Cowboys very interested in Nkemdiche

Plankton

Reaction score
Just like Ezekial Ansah's 4.5 CAREER sacks at BYU haven't translated AT ALL to the NFL. Or, J.J. Watt's 11.5 sacks at Wisconsin showed that he would be the ONLY NFL PLAYER IN HISTORY to record multiple seasons of at least 20 sacks. Talent just needs to be pushed in the right direction.

Huge difference in the guys you mentioned and Nkemdiche.

Ansah didn't play football until he got to BYU. Watt also converted from TE to the DL. With both players, there was never a question about their work ethics, motor or character.

Nkemdiche has questions about his character and a serious lack of production.

Reactions: BAT

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Huge difference in the guys you mentioned and Nkemdiche.

Ansah didn't play football until he got to BYU. Watt also converted from TE to the DL. With both players, there was never a question about their work ethics, motor or character.

Nkemdiche has questions about his character and a serious lack of production.

I agree with your assessment completely and would be against taking him in first round due to his lack of production. But in the second round, the guy's power, speed and nastiness are intriguing. Would be a 1 Tech for Marinelli though.

RandyOh

Reaction score
i would take him in the 2nd. If their is one coach who can fire him up and keep him fired it would be Hot Rod

Plankton

Reaction score
I agree with your assessment completely and would be against taking him in first round due to his lack of production. But in the second round, the guy's power, speed and nastiness are intriguing. Would be a 1 Tech for Marinelli though.

I am in the school of needing to see production to expect it on the next level. For all of the guys who bring up outlier prospects who turned out to be good NFL players without production in college, tell me what is more likely - for a guy who couldn't produce on a lower level to suddenly become productive in the pros, or for a guy who produced at the college level to become an underachiever and not produce? You have to be able to measure your investment somehow - for me, it isn't with a stop watch, hula hoop and a tackling dummy. I would look to see how the player produced in actual competition, and against good competition.

Nkemdiche is the type of prospect that gets coaching and scouting staffs fired.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Technically I guess Hardy is the (worse) guy but I read Roberts brother is knucklehead who will be living with Robert. My point is why touch him when he may not even be good. Atleast we know Hardy can play.

Okay. I just was trying to explain why tm responded the way he did.

RS12

Reaction score
  • Ole Miss defensive end Robert Nkemdiche had a weird incident in 2015 but teams are still evaluating him like he’s a top five pick, according to Matt Miller of Bleacher Report (videolink). Specifically, the Cowboys are taking a hard look at him and so are the Chargers. Nkemdiche boasts tremendous size and moves like a tight end, so it’s not hard for teams to overlook some off-the-field red flags. For his part, Miller sees him as a strong fit for Dallas but also feels that the Titans are a logical destination. However, that doesn’t mean that Tennessee will reach and take him No. 1 overall.
http://www.profootballrumors.com/cowboys-serious-interest-robert-nkemdiche/

kazzd58

Reaction score
I am in the school of needing to see production to expect it on the next level. For all of the guys who bring up outlier prospects who turned out to be good NFL players without production in college, tell me what is more likely - for a guy who couldn't produce on a lower level to suddenly become productive in the pros, or for a guy who produced at the college level to become an underachiever and not produce? You have to be able to measure your investment somehow - for me, it isn't with a stop watch, hula hoop and a tackling dummy. I would look to see how the player produced in actual competition, and against good competition.

and you know that specifically how?

Plankton

Reaction score
and you know that specifically how?

I have very little faith that Nkemdiche will live up to his potential as a player. He didn't at Ole Miss - certainly his production wasn't there. The smoking synthetic weed and falling out of a window routine also doesn't point toward a stable, reliable player. The signs are all there.

Would you stake your job on Nkemdiche becoming a big time player? If you are picking him, that's in effect what you would be doing. If it were me, the answer would be no.

JBS

Reaction score
This team needs help on the DL more than anything else...I don't know who the answers are..but we need a minimum of two stud DL..maybe one can come in FA

Bocephus

Reaction score
I would rather have Andrew billings the dude has amazing strength, but could learn more pass rush technique, he collapses the pocket even when double teamed and the kids only 19 (until March 6)

JeffInDC

Reaction score

Well, if that's the case, I would throw in names like Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Joe Montana, Terrell Davis, Curtis Martin, Frank Gore, T.O., Rod Smith, Hines Ward.......................I could probably go on for days. College production OR lack thereof is not always the best way to judge these guys. Some great college producers went on to do NOTHING in the pros (see Archie Griffin, Charles White, Rashaun Woods, etc...........). So, are they outliers as well?

Plankton

Reaction score
Well, if that's the case, I would throw in names like Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Joe Montana, Terrell Davis, Curtis Martin, Frank Gore, T.O., Rod Smith, Hines Ward.......................I could probably go on for days. College production OR lack thereof is not always the best way to judge these guys. Some great college producers went on to do NOTHING in the pros (see Archie Griffin, Charles White, Rashaun Woods, etc...........). So, are they outliers as well?

To a degree. Griffin failed because he was too small, and was not an especially quick player. White failed because he had a cocaine problem. I still haven't figured out why Rashaun Woods failed - that one really surprised me.

Favre, Martin, Gore, Owens and Hines Ward were all producers at the college level. Martin was dinged a bit because of an ankle injury his last year at Pitt. Rod Smith was from a very low level of play. Terrell Davis was badmouthed big time by his coach at Georgia as he went to the pros.

I would bet on production every day of the week over guys who haven't done it. It's the job of the teams to figure out why a guy hasn't, but betting on one who hasn't to suddenly do it is typically a loser's bet.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If he tests clean at the Combine and has great workouts and all-star performances, he'll be taken in the top 10.

Kaiser

Reaction score
In some ways I hope he slides to the second round and we take him just to hear Jerry stumble over his name. Of course I say this every year concerning someone with a odd sounding name.

C'mon, put three drinks in Jerry and then hearing him say "Nike In The Ditchy" will have its only Zone on this website.