they drafted Newman.

Ron12

Reaction score

I would happy if Dak gets signed in the next few days he can be the guy no matter what others say he has been hearing that since his high school days !

Last edited: