NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Will Hernandez is going to be a pick

I can see us trading back up into late 1st or early 2nd

3 picks in the top 50

John813

Reaction score
In minicamp I'll bet we'll see some musical chairs at the LG and Rt spots.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is safe to assume that they won't move Collins as speculated. This contract pretty much makes that so.

If it didn't work out with Fleming, they are going to waste a whole camp with Collins at guard then jerk him back to RT? I don't think that is in the cards.

This is them paying for a swing tackle/draft insurance more than renting a starting RT for a year.

I tend to agree with yiu, but it then begs the question:

Who is this team's current starter at left guard?

tm1119

Reaction score
Odd that there wasn't more of a market for Fleming. The rest of the league must think he sucks.

Exactly this...and with the Cowboys track record of signing free agent as of late we should all be scared if this guy is given a starting job right away

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Fleming's contract for a young player with starting experience is pretty solid if you compare it to like contracts. For example, the Texans gave RT Breno Giacomini a one year $2.75M deal and he was 31 years old last year.
Up to 3.5m is backup money

LCollins is already signed for much more

Let CGreen, Looney, Draft Pick, Martin? fight it out for LG

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Best case is Fleming never sees the field.

I don't think he comes here without at least the promise of being able to contend for a starting job. I don't think Dallas made him any promises, but it's got a job open on the line and I'm sure Fleming, with his starting experience and success after settling into starting for the Patriots, believes he'll be given a fair shot at it.

I think it's naive to believe he came here just to be a backup.

garyv

Reaction score
I was hoping it was a 2 Year Deal so we aren't having to deal with this Depth issue next year !!!

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
My guess is that Collins is the LG day 1. Fleming is the RT and we will draft a potential starter in the 3rd or 4th rounds to groom for next year. We would also have the option to re-sign Fleming if the draft pick is not ready. Fleming came to Dallas on a 1 year deal so he could be part of a good OL that features the best back in Football. IF Zeke regains his form and leads the league in Rushing, that will go a long way to help Fleming get paid next year if he is the starting RT.

phildadon86

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. There is a shortage of good OL and he's out there for a while. He's not the answer.
So because he only visited us. Hes not good? There are writers saying this guy would have been a steal for under 6 million.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It is safe to assume that they won't move Collins as speculated. This contract pretty much makes that so.

If it didn't work out with Fleming, they are going to waste a whole camp with Collins at guard then jerk him back to RT? I don't think that is in the cards.

This is them paying for a swing tackle/draft insurance more than renting a starting RT for a year.

IMO, Fleming signed here to get his value up and sign a Jeremy Parnell type deal next season. I think he signed based on starting not being a swing tackle.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So because he only visited us. Hes not good? There are writers saying this guy would have been a steal for under 6 million.

Writers? Whoa.

What did the GMs around the league have to say? He just signed for 1 year and "up to" 3.5 million.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO, Fleming signed here to get his value up and sign a Jeremy Parnell type deal next season. I think he signed based on starting not being a swing tackle.

Agreed. He expects to start and really unless Dallas adds a significant prospect in the draft he would have to start. The other options are train wrecks. This isn't hard to figure out.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I tend to agree with yiu, but it then begs the question:

Who is this team's current starter at left guard?

From what I read on Fleming, I'm not sure he would be a good option there. It sounds like he has some troubles with second level blocking, although he would be stout at the point of attack and a plus in pass blocking. It's possible, though, he would give us similar to what we had in Leary, which wouldn't be bad.

If Fleming is out at that position and we're not considering moving Collins, then our options at left guard are very questionable IMO. Martin appears to have some pretty good flaws that keep him from being an ideal candidate and Looney is a decent backup.

If there's no plan for Fleming or Collins to man the position, then it remains a pressing need. But that would be investing more resources into the line and ignoring other pressing needs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From what I read on Fleming, I'm not sure he would be a good option there. It sounds like he has some troubles with second level blocking, although he would be stout at the point of attack and a plus in pass blocking. It's possible, though, he would give us similar to what we had in Leary, which wouldn't be bad.

If Fleming is out at that position and we're not considering moving Collins, then our options at left guard are very questionable IMO. Martin appears to have some pretty good flaws that keep him from being an ideal candidate and Looney is a decent backup.

If there's no plan for Fleming or Collins to man the position, then it remains a pressing need.

If Fleming is an option to start, I think it makes more sense to play him at tackle and move Collins. Collins would be amuch better guard than Fleming in my opinion.

But if they're not moving Collins, that tells me that Fleming is the much-needed swing tackle insurance policy.

And kudos to this team for fixing 2017's biggest mistake.
:clap:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Maybe, he just wanted to play for the Cowboys.
That's why it's called free agency and not forced agency. Of course he wanted to play for the Cowboys. With all this winning we've been doing, why not be a Cowboy? :rolleyes: