Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the team is looking to extend LB Aldon Smith

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Suprised this hasn't been posted. Mods please delete if I missed it.

• "We want to maximize our relationship with him," Jones told 105.3FM the Fan. "Proud that he's given himself this chance and we're going to help him do it. I'm a fan of his." Smith drew interest at the trade deadline, but the Cowboys view him as part of their 2021 plans. The former All-Pro has been one of the comeback players of the year, posting five sacks and 12 pressures in nine starts. Smith's role has taken a hit the last few weeks with the return of Randy Gregory, but he's still getting around 66 percent of snaps. Playing on a one-year contract, extending Smith with a short-term deal would make sense for both sides.

SOURCE: 105.3 The Fan
    Nov 14, 2020, 11:17 AM ET

I'd like to see this. Among him, Lawrence and Gregory, I think we'd be pretty well off at end and we need to focus on getting better in the middle.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jerry loves his reclamation projects.

I guess if they want to run a 3-4 defense going forward, Aldon fits that mold.

If we are going to extend a pass rusher, rather it be Gregory.

Gregory and Smith are the natural pair for 3-4. Maybe they can get both cheap.

Dlaw hasn't been getting sacks, but he's grading out high. Maybe we can trade him and his contract, and get something for him?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Gregory and Smith are the natural pair for 3-4. Maybe they can get both cheap.

Dlaw hasn't been getting sacks, but he's grading out high. Maybe we can trade him and his contract, and get something for him?

Even though DLaw hasn't been getting sacks, the defense still needs him as he is one of the best DE's against the run.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey. When you quote me, give a citation.
Then I can charge you!

Don't worry. I don't charge much.
Couple hundred...
Couple of hundred bucks is a lot of money for an eighth graders.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

• "We want to maximize our relationship with him," Jones told 105.3FM the Fan. "Proud that he's given himself this chance and we're going to help him do it. I'm a fan of his." Smith drew interest at the trade deadline, but the Cowboys view him as part of their 2021 plans. The former All-Pro has been one of the comeback players of the year, posting five sacks and 12 pressures in nine starts. Smith's role has taken a hit the last few weeks with the return of Randy Gregory, but he's still getting around 66 percent of snaps. Playing on a one-year contract, extending Smith with a short-term deal would make sense for both sides.

I have a question for you. Why when anyone looks at any site that lists players including the Cowboys own site, all list Smith as a DE yet you chose to list him as a LB - WHY?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Gregory is already signed through the 2021 season. They can worry about him after next season.

My point was if they are going to keep one of them moving forward (more then next yr), I rather it be Gregory.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
My point was if they are going to keep one of them moving forward (more then next yr), I rather it be Gregory.

So far there hasn't been anything from the Cowboys that they won't keep both.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
So far there hasn't been anything from the Cowboys that they won't keep both.

Speculation would be both missed several years of getting paid, you would think they would want to cash in. If Quinn get get a huge contract, you would think these guys could do the same.

conner01

Reaction score
We are going to need to hold our breath. Maybe that's why the front office only gave him a 1 yr deal, to prove to them he can be counted on.
I think so
And I must say I would have done the same
I hope he has turned his life around but I’m a trust but verify person

fivetwos

Reaction score
It better be at a discount.

I'm concerned a team or two decides to throw a bunch of money at Gregory given his tape....and how much better this defense is since he returned...coincidental or not.

Jerry will find out quickly how his loyalty to players doesnt help at all.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It better be at a discount.

I'm concerned a team or two decides to throw a bunch of money at Gregory given his tape....and how much better this defense is since he returned...coincidental or not.

Jerry will find out quickly how his loyalty to players doesnt help at all.
Nevermind on Gregory. I missed the extension.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Speculation would be both missed several years of getting paid, you would think they would want to cash in. If Quinn get get a huge contract, you would think these guys could do the same.

First off Quinn got a big contract after getting 11.5 sacks last season for the 6th most in the league. Right now Smith is 20th at 5 sacks and Gregory has 1 sack. Unless they completely ball out and get double digit sacks, there are other DE's that get more sacks that they can get cheap without any other issues. Besides Smith has a couple of times publicly said he is so thankful to the Cowboys for giving him another chance that he just might do a really team friendly contract.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I would be surprised if anyone offered more than a 1 year deal or a deal structured like a 1 year deal. He's not getting a Quinn type dollars, too much risk for a club.

Maybe 2 year 10 million deal with some guarantees/roster bonuses that carry little obligation after year 1.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Jerry will have to match the FA offers .

It’s simple.

he’s UFA.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Put Gregory and Smith starting ends, with Lawrence coming off the bench. It kind of chaps my *** that Lawrence's play has improved since Gregory is back with the team. I guess Lawrence's days of cruising came to a HALT when it entered his mind that there are now two dudes on the team that can step into his starting spot because of his lousy play. Well I believe he's a day late and a dollar short, the other guys have proved and shown that it's an honor to play this game once again and they're play is showing it. This is why they need to be the starters at this point and time.

quickccc

Reaction score

i thought his role took a hit because he hasn't made plays the last few weeks .... he hasnt been same since his 3 sack seattle week

now has aldon's dcline that been because of an unforeseen injury the Cowboys are not talking about that could be slowing him considerably ?
.(ala neck or shoulder?)
.. or because Aldon has hit a wall physically after a 4 year absence from the game ? :confused:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Neither Crawford or Griffin were under contract for next year anyway so they have no cap hit. Meaning diverting money would mean it comes from that $28.5 million you spoke of, not from either of them.

I know there are several ways for the team to get cap space, just pointing out that one has zero to do with the other.

Edit: You may have meant what I typed, if so I'm sorry, I just didn't read it that way.
The $28 million is current cap room, not next year, so not having Griffen and Crawford next year will add to that..

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
First off Quinn got a big contract after getting 11.5 sacks last season for the 6th most in the league. Right now Smith is 20th at 5 sacks and Gregory has 1 sack. Unless they completely ball out and get double digit sacks, there are other DE's that get more sacks that they can get cheap without any other issues. Besides Smith has a couple of times publicly said he is so thankful to the Cowboys for giving him another chance that he just might do a really team friendly contract.

It's a wait and see, keep in mind both players have missed several years, they may struggle like we have seen with Aldon. Does that take down his price? I hear he is grateful, but money talks.