Twitter: Cowboys Signing Aldon Smith to 1-yr/$4M Deal (must be reinstated first)

Whyjerry

Reaction score
This organization is absolutely terrible. This guy has multiple DUI's, guilty of a hit and run and a domestic violence arrest where he held a woman against her will and bit her wrists to injure her.

I hate this organization with a passion and I can't wait to watch it fall flat on its face if and when we have football again.

This is just terrible. The organization that forced Greg Hardy on it's fan base now pulls this nonsense.

All because he is cheap which says it all about the Jones family. I hope this team goes 3-13.

Lol. I love some good old Cowboys bashing rants.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aldon Smith’s contract with the Cowboys does not include any guaranteed money at signing, but once he is reinstated by the NFL, he will receive $90,000. Thirty days after reinstatement, he will get another $50,000. When he shows up for training camp, he will receive $100,000, another $100,000 after two preseason games and $100,000 at the end of the preseason. If he does not make the 53-man roster, the Cowboys would be on the hook for $440,000.

More on Aldon Smith’s contract: He will earn a $910,000 base salary and $40,625 every time he is on the active gameday roster, totaling $650,000. He has incentives totaling $2 million. If he reaches eight sacks, he will get $500,000, 10 sacks will earn him $1 million, 12 sacks equals $1.5 million and 14 sacks would net him $2 million. In addition to the bonus money, it equals a one-year deal worth up to $4 million.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

ksg811

Reaction score
Aldon Smith’s contract with the Cowboys does not include any guaranteed money at signing, but once he is reinstated by the NFL, he will receive $90,000. Thirty days after reinstatement, he will get another $50,000. When he shows up for training camp, he will receive $100,000, another $100,000 after two preseason games and $100,000 at the end of the preseason. If he does not make the 53-man roster, the Cowboys would be on the hook for $440,000.

More on Aldon Smith’s contract: He will earn a $910,000 base salary and $40,625 every time he is on the active gameday roster, totaling $650,000. He has incentives totaling $2 million. If he reaches eight sacks, he will get $500,000, 10 sacks will earn him $1 million, 12 sacks equals $1.5 million and 14 sacks would net him $2 million. In addition to the bonus money, it equals a one-year deal worth up to $4 million.

i

Cap hit of $1.35 million if he makes the team. The rest of the money is considered not likely to be earned and does not hit the cap. Any incentives he hits will be reconciled at the end of the year and rolled over into next year’s cap space. Low risk high reward deal.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Why do the Cowboys keep signing these types of players. Does winning trump all. This just tarnishes the Cowboys image . And what if he doesn't pan out and we don't get the vaunted W's . All we have done is tarnish the Cowboys image . Im sorry...I don't want Smith on the team. We can be and are better than that. JMO

fivetwos

Reaction score
Hearing what Jay Glazer had to say on TMZ a while back and knowing the things and people he are involved with. This is a very good signing for us
We all hope it is, and there isnt much for the team to lose here, but let's be careful....Smith and Glazer are buddies. He sold him back into the league. Let's not get overly excited.

I'll say this...he chose the right team. If he has anything at all left he can easily win a starting spot.

That's a testament to the DL talent on the team.

I suppose they need to take these type of risks. Tough to argue this team is gonna need contributions from unlikely sources and hope it all meshes together as something.

fivetwos

Reaction score

i

Heres to hoping Smith makes his full 4 million!!

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

i

Can't argue with that contract. Pretty much a no lose situation.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

i

I wish every NFL contract could be similar to this where the team actually could pay for production instead of some market value that may end up not holding true.

ESisback

Reaction score
Reinstated first? Goody’s not gonna pass him AND Gregory. Hope the contract had an out based on reinstatement.

Apologies if someone cleared this up already. Just responding to the OP!

Last edited:

Daillest88

Reaction score
You either know how to rush the passer or you don't. He's a young 30 years old, get him into camp and get him in shape. If he's truly rehabbed it's a good signing and the chances of him and Gregory hanging out and relapsing is slim to none.
Yea it’s pretty much a rolando McClain situation.. if he isn’t worth a damn . He’s cut and no cap hit.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I like the structure of his deal--if he produces he will get rewarded with more pay. What a concept--this is how ALL of the contracts should be structured. imho

Skillit

Reaction score
FWIW, I did read a take that (provided he is salvageable / serviceable on the field ) said this move was basically to assist with draft flexibility and to avoid reaching *cough, Taco, cough*

If you get a look at him and he’s keeping in shape ( still a freak) and passing drug tests.....ok.

Not a fan of the guy or this signing, but at least I see something vs nothing.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
It's still crazy. I would have thought we'd sign AB before this guy. I forgot about him. I had to search him up and I was like wow, I remember this guy; he was a beast until he flushed his life down the toilet. I hope he comes back and plays at least 50% of what he used to. If he does, then this is a great signing.