Twitter: Cowboys release S Will Allen

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I agree with the moving Church to WLB part -- he could be a Brian Urlacher type pass defender from that position while still handling the run.

Except Urlacher had the size and strength to fight off blockers. Church does not.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
And to think it wasnt even a month ago we had posters advocating for this guy as the veteran presence we needed back there

I was one of them and it's more clear than ever that we do need veteran help back there. He just wasn't the right one. Then again, your crystal ball and vastly superior football knowledge already told you that. Im sure you also know exactly who we will add. Superbowl!

Verdict

Reaction score
I was never a Will Allen fan. Signing guys because they "have experience" but have never played at a high level is generally a mistake. I don't think they are giving much up by cutting Allen loose. The signing of Allen reminded me a lot of the Livings and Berny signings last year. At least the Cowboys seem hell bent on shaking things up. I am for cutting Allen even if all it does is send a message to the team that we aren't going to stand pat ... and govern your play accordingly.

Reactions: BAT

Titleist

Reaction score
I like the move. Allen was possibly worse than McCray was last year.

I take that back. At least Allen did not injure his own teammates.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Suprised he didn't really play bad at all this year . I think he could've been valuable down the stretch oh well .I say we release sims and promote holomon .

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bizarre move at this point. They must be bringing in another DB.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 3m
Was told the Cowboys have no interest in Richard Seymour. Team has no money for that after signing Brian Waters..but had no interest anyway

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 4m
@ImaCowboysDiva: Do you think Moore is resigning? @BryanBroaddus” no.
@TexasTopDog: @BryanBroaddus Jakar Hamilton?” @BryanBroaddus Could be.
@ApolloTheLeader: any chance of cowboys going take a shot at Amobi Okoye?” @BryanBroaddus No.
@wanderer316: cowboys got some players coming in for open spot?” @BryanBroaddus Probably fill within.

@landonmccool: Maybe Pellerin?” @BryanBroaddus No.
@DALCWBSMAVS: Any chance Dallas may bite on a Jarius Byrd trade or too much?” @BryanBroaddus Too much.
@jadysonjr: Do you think Holloman will see some Def playing time or still just a ST for now?” @BryanBroaddus I would play him.

Verdict

Reaction score
Bizarre move at this point. They must be bringing in another DB.

They demoted Allen and put Wilcox in early for a reason. None of us will probably ever know everything that precipitated that move, but even if they thought Wilcox could play we have been historically hesitant to play rookies. With that being said, Allen was never aworld beater. The most bizarre part of that is that it is my understanding that Allen's salary is fully guaranteed.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Ok, I know I'm gonna get blasted for this, but here goes nothing. I say trade for Jarius Byrd and, obviously, have him play FS. Keep Wilcox at SS, and do what the Giants did a couple of years ago and put Church basically at WLB, Lee at MLB, and Carter at SLB. GET YOUR BEST 11 ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Torch away.................LOL

You call them and tell them we'll trade our gimpy WR from Monmouth for their gimpy FS from Oregon.

links18

Reaction score
And to think it wasnt even a month ago we had posters advocating for this guy as the veteran presence we needed back there

People will parrot anything if its the company line at the moment

perrykemp

Reaction score
Church played his worst game of the season on Sunday.

Through 5 games, PFF has Church with a 115.8 QB rating when QBs throw against him (17 attempts, 13 completions, 1 TD allowed, 0 Interceptions, 1 Passes Defensed).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The backup Safeties are Heath and McCray.

I did notice that the new CB was active against Denver.