Twitter: Cowboys tried to trade for Von Miller

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not if a team is in all out "win now" mode and the Rams certainly are.

The Cowboys are still building the defense and giving up that kind of draft capital is poor decision making.
We never thought we would be this competitive this soon.

We are still young and building.

Rams put all their eggs in 2021 basket. No 1,2,3 pick and will probably lose miller....

blueblood70

Reaction score
Agree on the first part. But LA has more of a challenge winning their division. They may not and have to be a wild card. I’m not sure Miller tips the scale greatly in that.

Regarding the second point, I see this season more like 2016 and the Eagles in 2017. Teams on getting on a roll and riding it. Granted, the Cowboys fell short in 2016, but that was a rookie Dak. And this defense is better than the 2016 defense.
what sux is if we are 4th seed and have to play the cards or Rams in the first round..ughh

It will be very important to get to 2 or 3 somehow..might be thought to get the bye and 1st seed but get off that #4 should be the goal..

Proof

Reaction score
Not to mention -- there isn't a defense in this league today that can stop this Dallas offense if all integral components are healthy (big if). So getting Von Miler may help the Rams get by the Cardinals in their division, but I still don't see that as a problem for Dak and our explosive offense (assuming our OL can give him time).

The bigger deal for me is Micah Parsons. Who else among the NFC contenders has a defensive player like Parsons, like a young L.T., who can just take over a game defensively?

AD, von miller and Jalen Ramsey goes a long way to doing so. I wouldn't take it lightly

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i don't really find it similar. texans paid to get rid of osweiler by sending him and picks to the browns. broncos traded a player w/ some value. i guess "technically" them agreeing to cover his tab increases the return, but still doesn't seem the same at all to me

Not in terms of player quality to be sure. But paying Miller’s $9 million remaining salary as well as sending the player is buying draft picks.

Reactions: BAT

Proof

Reaction score
Not in terms of player quality to be sure. But paying Miller’s $9 million remaining salary as well as sending the player is buying draft picks.

i guess. but we see players get traded and salary absorbed all the time. we've never seen anything like the osweiler deal

blueblood70

Reaction score
we do have Tank and Gallimore coming back real soon and thats like getting free help late for the push..

there are far more of these deals behind the scene the cowboys have at least been part of that we dont know about..its cool to see they are at least considering it but we have far different philosophy for our drafts picks and frankly are one of the better drafting teams in the league the last 10 years..regardless of the mistakes..reghardles sof what some fans say,

Proof

Reaction score
Rams don't have a 1,2,3 next year. They are old and have a few FA. All eggs in one basket...
2021 basket

they're not particularly old. they've got a good amount of veterans, but not especially old players. I think they have 3 guys on their roster over 30.

Reactions: BAT

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i guess. but we see players get traded and salary absorbed all the time. we've never seen anything like the osweiler deal

I think the Osweiler deal was the first where draft picks and finances were so directly tied into the deal. At least in my memory.

Proof

Reaction score
I think the Osweiler deal was the first where draft picks and finances were so directly tied into the deal. At least in my memory.

imagine that distinction. so bad we will pay someone to take you.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I’m not sure why the league allows the trading team to still pay a players salary. That’s an obvious end run around the cap. The contract should always go with the player in a trade scenario. This is basically buying draft picks with salary cap dollars and should not be allowed.

ICP

Reaction score
Hopefully the front office is still looking into some players before the deadline passes

Beaker42

Reaction score
Dang, the Rams are all in this year.

They are certainly mortgaging their future trying to win now.
They should just change their name to the Los Angeles Eagles.

All that and they may not even make it to the NFCC.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
we do have Tank and Gallimore coming back real soon and thats like getting free help late for the push..

there are far more of these deals behind the scene the cowboys have at least been part of that we dont know about..its cool to see they are at least considering it but we have far different philosophy for our drafts picks and frankly are one of the better drafting teams in the league the last 10 years..regardless of the mistakes..reghardles sof what some fans say,
Dallas is absolutely one of the best drafting teams in the league.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
If we are going to trade for anything can we trade for a kicker who is better than the current Russian Roullete one we have?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes, outside of some taco blunders, the Cowboys overall drafting has been excellent. And we’ll need that to continue so that we can offset big contracts with cheap talent.

fredp22

Reaction score
2nd and 3rd is to much to rent a player for half a year. Diggs, Dlaw, Gregory were all 2nds-heck Larry Allen was a 2nd. Giving that and a 3rd for a 32 yo for 1/2 a year is to much

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This should make people less mad at the front office?

I'm fine with passing on that price

The only way we should trade is commodity for commodity. In other words, we'll give you a young starting lineman (Williams) for an older starting player or a young starting receiver (Gallup) for an older starting player. Those moves hurt our depth, but if they give us a starter, then they are worth it. For the team we'd trade too, it would give them a building block even though they would have to strike a long-term deal.