Cowboys Making Late Run At Signing Dak Prescott To Extension

85Cowboy85

Reaction score
If you want to make a run with this core group of guys realistically you are going to have to sign Dak. None of the other signings are going to matter if the QB doesn't play well, and trying to get enough assets to move high enough in the draft to have a realistic chance at a replacement is going to take at least a year, then development time for that prospect which can take as much as three years if you even hit at all. I would very much prefer to build around a surefire top 10 guy but realistically if we tried to acquire one by the time we did the team would probably be completely turned over.

If you believe 100% that Dak's not the guy it's really hard to justify signing Elliott rather than trading him and trading a 1 for Cooper rather than keeping the 1 and using that money in FA. Neither of these moves were very cap efficient. But they've done that and they've made their bed. These are very much win now at the expense of the future moves.

If you have to pay Dak what Wentz and Goff got you pretty much have to do it at this point, with the mindset that if Dak doesn't work out you are going to start trading guys for picks while they still have value and eat the dead money on these deals before the next QB is ready.

If Prescott busts it almost doesn't matter because the team will also be in the same spot if they let him leave. The only advantage to letting him leave rather than overpaying is a headstart on the rebuild, but in that case the careers of most of the players on the roster will likely be squandered. Go ahead, give him his 30 mil, might as well just maximize your chance to win at this point.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
So in conclusion. I forgot to mention this in other posts.

All the people who want to get rid of Dak because “he needs help around him” are not accounting for the fact that it’s probably easier for the front office, to provide Dak with that help, than it is for the front office to go out and find an “elite QB who can carry a team”. Because those QB’s are so rare.

Drafting receivers and lineman and running backs to help the good QB you already have, is often easier to do. IMO
You may have a good point there. My issue is just paying him as if he were elite.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Even with that slump. I believe he is top 10 in QB rating the last 3 seasons. @percyhoward posted those numbers I believe.
Traditional passer rating, 2016-18
1 Brees 106.4
2 Ryan 105.7
3 Brady 103.5
4 Rodgers 100.3
5 Wilson 98.7
6 Luck 97.5
7 Cousins 97.0
8 Rivers 96.1
9 Prescott 95.9
10 Smith 95.3

ESPN's Total QBR (average of each season, 2016-18)
1 Brady 73.5
2 Ryan 71.5
3 Brees 70.0
4 Luck 68.8
5 Prescott 68.4
6 Rodgers 66.4
7 Rthlsbrgr 66.3
8 Rivers 63.3
9 Wentz 63.2
10 Wilson 62.1

phildadon86

Reaction score
Let’s not also forget.

Yes Dak went through a really bad sophomore slump. He was putrid during that slump. Dreadful.

Other than that slump though. He has been ABOVE average.

Even with that slump. I believe he is top 10 in QB rating the last 3 seasons. @percyhoward posted those numbers I believe.

So I don’t really think Dak is mediocre anyway. He just went through a really bad slump, which happens to a lot of young QB’s.
He also should have seen a shrink after the beating he was forced to take against Atlanta lol

phildadon86

Reaction score
So in conclusion. I forgot to mention this in other posts.

All the people who want to get rid of Dak because “he needs help around him” are not accounting for the fact that it’s probably easier for the front office, to provide Dak with that help, than it is for the front office to go out and find an “elite QB who can carry a team”. Because those QB’s are so rare.

Drafting receivers and lineman and running backs to help the good QB you already have, is often easier to do. IMO
Every quarterback in the league has help around him.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If you want to make a run with this core group of guys realistically you are going to have to sign Dak. None of the other signings are going to matter if the QB doesn't play well, and trying to get enough assets to move high enough in the draft to have a realistic chance at a replacement is going to take at least a year, then development time for that prospect which can take as much as three years if you even hit at all. I would very much prefer to build around a surefire top 10 guy but realistically if we tried to acquire one by the time we did the team would probably be completely turned over.

If you believe 100% that Dak's not the guy it's really hard to justify signing Elliott rather than trading him and trading a 1 for Cooper rather than keeping the 1 and using that money in FA. Neither of these moves were very cap efficient. But they've done that and they've made their bed. These are very much win now at the expense of the future moves.

If you have to pay Dak what Wentz and Goff got you pretty much have to do it at this point, with the mindset that if Dak doesn't work out you are going to start trading guys for picks while they still have value and eat the dead money on these deals before the next QB is ready.

If Prescott busts it almost doesn't matter because the team will also be in the same spot if they let him leave. The only advantage to letting him leave rather than overpaying is a headstart on the rebuild, but in that case the careers of most of the players on the roster will likely be squandered. Go ahead, give him his 30 mil, might as well just maximize your chance to win at this point.
Dak has given no clue that he’s going to “bust”. He’s improved every year. He’s outplayed Wince every game.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
1 Brees 106.4
2 Ryan 105.7
3 Brady 103.5
4 Rodgers 100.3
5 Wilson 98.7
6 Luck 97.5
7 Cousins 97.0
8 Rivers 96.1
9 Prescott 95.9
10 Smith 95.3

1 Brady 73.5
2 Ryan 71.5
3 Brees 70.0
4 Luck 68.8
5 Prescott 68.4
6 Rodgers 66.4
7 Rthlsbrgr 66.3
8 Rivers 63.3
9 Wentz 63.2
10 Wilson 62.1
Your posts are always mana from Heaven to me.

lostar2009

Reaction score
The rate has already jump three times by waiting. They know they have no one besides Dak so they should've just sign the man last year for +20 something. Postponing this only guarantees the rate goes up.

HungryLion

Reaction score
1 Brees 106.4
2 Ryan 105.7
3 Brady 103.5
4 Rodgers 100.3
5 Wilson 98.7
6 Luck 97.5
7 Cousins 97.0
8 Rivers 96.1
9 Prescott 95.9
10 Smith 95.3

1 Brady 73.5
2 Ryan 71.5
3 Brees 70.0
4 Luck 68.8
5 Prescott 68.4
6 Rodgers 66.4
7 Rthlsbrgr 66.3
8 Rivers 63.3
9 Wentz 63.2
10 Wilson 62.1

Thanks @percyhoward

So even with Dak’s slump, where he was playing really bad football. Even with that being taken into consideration, Dak is top 10 since he came into the league, in both passer rating and QBR.

That doesn’t really scream “mediocre” to me.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Every quarterback in the league has help around him.

I know. I don’t believe the “QB who carries a team”. Stuff. Even the best QB’s in the league need good players around them if they want to win. Some QB’s just need less help than others.

I am just pointing out that even if that WAS the case like some people claim. It’s still flawed logic.

HungryLion

Reaction score
You may have a good point there. My issue is just paying him as if he were elite.

I hear you. Paying Dak isn’t without its risks either. The more he is paid. The less money they have for other players. It is a risk.

I just think some people are throwing out the “just draft a QB” argument without acknowledging all the risks associated with that strategy. We literally have posters who think the cowboys can replace Dak with no problem whatsoever. That’s just flat out now how the NFL works with QB’s.

HungryLion

Reaction score
He also should have seen a shrink after the beating he was forced to take against Atlanta lol

Fun fact.

That season was the season Wentz was on an “MVP” trajectory. Halfway through the year he led the league with 20 touchdowns. Who was tied with Wentz with 20 TD’s after the first 8 games? Dak Prescott.

Of course Dak’s play went into the pooper. But he was playing pretty well the first 8 games of 2017 before his slump.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Thanks @percyhoward

So even with Dak’s slump, where he was playing really bad football. Even with that being taken into consideration, Dak is top 10 since he came into the league, in both passer rating and QBR.

That doesn’t really scream “mediocre” to me.
Not exactly. This is passer rating since week 4 last year:

1 Wilson 114.7
2 Brees 109.4
3 Ryan 108.4
4 Mahomes 106.8
5 Wentz 103.9
6 Watson 102.6
7 Prescott 100.0
8 Cousins 100.0
9 Luck 99.8
10 Trubisky 99.7

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I hear you. Paying Dak isn’t without its risks either. The more he is paid. The less money they have for other players. It is a risk.

I just think some people are throwing out the “just draft a QB” argument without acknowledging all the risks associated with that strategy. We literally have posters who think the cowboys can replace Dak with no problem whatsoever. That’s just flat out now how the NFL works with QB’s.
Agreed, Clint Stonear...lol...spelling reminds me of Cooper.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Not exactly. This is passer rating since week 4 last year:

1 Wilson 114.7
2 Brees 109.4
3 Ryan 108.4
4 Mahomes 106.8
5 Wentz 103.9
6 Watson 102.6
7 Prescott 100.0
8 Cousins 100.0
9 Luck 99.8
10 Trubisky 99.7

Thanks Percy.

That doesn’t scream mediocre QB to me either.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
I'm kind of glad. Next year's offseason is going to be tough enough without Dak's contract hanging over their head.

Amari Cooper
Byron Jones
Maliek Collins
Jason Witten
Robert Quinn
Randall Cobb
Sean Lee
Tavon Austin
Joe Looney
Antwaun Woods (restricted)
Anthony Brown (good riddance)
Jeff Heath (finally!)
Tyrone Crawford (cap casualty?)
L.P. Ladoucier
Xavier Su'a-Filo
Christian Covington
Joe Thomas
Heath will finally get re-signed??

85Cowboy85

Reaction score
Dak has given no clue that he’s going to “bust”. He’s improved every year. He’s outplayed Wince every game.

Dak Prescott last year was
14th rating
18th ypa
18th qpr
19th ANY/A

The previous year he was
18th rating
19th ypa
4th QBR
19th ANY/A

He was top 5 in all of these categories his rookie season. It's very much in question whether he will even replicate those numbers let alone reproduce them consistently.

If he continues to put up numbers like this not only will we not compete for a championship but we will likely miss the playoffs for the vast majority of the contract, especially paying him at the going rate for QBs.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Dak Prescott last year was
14th rating
18th ypa
18th qpr
19th ANY/A

The previous year he was
18th rating
19th ypa
4th QBR
19th ANY/A

He was top 5 in all of these categories his rookie season. It's very much in question whether he will even replicate those numbers let alone reproduce them consistently.

If he continues to put up numbers like this not only will we not compete for a championship but we will likely miss the playoffs for the vast majority of the contract, especially paying him at the going rate for QBs.
You’re an idiot. 32-16 is all that counts.