Cowboys should look to buy low on Trey Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Let McCarthy prove his real worth by developing Lance. Xs and Os + time management isn't really his strength.
So you feel the only way to prove his worth is by fixing a bust QB so far? I see you parrot every bodies talking points.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The 49ers are a trainwreck with their QBs. How are they not constantly slammed by the national media?
The only train wreck was Trey Lance. They won a lot of games with Jimmy G and even got to a Super Bowl with him. They just had a rookie QB, who was taken with the very last pick in the 2022 draft lead them to a championship game. They’ve had some real good teams with the QBs they’ve had.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
The only train wreck was Trey Lance. They won a lot of games with Jimmy G and even got to a Super Bowl with him. They just had a rookie QB, who was taken with the very last pick in the 2022 draft lead them to a championship game. They’ve had some really good teams with the QBs they’ve had.
I was not very clear. They are a trainwreck on how they have handled the position and the resources spent on the QBs.

RS12

Reaction score
Meh. As bad as I want to move on from the current QB, I dont see Lance as the answer. If Shanahan cant get it to work, I dont see it happening here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I was not very clear. They are a trainwreck on how they have handled the position and the resources spent on the QBs.
I really don’t know how you feel they’ve been a train wreck at the position when they’re consistently going deep in the playoffs and competing for a Super Bowl every year with the QBs they’ve had. The teams that have been a train wreck at the QB position are picking high in the draft every year always missing on QBs. San Francisco gave up a second round pick for Jimmy G and won a lot of games with him and even reached the Super Bowl. He had a 5-2 playoff record. They just had a rookie seventh round pick lead them to the NFC title game. The mistake they made was trading the farm for Trey Lance who many felt wasn’t worth the price. Despite coughing up a number of high draft picks for him they’re still winning. It was a big mistake, but it hasn’t set them back.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Mike McCarthy was instrumental in Aaron Rodgers development. Why not take a swing if the price is low? The Cowboys need a contingency option if Dak fails to get it done this year with a stacked team.

I don't know. Kyle Shanahan couldn't develop the kid. He's a really good coach. This isn't a situation where he was on a team that was constantly in flux. Shanahan is very involved in the offense. McDaniel was nominally the OC in Lance's first year but that was really about him being a white hot candidate for OC positions -- Shanny is the real OC and if he couldn't get anything out of Lance, I doubt there is much to get out of him.

CWR

Reaction score

Mike McCarthy was instrumental in Aaron Rodgers development. Why not take a swing if the price is low? The Cowboys need a contingency option if Dak fails to get it done this year with a stacked team.

I'd love to take a swing at developing that kid. Curious to know the cost though?

plymkr

Reaction score
You want a qb that couldnt beat out Sam Darnold?
For a 6th or a 7th rounder, yes. Can we get someone with his upside that late in the draft. I would say trade a late round pick and then see if we can develop him.

Flamma

Reaction score
You can't just insert Lance into any basic offense. He's strictly an RPO QB. He's a first read/run quarterback. A similar gameplan to what Philly does would help him along.

John813

Reaction score
But who would trade for him?

A team lower on the waiver wire.

Say Tampa wanted to acquire him but they made the postseason. They would risk all the pre non playoff teams claiming Lance.

I think his value is low but not a straight up cut, yet.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It’s not about how good or bad he played. At the end of the day he doesn’t have much football played at a high level. Maybe he’s the next Brady. I’m saying right now Trey Lance should be starting over Purdy and Darnold. Especially since Purdy is coming off a injury.
bahahhahahahahahhahahahahaha.... like I said, you werent watching, because Purdy played some damn good football. Bet you didnt think Romo should have started over Dak upon his return????

exciter

Reaction score

Lol, you think they’ll give him up, even swap for Randy Gregory?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I heard trey looked terrible in camp. They aren't moving on cause he's good. Dallas won't bring him in either way.

sbark

Reaction score
You can't just insert Lance into any basic offense. He's strictly an RPO QB. He's a first read/run quarterback. A similar gameplan to what Philly does would help him along.
Came out of a Pro set offense, Randy Hedberg Qb coach.
He should have stayed in school at least 1 more year...

Mr_437

Reaction score
Absolutely. Trey can learn from Dak and develop. Lance needed reps and development as a QB2 he could get that. Dallas will be looking for a QB in the draft next year, so why not get a former Top 5 pick and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.