Twitter: Cowboys Tweets 5/23

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree.

Coaching and QB matter more then the overall roster.

If you have great coaching and QB play the pieces around those 2 things don't seem to matter as much in the salary cap era because all teams are so similar.

Neglecting schematics puts the Cowboys at a disadvantage and puts to much stress on the talent.

Playing into our tendencies is a reason why you see the teeter totter from 2014 to 2016.

The mentality you have is the same the coaches have. The problem is other teams are figuring out how to stop what we do and arrogantly not changing has cost us consistent success.

Now after the season is over they supposedly want to change the pass game instead of getting out in front of it.

Coaching is how you get a good overall roster. You need to find the right players, and then they need to be developed. Coaching from the offseason on, from Monday through Saturday is more important than what plays are called in a group chat over a headset on Sunday afternoon.

QB is obviously important. We've had great QB play in most of the Garrett era for one reason or another. Stopping the QB, though, is just important, and that's the area where we've struggled. Especially in the post season.

Playing to tendencies isn't the reason we've had uneven results. When we have good QB play, we win a lot of games. When we have bad QB play, we don't. The fact that we haven't done a good job of stopping opposing QBs overall is the reason why we eventually lose games to good teams even when we do have good QB play. Giving up 26 points on the road in 2014 and 34 at home in 2016, not being able to stop the game-winning drive by a great QB in both cases has been the problem. Not 'creativity on offense,' 'complexity of scheme' or 'play calling.' Wrap up Rodgers when you get a hand on him. Get to him in the first place despite the two OLs holding you. Get your hand on the ball in the secondary. Somebody has to make a play to get you to advance in the post season.

Anybody think the Cowboys defense makes that stop v. Matt Ryan and ATL in a home playoff game like PHI did this year? I know I don't. Let's pretend Garrett and company make the exact same set of calls Doug Pederson and company did in that game, since everybody loves Doug Pederson, now. You like our chances on that 4th and goal? I know I don't.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Anybody think the Cowboys defense makes that stop v. Matt Ryan and ATL in a home playoff game like PHI did this year? I know I don't. Let's pretend Garrett and company make the exact same set of calls Doug Pederson and company did in that game, since everybody loves Doug Pederson, now. You like our chances on that 4th and goal? I know I don't.

When we played Atlanta, it wasn't the playoffs, but we could've won that game with our current defense if the offense wouldn't have completely crippled the team.

All things equal do we get that stop? Probably not.

I just don't feel like this coaching staff gives us any edge or advantage on game day. You can clearly see it in their playcalling.

We're trying to 90's it up and just out athlete the other team. That is not enough in todays modern game.

Even if we had the best playcallers in the league though I would be calling for the coach to be gone if they went almost a decade and had 1 playoff win to show for it. Especially when you consider some of the talent on this team.

That is not acceptable and it's being treated like it's ok. Jason Garrett has proven for a decade that he can't get us over the top.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When we played Atlanta, it wasn't the playoffs, but we could've won that game with our current defense if the offense wouldn't have completely crippled the team.

All things equal do we get that stop? Probably not.

I just don't feel like this coaching staff gives us any edge or advantage on game day. You can clearly see it in their playcalling.

We're trying to 90's it up and just out athlete the other team. That is not enough in todays modern game.

Even if we had the best playcallers in the league though I would be calling for the coach to be gone if they went almost a decade and had 1 playoff win to show for it. Especially when you consider some of the talent on this team.

That is not acceptable and it's being treated like it's ok. Jason Garrett has proven for a decade that he can't get us over the top.

Our ATL game was a different circumstance last year, where the offense (and defense, but most notably the offense) failed us, for sure.

We're not going to agree on play calling, ever, so it's kind of pointless to tackle it. I'm always going to say that 'if we're productive in terms of points/possession, I don't care if the play calling is good or not.' I don't agree with you that the play calling on offense is a huge problem anyway. I don't particularly like the offensive scheme and I think we're pretty average in terms of play calling, but it doesn't bother me because we score points anyway.

Defensively, I get bothered, because we give up too many points per series, and we have going back to 2011. We devote too few resources to defense, and we take wildly unnecessary risks on defenders with substance and health issues to try to shoot the moon, and it hurts us. We really did lose postseason games because of a play or two in 2014 and 2016, and there were a ton of opportunities to make better plays on the defensive side of the ball.

As far as the playoff record argument goes, while I agree that it's a factor that eventually gets all coaches fired, it's still the case that we're losing close postseason games to good teams more for organizational reasons than we are because of the coaching or (especially) play calling. Save a little spite for the officials' rulings for the Dez catch, the Butler unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, and the Irving double-hold non-calls, but mostly we just don't have enough talent on defense to make up for the offensive stalls that inevitably happen when you're playing really good teams. Put a couple of talented defenders in the lineup in place of Gregory and Jaylon and maybe the results are different. Sign Zack Brown to a position of obvious need last year and maybe your LB corps doesn't go in the tank when Lee pulls a hammy in week 10 or early in the season when Hitchens was out with the injury in camp. These are pretty easy mistakes to avoid that probably have little to do with Jason Garrett.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yeah, damn that 2 year starter who was a 4th round pick for not being a complete player right away. He's so horrible he's broken records for his play and won rookie of the year

Please leave your strawman arguments out of this.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I still never bought to the "forcing" throws to Dez from the coaches...that is BS...it is on Dak, he makes the decision who to throw to.
And this play calling as it is called to Dez be the primary target, so it looks like it is a forced throw. Well all teams do that, after all the primary WR will get most of the calls.

The deal here, is the scheme is too predictable. So without a true #1, someone will start to get more targets, so defenses will catch up to it. IF the scheme even works.

I agree. In his rookie year, Dak made his progressions. Last year, his footwork deteriorated and he started locking in guys. I think the 8 sack game had a lot to do with it, though. His fundamentals definitely regressed.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Nah. He’ll be fine and the crow will be served.

And that whole notion that he goes through his progression, sees an open receiver then moves away from the open receiver is way off. I’ve watched every snap of Dak’s career. That happened only a handful of times compared to your notion that it happened numerous times.

You're missing a lot then.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
As far as the playoff record argument goes, while I agree that it's a factor that eventually gets all coaches fired, it's still the case that we're losing close postseason games to good teams more for organizational reasons than we are because of the coaching or (especially) play calling. Save a little spite for the officials' rulings for the Dez catch, the Butler unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, and the Irving double-hold non-calls, but mostly we just don't have enough talent on defense to make up for the offensive stalls that inevitably happen when you're playing really good teams. Put a couple of talented defenders in the lineup in place of Gregory and Jaylon and maybe the results are different. Sign Zack Brown to a position of obvious need last year and maybe your LB corps doesn't go in the tank when Lee pulls a hammy in week 10 or early in the season when Hitchens was out with the injury in camp. These are pretty easy mistakes to avoid that probably have little to do with Jason Garrett.

So now that we're finally about to field a pretty good defense Romo, Witten, and Dez are gone.

That's how it works.

So you can't blame talent. You'll always have to coach around something and scheme can overcome weakness in an area.

The things that have gone wrong in these games are just no longer a coincidence.

Jason Garrett has had too much time to have playoff success. No coach should be allowed the time he has had. Especially for a franchise like the Dallas Cowboys.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Coaching is how you get a good overall roster. You need to find the right players, and then they need to be developed. Coaching from the offseason on, from Monday through Saturday is more important than what plays are called in a group chat over a headset on Sunday afternoon.

QB is obviously important. We've had great QB play in most of the Garrett era for one reason or another. Stopping the QB, though, is just important, and that's the area where we've struggled. Especially in the post season.

Playing to tendencies isn't the reason we've had uneven results. When we have good QB play, we win a lot of games. When we have bad QB play, we don't. The fact that we haven't done a good job of stopping opposing QBs overall is the reason why we eventually lose games to good teams even when we do have good QB play. Giving up 26 points on the road in 2014 and 34 at home in 2016, not being able to stop the game-winning drive by a great QB in both cases has been the problem. Not 'creativity on offense,' 'complexity of scheme' or 'play calling.' Wrap up Rodgers when you get a hand on him. Get to him in the first place despite the two OLs holding you. Get your hand on the ball in the secondary. Somebody has to make a play to get you to advance in the post season.

Coaching is getting the most out of your players and assistants. It's also putting them in the right positions to succeed by calling a smart game, including plays, substitutions and clock management.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. In his rookie year, Dak made his progressions. Last year, his footwork deteriorated and he started locking in guys. I think the 8 sack game had a lot to do with it, though. His fundamentals definitely regressed.

OL injuries and running game, ever knowing Zeke was there or not, and when he was out. Even Dez was again, having some injuries, and tendinitis toward the end there. Dak was under pressure a lot. And that effected him and his mental process at times as well.

Maybe Moore will surprise us as QB coach and get his regressed turned around.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That was a tough one. It would have been great to get him back from IR and into practice. But if they really like Jarwin, it's good, now, that we've got access to them both still, since it gives us one more guy who might step up in camp.

ksg811

Reaction score
That was a tough one. It would have been great to get him back from IR and into practice. But if they really like Jarwin, it's good, now, that we've got access to them both still, since it gives us one more guy who might step up in camp.

Yes, it would've been very tough to carry 5 TEs on the roster. We'll never know, but I can't imagine their intent was to keep him away from practice all year. Philly forcing the front office's hand on Jarwin may have been the dagger to Rico's season.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
This was absolutely the case. He became skittish. Needs to figure out how to keep those mechanics in the face of consistent pressure to take the next step - because he's simply not a QB who can throw with consistent accuracy from any footwork or arm angle.