Twitter: Cowboys sign Marvin Austin after workout (Post #36)..will wear #90

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Dogpile if you want to. My point has been that if we can save money by replacing ware and still get the production, then we need to explore that.

How do we save money? Do you understand the cap issues that a trade or release of Ware would cause?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Guy is super talented and was the #1 recruit in high school in the entire nation. He may never play a down for us, but little risk involved with churning the bottom of your roster and looking ahead to what we need to do in the next year's draft by sifting through the remains of the league.

fifaguy

Reaction score
No, I think it's great. This off-season/season has really restored some faith in the FO and their ability to find talent.

I love that we aren't standing pat anymore. If a guy gets injured, stops producing, etc etc we are making the right moves it seems.

jnday

Reaction score
I am a huge Selvie fan and was one of his advocates to sign him in the first place. But even George Selvie is not Demarcus Ware. And the comparison is even more ridiculous if we are talking a healthy Demarcus Ware.

You cannot replace Ware's importance to the team, never mind production, with a guy off the street. Not sure if you know this, but Ware has only missed ONE game in his career. And even when he is not playing, he is coaching up his teammates on the sidelines at an away game. You don't just throw away a team leader, a sure fire ROH and HOF enshrinee because you think he's humpty dumpty and can't be fixed.

Ware is not missing a limb, nor have we been told that his injury is career ending. Yet all the so called fans are clamoring to get rid of one of the ALL time GREAT Cowboys, never mind the NFL, because he got hurt, or missed a game, or has not reached double digits sacks as quickly as you would like.

And FYI, even Marinelli cannot pull multiple George Selvies out of his butt. Let's give SOME credit to Selvie, especially since we have have been especially frugal in handing any out to Ware.

I think it comes down to a question of Ware's production verses his salary. It is not hard to replace his production at this time. Ware is on the downside if his career and the last thing this team needs is another huge salary cap hit that comes from injured player. It comes a time to let these players go. This could be another Rat type of deal if Jerry allows it.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Well I hope his mindset of desire, motivation and work ethic has changed.

Common Sense

Reaction score
That's why I said if we can save money

IF you can get the production. You can't do either of those things. That's why people think it's ridiculous.

If my Chevy Malibu gave me the production of a Lamborghini for the price I'm paying, I'd be all set, wouldn't I?

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but it will tough seeing number 90 without clenching my teeth a little.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pick Analysis: Jerry Reese doesn't get enough credit for his willingness to add talent to positions of strength. Austin is a legitimate first-round talent with the potential to be a dominant interior player in their one-gap scheme. His combination of strength, power and athleticism is off the charts, and he should be a terrific contributor as part of a deep defensive line rotation.

Overview

Austin has first round talent, but he did not play football last season and there are concerns about his character and work ethic. He appears to be a prototypical 3-technique defensive tackle, as he is a big boy with outstanding athleticism. He has great feet and the lateral agility to move quickly down the line and make tackles on the edge. He uses his quick heavy hands to shed blocks and has the closing burst to make plays in the backfield. Austin's off the field issues may prevent him from being a first round pick, but he could be a major steal in round two.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/marvin-austin?id=2495114

Thanks for posting this Dooms. Lett and Marinelli have their hands full but this kid does have talent. Need to get that head screwed on right.

Stinger_Splash

Reaction score
Now we need take a chance on Sam Montgomery. I saw this kid at LSU. He was damn good. Ron Marinelli could motivate him to play. He was better in the 4-3 DE in LSU anyway. He would be a perfect DE for our 43 defense.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I think it comes down to a question of Ware's production verses his salary. It is not hard to replace his production at this time. Ware is on the downside if his career and the last thing this team needs is another huge salary cap hit that comes from injured player. It comes a time to let these players go. This could be another Rat type of deal if Jerry allows it.

Ware is injured for one and playing DE in a new scheme. Is he at his peak, maybe not but he's certainly not done nor is his production and presence as easily replaceable as some of you seem to think.

Unbelieveable how much rope a guy like Spencer gets after ONE pro bowl season while Ware has one missed game or a couple poor games and now it's time to cut bait. I'm at a loss for words when a guy like Rat (who I really liked) who's had multiple injury shortened or obviously poor seasons is used to rationalize getting rid of Ware who has been an absolute sack producing stud and defensive god year in year out injuries be damned since his second season. SMH

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
My Giants fan friends told me he was more into the football celeb life than football. Knock on him was that he was lazy and not motivated.

I just hope he doesn't bring that bad attitude and infect the blue collar mentality of this "no name" DLine.

I don't think Rod and Hatcher (and the other players) will let that happen.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
I think this guy needs Leon's Lett's lessons from personal experience and Marinelli's coaching. I predict that he will excell.

jnday

Reaction score
Ware is injured for one and playing DE in a new scheme. Is he at his peak, maybe not but he's certainly not done nor is his production and presence as easily replaceable as some of you seem to think.

Unbelieveable how much rope a guy like Spencer gets after ONE pro bowl season while Ware has one missed game or a couple poor games and now it's time to cut bait. I'm at a loss for words when a guy like Rat (who I really liked) who's had multiple injury shortened or obviously poor seasons is used to rationalize getting rid of Ware who has been an absolute sack producing stud and defensive god year in year out injuries be damned since his second season. SMH

It is not hard to match his current production. Ware is going down. Is it wise to pay for past production? I think not. This is a business . There is no loyalty among the players or the teams. I had rather get rid of him a year early than be stuck with him a year late. It is bad business to overpay just because Ware was great at one time. His injury situation has been getting worse every year. It will come a time that he is just not worth the cap hit and that time is getting closer.