Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign OT Cameron Fleming

revospeed

Reaction score
If we're moving Collins back to guard, and putting Fleming at tackle, we still need to get a swing tackle in the draft. Chaz Green is a bum who should be bagging groceries.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Correct. If he was as good as Cooper last year it would be the highlight of his career.

I'm getting Bill Nagy/David Arkin flashbacks.

I was thinking more Nate Livings level. Maybe somewhere between that and Mackenzy Bernadeau, which is fine for a backup.

Maybe he proves to be better than that, but I don't think we can count on it.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Flemming is hoping to get a big deal. He hasn't had one yet as a player. If there is anyplace to have a great year and sign a big deal...Dallas has to be a top 5 destination for an offensive lineman. Have a great year with strong teammates around you and some of that glow will fall to you.

See Parnell, Jermey

gimmesix

Reaction score
It will downgrade 2 positions on the line if you move Lael back to OG and start Fleming at RT. Additionally, if Smith misses time then you have to move around the whole line (Lael back to RT and Fleming to LT...)

Alternatively, you can have a potential downgrade in LG (or a possible upgrade depending on the draft), a position in-between to all-pros, and if Smith misses time you plug in Fleming without having to change-up the whole line.

This is one reason I think it makes more sense to let Fleming compete for starting left guard. If Smith goes out, Fleming slides over and Martin or Looney tries to keep LG from being the disaster LT was when we had to use a backup.

If we put Collins at LG, though, it's possible that he could do the same thing with him, sliding him to LT in a pinch. We just haven't seen him at left tackle to know for sure.

cowboyec

Reaction score
If we're moving Collins back to guard, and putting Fleming at tackle, we still need to get a swing tackle in the draft. Chaz Green is a bum who should be bagging groceries.
in the event Smith gets hurt...maybe Fleming then moves over to the LT and Collins moves out to RT.
Martin then moves in at OG.
Fleming is used to that coming from NE.

aikemirv

Reaction score
It is safe to assume that they won't move Collins as speculated. This contract pretty much makes that so.

If it didn't work out with Fleming, they are going to waste a whole camp with Collins at guard then jerk him back to RT? I don't think that is in the cards.

This is them paying for a swing tackle/draft insurance more than renting a starting RT for a year.

Yeah, this looks like Tyron Smith insurance policy. The policy with Chaz Green did not pay off when the Hummer was damaged!

Gameover

Reaction score
Sorry wallowers, I know you were hoping the Pats would swoop in and steal this guy! You’ll have to find another reason to wallow

“All In”

Reactions: CWR

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
This is one reason I think it makes more sense to let Fleming compete for starting left guard. If Smith goes out, Fleming slides over and Martin or Looney tries to keep LG from being the disaster LT was when we had to use a backup.

If we put Collins at LG, though, it's possible that he could do the same thing with him, sliding him to LT in a pinch. We just haven't seen him at left tackle to know for sure.

I could get down with that if Fleming can play inside, but I'm not sure he can. Everyone assumes that linemen can just switch positions, but it's far from the truth. Even switching OG sides is difficult.

I want no part of Collins at LT.

Personally, I think we'll have a rookie at LG.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
in the event Smith gets hurt...maybe Fleming then moves over to the LT and Collins moves out to RT.
Martin then moves in at OG.
Fleming is used to that coming from NE.

I think Green hangs around one more year as the backup to Smith at LT.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I could get down with that if Fleming can play inside, but I'm not sure he can. Everyone assumes that linemen can just switch positions, but it's far from the truth. Even switching OG sides is difficult.

That can be true, but usually there's more success moving from tackle to guard than guard to tackle, and a lot of college tackles get projected inside as pros because of it. The fact that Fleming already understands technique needed for playing both sides of the line is a plus.

From what I've read, Fleming makes up for not having the greatest feet by using his size, strength and technique well at tackle. I think those things could work well for him inside as long as we aren't constantly asking him to pull and hit moving targets.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was thinking more Nate Livings level. Maybe somewhere between that and Mackenzy Bernadeau, which is fine for a backup.

Maybe he proves to be better than that, but I don't think we can count on it.
As long as he's nowhere near Rob Pettiti level, I'm good with it!! LOL :laugh:

gimmesix

Reaction score

Wasn't Collins a left tackle in college? I think part of the reason it took him a while to figure out right tackle because he had only ever played on the left side.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He has played at OG in his career, although I don't think in the last 2 seasons.

gimmesix

Reaction score

Like I said, I just hope they commit one way or the other, like they did with Collins at tackle last year. If we're going to put him at guard and Fleming at tackle or vice versa, let's not have the players spend their time working at both positions. Put them at a spot and let them refine their work there before giving them snaps anywhere else.

gimmesix

Reaction score
As long as he's nowhere near Rob Pettiti level, I'm good with it!! LOL :laugh:

That's definitely what we got last year from Green and Bell.

I'm not as down on Green, though, as some are. I believe we need to put him back at tackle only and let our new OL coach see if he can get him back to how he was a couple of years ago. If he can't, then we move on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He should be at least comparable to Cooper last year which I am fine with.

Martin? Not close from his pro film.

Moving Lael again after a strong finish last year would be disastrous to his development and the continuity of the line.

Thinking Martin could just step in could be far worse.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score

I dont get it.
If they signed looney and are about to sign Martin - why are they still talking about moving Collins ?
With what they now have, they can let the draft fall to them, and if a guard or tackle is the best player on their board they can take them. But are not forced into doing so ....