Twitter: Cowboys plan: Place Lawrence on IR, sign Carl Lawson from P-Squad and bring in players for workout

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It won't be pretty. This defence is going to struggle.

We need to stop the run so Mazi and (insert new run stopper) have to at the very least slow down the running game.

Bland, Diggs, Lewis Hooker and Wilson have to play out of their minds. The next Thurman's Thieves is what we need.

My concern is opposing QBs will wear their arm out throwing for 1st downs against this lackluster pass rush.
No, they need to stop worrying about the run and start hoping to create big plays - they need to be risky. Their pass defense is an albatross, and hyper focusing on stopping the run is exacerbating the problem. If Daniel Jones could throw the ball more than 10 yards, the Giants would have scored 30-something at least.

They should be blitzing basically every play and just hoping to get a lead to make the opponent one dimensional.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I don’t know how they replace Law and Micah. I can’t offer any type of insight on that.
While l understand what you're saying, what have either of these guys done so far? A loss is a loss, is a loss. Neither of these guys have been game changers. I honestly can't name any motivated players on this team right now.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
While l understand what you're saying, what have either of these guys done so far? A loss is a loss, is a loss. Neither of these guys have been game changers. I honestly can't name any motivated players on this team right now.
Are you talking about this season or in general when you ask what have they done?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You really can't. There's no Micha's or D-Laws out there right now and no teams are out of it enough to hit the trade market.
No I get you can't as far as talent goes. It's like last season though how do you replace Diggs? You can't. But then Bland came in. How do you replace D-Law a few years ago? Micah as a rookie came in as an edge. And while it didn't work Quinn went to Bell when LVE got hurt and Bell was solid though he wasn't the best fit in the run game but it wasn't his own doing. There are some things you can do. Overshown looks like that hybrid safety/LB that can do some things but who knows.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There may be more 3-4 played now.

Contrary to popular belief many 3-4 and 4-3 fronts are extremely similar. Just because these are changes in personnel groupings doesn’t mean they change the system being played. The Cowboys already bounce between odd and even fronts frequently, using under, over and BEAR looks, including a 3-3-5. It wouldn’t be a fundamental change for Zimmer’s defense per say, just an effort to avoid plugging a round hole with a square peg.

Under this proposal the pressure players would come largely from the linebacker ranks. Dallas’ most explosive player, DeMarvion Overshown, could man an outside LB spot and serve as the chief pass rusher. The other outside LB spot could be filled by someone like Carl Lawson who has played that very role in both the NFL and back at Auburn.

Mazi Smith and Linval Joseph would rotate as the nose tackle and Osa Odighizuwa looks perfectly capable of being a playmaking defensive end. The other DE spot could be handled by a number of players including Kneeland and Golston. As 3-4 DEs they wouldn’t need to be the explosive players Parsons and Lawrence were because the playmaking roles would be on the edge LBs.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2024/09/30/cowboys-defensive-personnel-formation-3-4-front/

With all the injuries in the secondary and line, the linebackers may be the top positional group on defense.

Kumala808

Reaction score
cowboys best defense will have to be their offense scoring more than a fg. If the front office don't make moves, the offense is going to have carry the load, but from what we have seen so far. It doesn't like that will be the case.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don’t know how they replace Law and Micah. I can’t offer any type of insight on that.

They can’t. We’re pretty much boned until they get back. Have to hope the rest of the team covers for their loss…… which I don’t think can happen.

We legit lost our top 3 DE’s when you include Sam Williams.

I just don’t see how you overcome that. It’s going to create a major liability that the rest of the team has to try and overcome.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not sure why you guys keep bringing up Gregory. It's pretty clear Gregory does not want to play football anymore. And even if he came back, who's to say he won't do something stupid again and get suspended. I'd rather not.
That's perfectly fine for anyone not to want Randy Gregory back. I respectfully disagree simply if he's still in shape and is willing to come back, we could use his playing ability.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
we need more pass rush anyway so if we could pick someone up that would be good
a solid mostly run defending end also should not really be that hard to get
we didn't have a good pass rush when our guys are here, we need MORE when they're here!!!!

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Best not to think about “replacing” D Law. He is a complete player and your best edge run defender.

I would look for the best run stopping edge DE sitting on someone’s PS and bring him in.

Gonna have to dial up some creative blitzes to get pressure, but adding a guy who can at least set the edge can stop the bleeding somewhat.

There isn’t a passrusher sitting out there that is gonna fix this.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I don't think they will try to replace Micah. His injury is relatively short term. Plus good pass rushers aren't sitting at home waiting for calls.

Replacing Lawrence will be the biggest question long term.
yea, at this point its time to trust the scouting departments and hope next man up can in fact, man up.

sbark

Reaction score
You don't. No team can withstand the injuries that they've had at edge - and that includes Sam Williams.

They'll need to blitz to ever be able to apply pressure.
On target here

Position was short from the day Sam W. Got hurt....now problems compounded

Injury bug seems to hit a position
L.A.Rams O.Line etc

sbark

Reaction score
That's perfectly fine for anyone not to want Randy Gregory back. I respectfully disagree simply if he's still in shape and is willing to come back, we could use his playing ability.
Trying to think of a time JJ brought back a player who left on not the best of terms

Id grab a player off a P.squad, youth injection