Cowboys to Resign B Butler today

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Resigning Butler constitutes bringing them all back?

I can't even fathom the suggestion that signing Brice Butler is a desperation move. Maybe there is some realization that he has an element the receiving group is lacking, or maybe there is some other reason, but how can anyone actually believe that even if the Cowboys were desperate that they would consider Butler the solution?

It was kind of in jest, but "desperation" because they bring someone back(who left on bad terms) who Dak is familiar with. The offense continues to be dumbed down to fit our QB who may not be the future.

The only reason(s) for this move is because Dak has thrown to him before and that Butler is fast. He was a JAG here before and it won't be any different this time around IMO.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was kind of in jest, but "desperation" because they bring someone back(who left on bad terms) who Dak is familiar with. The offense continues to be dumbed down to fit our QB who may not be the future.

The only reason(s) for this move is because Dak has thrown to him before and that Butler is fast. He was a JAG here before and it won't be any different this time around IMO.

There is no reason to believe signing him would signify he will be anything more than the #4/5 receiver he was before, and for that low roster spot having some familiarity with the system and the QB is actually a good thing. I know fans like to think there is this soap opera going on, but I doubt very much that the team feels the animosity fans imagine.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1) Because there is no downside to bringing Gordon in, especially if its a late round pick with conditions to become say a 4th rounder.

2) He'd clearly be the most talented WR we have. He's a #1 elite level kind of WR, something we just don't have. How often do you get a chance to add a guy who could be a legit stud WR for cheap?

3) Worst case scenario, you trade a 5th or 6th round pick for him, he busts out and you just end up with the same WR corps you thought was good enough when the season began. Brice freaking Butler is a JAG. He's not solving anything.

So yeah, given the situation the Cowboys are in, Gordon is really a no brainer IMO (unless of course some team is dumb enough to want to give up like a 3rd or 2nd rounder for him....... then I'd pass.)

People need to stop acting like bringing a guy like Gordon in somehow changes the entire team chemistry, they have upheaval in the clubhouse and the team just falls apart at the seams.
:facepalm: It would be a big time fail on the organizations part for the reasons I listed.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Brice didn't?

Brice's issue with Dallas was a lot different than Dez's. Now, he got into it with Michael Irvin on twitter but Irvin is not on staff. Brice wanted more playing time and complained he was being underutilized. He was right. He never personally went after or called anyone on the staff out. I don't remember reading anything like that.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

The only ones who think Dak isnt the future of this team are fans like you. Everything from the team says Dak is the QB for this team.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The only ones who think Dak isnt the future of this team are fans like you. Everything from the team says Dak is the QB for this team.

I said "may not be" not "he isn't the future". The jury is still out yet fans like you annoint him early and drink the Jones' juice.....:cool:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I said "may not be" not "he isn't the future". The jury is still out yet fans like you annoint him early and drink the Jones' juice.....:cool:
IM not annointing him for anything except he's the QB now. And all this JOnes' juice talk is what it is. They own the team and do what they feel the direction they want to go. Wether you agree with it or not is pointless to lose sleep over. We're fans, so be a fan and stop worrying about things you dont have or will never have any control over. And i promise you you will enjoy games and ur team alot more. Or there are always 31 one other teams to root for.

Sydla

Reaction score
:facepalm: It would be a big time fail on the organizations part for the reasons I listed.

You gave zero legitimate reasons other than saying we have Gregory and some others who have their own issues. Which largely is meaningless.

Explain to me the downside. What's the real downside here that could throw this organization into a tail spin?

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't know, size maybe. He has 7" on Austin, so, maybe the size/speed combo is something they think would be a benefit.

Butler has a track record in the NFL. So I am not sure what kind of upgraded size/speed combo they would benefit from here.

Frankly, it's an odd signing if they go through with it (unless there is something like Williams getting suspended or they plan on cutting Hurns).

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Butler has a track record in the NFL. So I am not sure what kind of upgraded size/speed combo they would benefit from here.

Frankly, it's an odd signing if they go through with it (unless there is something like Williams getting suspended or they plan on cutting Hurns).

Granted it's a bit odd, but I don't think dramatically so as long as we remember it wouldn't be a signing for a major impact player. The track record would matter if we were talking about a guy expected to function as a top tier player, but not so much if just for an occasional player in a WR rotation. The comment about Hurns and Williams is interesting to me because both those thoughts crossed my mind too.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You gave zero legitimate reasons other than saying we have Gregory and some others who have their own issues. Which largely is meaningless.

Explain to me the downside. What's the real downside here that could throw this organization into a tail spin?

The downside would be if he had any more problems and got booted from football, and in the meantime by incorporating him it slowed the progress in Dak and the offense and the new receivers already on the team getting in sync. But I agree with you that saying it wouldn't send the team into a tail spin. Just a temporary progress hinderance.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'm beginning to warm up to this. Perhaps they cut one of those jag TEs (not named Rico) to accommodate. He and Dak had good rapport and he knows the system. Should slide right back in and give us yet another deep threat.
I would be pleased for him to be just a reliable possession receiver.

With his speed..

he will break some catches for big gains.

I think its hard to know.

becuz Dez was here he never got any extended oportunities.

I'm hopeful he publicly apologizes to anybody he offended with his previous statements and write it off as rhetoric about wanting a real chance at playing.

Now...

sign Dez back and I'm happy.

I can forgive Dez, too.

Give him an incentive contract that if he meets the stips..he gets his old money back.

I do not think the team made a good decision to do what they did without offering a rewritten deal with incentives instead of releasing him.

Just me.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dallas currently fields one of the league’s worst receiving units, as its depth chart is filled with complementary options such as Cole Beasley, Allen Hurns, Tavon Austin, Terrance Williams, Deonte Thompson, and rookie Michael Gallup. Through two games, Beasley leads the club in receptions (nine) and yards (86), while Austin is the only Cowboys receiver to catch a touchdown pass

I don't think our WR corps is that bad. Cole is good. Austin is a guy you have to account for. Gallup looks like he can play. Thompson has been solid. I see guys who get open and catch the ball. Butler will give us another deep threat.

I don't think that our WRs have limited the offense in any way so far. Austin's TD will force teams to keep their FS home deep to help over the top, instead of crowding the box. That's what we lacked last year (by not playing Butler enough).

Thompson and Austin are both deep threats who look like they can execute the short stuff. We're good. Stretch the field horizontally and vertically. Then let Beasley and a TE work the middle, though I'd really rather see Olawale as another run/block/catch threat than Swaim.

With a defense that is good and deep, we don't have to have the offense milking the clock to protect them. We can take deep shots.

We should be a run first team with Zeke, Dak, Olawale, Austin, with deep threats on the outside that keep teams honest, and competent WR play to convert 3rd downs.

I like our WRs. They got open against good DBs last night.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dak had some connection with Butler on deep balls. Maybe this helps, but we still won't have anyone that scares other teams' defenses away from stacking the box.

Let them not be scared, and watch Austin run past them for a TD.

You clear out the box by having deep threats. Austin, Butler, Thompson. Try and press man them without help, and they'll run by you.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
DnUzxs9U0AExiwD.jpg:large

That moment when you realize the Cowboys actually value Brice Butler more than Josh Gordon.