Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign K Brandon Aubrey

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
and back on to Brett Maher, yes golfers experience the yips all the time, other kickers have experienced the exact same thing except for not with xpoint after attempts but with field goals they get what we call the yips and they get over it

they get back on track he has had all offseason to do so, all it was I guess in his mind is not having that little piece of grass or the marker and that's it you're making a big to do about nothing in my opinion. He literally made his last extra point and his last field goal against San Francisco.. He's on my short list to bring in immediately if any of these young guys start to struggle money Maher was just that last year the dude was near perfect..
I still don't understand why more teams don't carry a kicking coach. Coaches like Fassel don't really know a lot about kicking. Fassel is a former wide receiver who understands special teams but it really takes a former kicker or someone who has worked with them exclusively to understand kickers. Any player can benefit from having someone else who understands his position examining his process to help him avoid or fix any yips. (Of course, I'm sure kickers get outside consultation when needed.)

blueblood70

Reaction score
I still don't understand why more teams don't carry a kicking coach. Coaches like Fassel don't really know a lot about kicking. Fassel is a former wide receiver who understands special teams but it really takes a former kicker or someone who has worked with them exclusively to understand kickers. Any player can benefit from having someone else who understands his position examining his process to help him avoid or fix any yips. (Of course, I'm sure kickers get outside consultation when needed.)
well either way

they have a option to pay for their own kicking coach

I mean it is one player if he feels he needs to work on his game, he can work out with other kickers or get a kicking coach,

Prescott pays for his own quarterback coach, his offseason coaches that he works out with and I'm sure he has his own trainers too outside of the star during the offseason,

I realize he makes a lot more money but still if these guys want to get better, they can hire their own coach.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I bet he's on the back burner yes Maher had a great season I agree I've said that since day one I'm on your side he has been a better kicker than Robbie gold the last two seasons he's about 90% average so yes Brett Maher had a meltdown mentally yet we don't know where he's at he should at least be brought in to the competition maybe when preseason starts order they have them out there ready to go if these two dudes don't look good in games.. For sure I don't understand why he's not part of the competition at least I wouldn't resign him I would let him compete show the coaches that he doesn't need the marker it's not in his head etcetera etcetera.

The contingencies are guys like Brett Maher but also Mason Crosby and Robbie Gould are still out there there's no need to hit the panic button give all the reps to the young guys see how it shakes out before game one these veterans are the type that you can just go grab the week of the game and they can just run out there and go it's not like they need to learn the playbook
They don’t need Maher to compete in training camp. If the training camp kickers fail in camp, the Cowboys can still sign Maher just before the season, Luke they did last year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They don’t need Maher to compete in training camp. If the training camp kickers fail in camp, the Cowboys can still sign Maher just before the season, Luke they did last year.
Maybe they can get him before game one he might be gone to another team by then but yes I agree not in training camp but it's in preseason during live games these two young guys are struggling I might want to bring him back sooner than later or even considered Robbie gold or Mason Crosby.. But yes I agree no need to do that in training camp or early on but there will be a time they'll need to pull the rip cord.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Cowboys are gonna miss having a guy who can kick 60+ yarders.
I’m sure the relief not having to second guess the call on every gimme XP point or 4th down situation in the Playoffs will make up for it. :facepalm:

rambo2

Reaction score
I’m sure the relief not having to second guess the call on every gimme XP point or 4th down situation in the Playoffs will make up for it. :facepalm:
The new guy does have the leg strength to kick from 60 if needed.

gimmesix

Reaction score
well either way

they have a option to pay for their own kicking coach

I mean it is one player if he feels he needs to work on his game, he can work out with other kickers or get a kicking coach,

Prescott pays for his own quarterback coach, his offseason coaches that he works out with and I'm sure he has his own trainers too outside of the star during the offseason,

I realize he makes a lot more money but still if these guys want to get better, they can hire their own coach.
True. As a team owner, though, I would want to provide that resource. We have in the past with Steve Hoffman and Chris Boniol, but I guess we didn't value it greatly.

CowboyJ70

Reaction score
Besides accuracy, I believe touchback percentage was a deciding factor in signing Aubrey. Aubrey had a 10.0% touchback average. Coghlin 6.8%. And surprisingly Luis Aguilar 0.0%

gimmesix

Reaction score
Besides accuracy, I believe touchback percentage was a deciding factor in signing Aubrey. Aubrey had a 10.0% touchback average. Coghlin 6.8%. And surprisingly Luis Aguilar 0.0%
Thanks for sharing that. FG/PAT accuracy is most important, but you also want to limit field position as much as possible.

Mannix

Reaction score
If I ever decide to identify as a female, I'd like to be called Aubrey....pretty name. ***Thought bubble escape*** :muttley:

shabazz

Reaction score
I would have also gotten Maher a sport’s psychiatrist after he missed those 4 extra points in a row…..and I’m not kidding either.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I would have also gotten Maher a sport’s psychiatrist after he missed those 4 extra points in a row…..and I’m not kidding either.
I would have told him to quit kicking them from the the left hash mark. There is also a center hash and right hash and for a right footed kicker those are the same motion as a long fg. Kicking from the left, right footed kickers try to chip it to the right because there is a natural angle when that close to the goal.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think there is a good chance that Aubrey makes the team.
Yeah, I don't trust Vizcaino. Hard to say I trust a soccer player who has only recently converted to football much more, but I like what I've seen from him.

Maybe it's because Vizcaino missed five extra points over the first seven weeks with the Chargers in 2021 after winning the starting job. He is 9 of 10 on FGs, though, in NFL games.