Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the team is looking to extend LB Aldon Smith

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It's a wait and see, keep in mind both players have missed several years, they may struggle like we have seen with Aldon. Does that take down his price? I hear he is grateful, but money talks.

You just answered your own question. When do players who struggle end up with huge contracts the next year? It's almost like you're hoping some team goes nuts and offers Smith a huge contract. Like I said teams offer big contracts for players that do something and as it stands now a sack every other game is not lighting the world on fire. Unlike you probably, some people treat people in kind. If someone does something that you really appreciate then you do something good for them. Also some players get really humble after going through what Smith has and then given the chance again.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Good move! Smith is playing even better than you think after 5 years out of the NFL.

If I recall correctly, Smith lead the NFL in sacks back in October & is playing even better for the Boys than the stats show.

Majic

Reaction score
What's this 3-4 talk? As long as Lawrence is here going 3-4 is dumb

Hybrid looks and also having D-Law should not prevent us playing the 3-4, particularly as other players (A.Smith, Gregory, Anae etc) are better suited to this.

visionary

Reaction score
Suprised this hasn't been posted. Mods please delete if I missed it.

• "We want to maximize our relationship with him," Jones told 105.3FM the Fan. "Proud that he's given himself this chance and we're going to help him do it. I'm a fan of his." Smith drew interest at the trade deadline, but the Cowboys view him as part of their 2021 plans. The former All-Pro has been one of the comeback players of the year, posting five sacks and 12 pressures in nine starts. Smith's role has taken a hit the last few weeks with the return of Randy Gregory, but he's still getting around 66 percent of snaps. Playing on a one-year contract, extending Smith with a short-term deal would make sense for both sides.

SOURCE: 105.3 The Fan
    Nov 14, 2020, 11:17 AM ET

stupid to do it IMO
We will never learn to not pay players based on what they do in a contract year

I would much rather have traded him to Seattle if they were offering a 4th

if they were not I would let him test FA and get a nice comp pick

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
Not to worry guys, both Gregory & Smith will get multi year deals. There isn't a feel-good story that JJ can pass up.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
stupid to do it IMO

I'm a skeptical that Seattle offered a 4th but if they did it was stupid to not take it.

quickccc

Reaction score
The $28 million is current cap room, not next year, so not having Griffen and Crawford next year will add to that..

if we had cut the useless Crawford when we had the chance, couldn't we have rolled that 9 million he is 'charity" getting this year in 2020,..into next year's 2021 cap roll ? :rolleyes:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if we had cut the useless Crawford when we had the chance, couldn't we have rolled that 9 million he is 'charity" getting this year in 2020,..into next year's 2021 cap roll ? :rolleyes:
Maybe, I'm not sure how that works, but it's irrelevant now. They screwed up, but they can't undo it, they can only go forward with the circumstances they will have.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I was pleased to see Aldon Smith doing so well, upon joining the Cowboys. Here's hoping he'll continue to do well, once he's paid.:thumbup:

jrumann59

Reaction score
Speculation would be both missed several years of getting paid, you would think they would want to cash in. If Quinn get get a huge contract, you would think these guys could do the same.
yes but neither really have jump off the page stats to fall back on like Quinn did.

CWR

Reaction score
stupid to do it IMO

Depends on the cost and how we use him moving forward. I didn't realize Seattle went as high as a 4th.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
I’m not saying they did, I’m saying if they did I would have taken it otherwise you take the comp pick
Under stood, and I agree with the idea of getting a comp pick, even if it's only a 6th.
I think this team needs to get younger and signing Smith doesn't help that. I'm happy for Smith that he seems to have a handle on his demons, I really am, but this team needs more new young blood.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Under stood, and I agree with the idea of getting a comp pick, even if it's only a 6th.
I think this team needs to get younger and signing Smith doesn't help that. I'm happy for Smith that he seems to have a handle on his demons, I really am, but this team needs more new young blood.
This team needs good, solid players, and if some of them are older and more experienced, I have no problem with that.