Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign K Brandon Aubrey

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no talk, no opinions. Wow

I heard hes very good but who knows.
Earning all-USFL honors in 2022 and helping lead the Stallions to a USFL title in 2023. This past season, Aubrey converted on 14 of 15 field goals and all 35 PATs.
What is the distance for PAT's in the USFL? Same as NFL?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Aguilar kicked 8 fgs in one game including a 55 game winner.
It was a great one game performance, for sure. But the rest of the season, obviously, he didn't have the same level of consistency as Coghlin, Sciba and Aubrey showed.

Frankly, I'd still re-sign Maher. Any kicker who makes over 90 percent of his tries in the NFL should get an automatic ticket to camp no matter if they had a PAT meltdown.

I know Maher is still out there, but that doesn't mean he will be by the time we realize the kickers we have aren't good enough (if that happens). I'm all for contingencies.
We all know the drill... kicking is 90% psychological. I don't rule it out. It may be that he got it all out of his system, and he'll be even better in his next opportunity. But all things being equal, there's going to come that day when he misses a short kick, and his next kick after that will be super stressful... do you want that to be in a Cowboys uni or some other team's uni? I think it's best for both parties if it's in some other team's uni. I'm sure I'm not the first to say that.

Mason Crosby and Robbie Gould
Think both of those guys' leg strength could be seen as a growing issue.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What is the distance for PAT's in the USFL? Same as NFL?
I don't know I don't watch the USFL but wouldn't that be the same for all these guys mentioned in this place? I mean there were three kickers mentioned all from the USFL. so it doesn't really matter, and I believe the Cowboys know they're going to work these guys all the way into preseason and they got guys like Mason Crosby, Brett Maher, Robbie Gould they could just fall back on anytime somebody will be out there if you really want to go back to a veteran. But I'd rather have some young fresh legs someone with some enthusiasm and not hitting the cap hard.

But I do believe without looking it up this is not the Canadian Football League or European league the USFL plays on the exact same fields and the same goal posts and all the same rules as what we play in the NFL at least that's what I get from reading some things in the past I I don't think their brand of football has anything different in it they're not like the XFL trying to be different..

blueblood70

Reaction score
It was a great one game performance, for sure. But the rest of the season, obviously, he didn't have the same level of consistency as Coghlin, Sciba and Aubrey showed.

We all know the drill... kicking is 90% psychological. I don't rule it out. It may be that he got it all out of his system, and he'll be even better in his next opportunity. But all things being equal, there's going to come that day when he misses a short kick, and his next kick after that will be super stressful... do you want that to be in a Cowboys uni or some other team's uni? I think it's best for both parties if it's in some other team's uni. I'm sure I'm not the first to say that.

Think both of those guys' leg strength could be seen as a growing issue.
I'm sorry but Brett Maher psychologically had all offseason away from it but literally he made his last extra point and his last field goal against San Francisco then he's had all offseason again to work on the no markers on the field etcetera I'm pretty sure he's a professional that he can adjust.

I'm not sure what you mean by leg strength who you talking about this Aubrey kid is a ex professional soccer player and hes kick some 50 yarders and he's young I'm pretty sure he's not going to have any issues with leg strength anymore than the veterans Robbie Gould is pretty much finished as a long field goal kicker and he doesn't even want to kick off tell me these veterans are going to be better than some young kid with fresh legs that's played soccer professionally I'd say he's got pretty strong legs I'm betting...

Lastly on that same note I don't wanna kick her that isn't so known for being able to nail 60 yarders that our coaches go to it too often Jason Garrett used to do that all the time just give up and almost line up for a 60 yarder instead of trying a couple shots at the end zone I prefer them to not have as much faith in their field goal kicker for those long field goals and force them to come up with better plays to get a first down or a touchdown..

_sturt_

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he's a professional that he can adjust
Not sure you've experienced anything like what Maher experienced. Some people go through life, thankfully, not having to.

But it's not quite so simple.

This gets away from football and into some of the weeds of psychology. When a person begins to entertain self-doubt, it can be like water pressure building up behind a fire hydrant... the capacity to contain the situation is there, but if the plumbing is compromised, there's also a chance of a cascading effect mentally and the person experiences something like if you saw a hydrant explode. And it can creep up on a person from out of nowhere.

To be sure, there are some things a counselor would try to do with a client to help him/her build a mental wall to stave off the surge of self-doubt. And there are some coping practices a counselor would try to teach so that, if the wall fails, there's some potential to mitigate that cascading effect and allow the person to manage in spite of that surge of self-doubt.

But you don't just "adjust" and that's it. The memory of what happened is there. It doesn't have to mean the memory shuts you down, but to the degree you can shake things up so that life is something different than what it was when the memory was made, that tends to be more helpful.

I'm not sure what you mean by leg strength who you talking about
That appears to be true... you don't know what I mean and who I'm talking about.

Where did you get the idea I was speaking about Aubrey? Your browser must be playing games, or your eyes.

Please re-read.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
1200px-CINvBST_2018-06-13_-_Brandon_Aubrey_%2843565763110%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

Aubrey played in 76 marches for Norte Dame’s soccer club in his college days.

movaughn88

Reaction score

Regardless of anything else, I like the ball flight, a nice "draw" in golf terms. I think that's a soccer style influence but I'm not going to pretend I know more.

I never loved having someone to entice us to kick 63 yarders all the time anyway.

rambo2

Reaction score
Aubrey was one of the guys on my Spring leagues list - there are a few others - so I'm glad to see him being brought to camp.

I'd rather have a guy I'm confident will make kicks from 50 in, than a scud missile who can hit from 60 but miss extra points.
Aubrey actually can kick 60 yarders too. He can also kick the ball deep on kickoffs .

gtb1943

Reaction score
IT would be foolish to count on Maher going into the season. All this blather about being a professional is just that. This is NOT THE FIRST TIME MAHER HAS SPIT THE BIT.

Time to move on.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not sure you've experienced anything like what Maher experienced. Some people go through life, thankfully, not having to.

But it's not quite so simple.

This gets away from football and into some of the weeds of psychology. When a person begins to entertain self-doubt, it can be like water pressure building up behind a fire hydrant... the capacity to contain the situation is there, but if the plumbing is compromised, there's also a chance of a cascading effect mentally and the person experiences something like if you saw a hydrant explode. And it can creep up on a person from out of nowhere.

To be sure, there are some things a counselor would try to do with a client to help him/her build a mental wall to stave off the surge of self-doubt. And there are some coping practices a counselor would try to teach so that, if the wall fails, there's some potential to mitigate that cascading effect and allow the person to manage in spite of that surge of self-doubt.

But you don't just "adjust" and that's it. The memory of what happened is there. It doesn't have to mean the memory shuts you down, but to the degree you can shake things up so that life is something different than what it was when the memory was made, that tends to be more helpful.

That appears to be true... you don't know what I mean and who I'm talking about.

Where did you get the idea I was speaking about Aubrey? Your browser must be playing games, or your eyes.

Please re-read.
Actually I knew we were talking about Aubrey and I'm telling you the dude is a young ex professional soccer player he's also kicked already as a professional and you the USFL and looks like he's got plenty of leg a little bit of help from bones special teams, he'll be fine..

the guy who's losing his legs is Robbie gould ,Mason Crosby guys like that are older veterans we already know have issues it starts with the kickoffs and then the long field goals but again I'm not going to depend on my field goal kicker and not try to get first downs and touchdowns and start kicking 60 yard field goals as the norm...

so I'd rather have a guy that has range that he can kick some 50-54 yard field goals but that that's his maximum that's fine

how about move the damn offense

and back on to Brett Maher, yes golfers experience the yips all the time, other kickers have experienced the exact same thing except for not with xpoint after attempts but with field goals they get what we call the yips and they get over it

they get back on track he has had all offseason to do so, all it was I guess in his mind is not having that little piece of grass or the marker and that's it you're making a big to do about nothing in my opinion. He literally made his last extra point and his last field goal against San Francisco.. He's on my short list to bring in immediately if any of these young guys start to struggle money Maher was just that last year the dude was near perfect..

Toro9

Reaction score
93% on FGs, 100 on XPs in 2022 season in USFL. Might be lacking on long FGs. 49 long. No college stats on footballdb.com
Did he not play in college??

rambo2

Reaction score
93% on FGs, 100 on XPs in 2022 season in USFL. Might be lacking on long FGs. 49 long. No college stats on footballdb.com
Did he not play in college??
He played soccer in college. No football in college.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Aubrey actually can kick 60 yarders too. He can also kick the ball deep on kickoffs .
I didn't see anything on his kickoffs, so that's good to hear. Need to get those into the end zone.