Twitter: Cowboys tried to trade for Von Miller

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yes, the money would definitely have to be right. And that means not a whole lot. I think Miller is 32, and he needs to realize where he’s at in his career with regard to salary expectations.

No question.......he's already made his big money. So you would think that wouldn't be a huge priority but hell it would still take some juggling to make it work. For example, can we guarantee him a starting position? If so, at whose expense? Are we switching to 3-4?

Either way, the thought of him, DLaw, Gregory and Parsons in the same defense.........

JustChip

Reaction score
An early sign of Texans dysfunction. Things have only gotten worse from there.
Yep, you know your a horrible FO when the Osweiler deal is the pinnacle of your success. Jerry has never been that bad although he came close with UT Roy Williams.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No question.......he's already made his big money. So you would think that wouldn't be a huge priority but hell it would still take some juggling to make it work. For example, can we guarantee him a starting position? If so, at whose expense? Are we switching to 3-4?

Either way, the thought of him, DLaw, Gregory and Parsons in the same defense.........

Oh no, in my scenario Lawrence is out. I think this team has to move on from his huge cap hit regardless.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Nonsense. You either are all in on winning a championship or you're not.

The Rams are. We're not.
Ok so let me ask you this, what price? All in at what price?

The reports is that we tried but we were apparently beat out by the Rams. Know that the Rams gave up a second and third, so what would it have taken for us to top them! I’m guess a first and second next year or two seconds for the next two consecutive years.

What’s the price Risen?

Rayman70

Reaction score
tenor.gif

Rayman70

Reaction score
Don’t get to say this much but the FO did well passing on Miller
Drafting well is key to continued success and Cowboys have been hitting on draft picks
Hold on to our picks...
all kidding aside, I agree. He's like 32 and hit and miss these days. Still need 2 account for him though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t get to say this much but the FO did well passing on Miller
Drafting well is key to continued success and Cowboys have been hitting on draft picks
Hold on to our picks...

I agree.

I will criticize them when I feel they’ve passed on what I feel is a good deal but also praise them for not overpaying. I feel the Rams overpaid.

khiladi

Reaction score
I’m not sure why the league allows the trading team to still pay a players salary. That’s an obvious end run around the cap. The contract should always go with the player in a trade scenario. This is basically buying draft picks with salary cap dollars and should not be allowed.

It seems like it’s a poor-man’s version of the NBA contract buy-out…

Aven8

Reaction score
That’s interesting information. Thanks for sharing it.

:thumbup:

What would you think of a pairing of Miller (at a reasonable cost) and Gregory? I think it’s very likely that this is Lawrence’s last season in Dallas.

I think it would buy the team some time to draft and develop a young replacement.

Gregory is 29 but has no years on his body. I’m thinking he’s going to get a huge contract. Every day that goes by it goes up. It’s going to be interesting to see how this goes. For Miller, He’s just too old IMO. What they were hoping for is he came in and basically did what Micha did for us with the ability to keep Micha at Mike.

Aulac

Reaction score
This is seriously bad news bear type of news for us. Miller was the AFC defensive player of the month in September. Clay Matthew who was broken with only 3.5 sacks got 8 sacks on the Rams thanks to AD99. Miller with the Donald effect will look close to 2015 Miller again. But not only that, this year Miller has been incredible with run defense, which is one of the Rams weakness, and now it is fix.

Also Snead is good at drafting in the later round, and the Rams are only paying a 2nd for Miller since if he walk, they will get a 3rd round comp pick. On top of that, just heard rumor that the Rams will extend him in the off-season.

Reactions: BAT

rambo2

Reaction score
Not if the Rams eliminate them and go on to win a Super Bowl. Nobody will give a bleep about those draft picks.
The Rams are well on their way to being a bad team. A few injuries and they will be finished and they have nothing in future drafts. A recipe for disaster.

lk8701

Reaction score
Isn't Von Miller a poor "scheme fit" for a 4-3 defense? I mean that's the reason why the Cowboys drafted Taco instead of TJ Watt. :facepalm:

kevm3

Reaction score
I'm tired of hearing this 'we tried' nonsense. No we didn't. If we wanted him, he'd be here.

Reactions: BAT