Signed by Cowboys Cowboys trade for DT Johnathan Hankins

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
According to some Raiders fans, he only played 30% of the snaps. I'm guessing he's in on 1st downs against the run.

I would think that's about right. Watkins has been playing about 30 percent the last two games. Bohanna has been mainly averaging in the 30s although he did get up to 40 percent in a couple of games. Same with Gallimore. Quinn really likes rotating those big guys in and out.

DaBoys12

Reaction score
I'm just messing with you. It's OK if you don't know him. It's not like he is Aaron Donald. I think you just got everybody going when you called him an UNKNOWN. He is a pretty well known player around the league. He may be just what we need to help with a weakness on run defense. He won't help in the passing game but he should be able to plug some holes and make it easier on our LBers when teams try to run. I am confident in saying that he is already our best run stuffing DT and he hasn't even played a game for us yet.

Nice post.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
10 years younger than peters and has a lot more left…plus he fills a role we have historically been very hesitant to invest in….this signals to me that jerry may be about to go all in….might be another move coming too
Peters is 40. He’s a freak. Haskins is 30. Old for a DT. This is not a go all in move. That would’ve been getting someone like Grady Jarrett.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Crawford was never an NT. He was a 3-tech and defensive end. You may be trying to be facetious about the fact that Marinelli did prefer smaller, quicker players even at NT, which was one of the problems with his system.

I was being facetious to make fun of him.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Busy day so just seeing this now.

Hankins was an absolute stud as a run defender with the Giants about 5 years ago. As far as I can recall he had a lot of injuries and hasn’t been that great the last few years but I haven’t seen him play at all this year. If he is half the run stopper he once was this will be a great boost to our run defense as a guy in our DT rotation. I guess the question is not what was he, but what is he now. Hopefully some gas left in the tank. If nothing else he is a big body that hopefully can clog the middle a little. I think Jerry is worried about the Eagles 4th and 1 alignment that we couldn’t seem to stop.

Creeper

Reaction score
Not sure why some are dogging this trade. They gave up a 6th for him and he costs them little against the CAP. The front office finally saw something we have seen for years - they needed a run stuffing pocket pushing DT - and they got one, or at least tried to. What we do not know is who else they may have pursued but couldn't pry loose from the other team. I think this guy is worth a try.

To be honest, I see all the Cowboys DTs as the same. None stand out. They are interchangeable pieces. The Cowboys think so too which is why the sat Gallimore for Watkins.

All Hankins has to do is take on his blocker and stand him up a few times a game. If he can do that, guys like Barr and LVE should be able to make a few tackles in the hole. Let's give him a chance to show us what he can or can't do. But even if he stinks they can still cut him and be no worse off than they are now.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He doesn’t seem to be that based on Raiders fans but maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

How do you work that out? He's coming from a Defense that's strong against the run (ranked 3 by yard, over 10 yards a game better than us), he's a 1/2 down DT in a Defense that Quinn continually rotates in/out.

Costs league min (or close to) and costs irreleveant 6th and 7th Rd picks. Win/win/win/win.....oh and it gives a kick up the @rse to our present young corp.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I would think that they will be trading one of their defensive tackles to make room for Hawkins.

That sounds reasonable, however, ala the Coop situation we've kind of shown our hand.....unless a team phones us asking about the availability of a 3-Tech DT.

I suppose we could frame it as. We're happy carrying: Hill, Osa, Neville, Watkins, Bohanna, Hankins and Watkins ....however none are off the table, if you have a preference (and you need a DT) give us a call. At least that way we make, as they say in contract law, "an invitation to treat" without indicating a preferred cut.